Boards & Rec
Old 10-07-2011, 01:39 PM   #1
KING_HOMER
rap game taylor swift

Default should i get dark souls

i feel like i'll just get frustrated and quit after two hours

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by hughes View Post
basically all of my favorite bands have been mocked by somebody in my life, at least on a more general level. i'm honestly fine with it

Instagram
KING_HOMER is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-07-2011, 01:57 PM   #2
hamm
robert de niro's waiting

Yeah this is pretty much what I'm thinking. I really want to love this game because it looks awesome and I want it to do well but if my playtime is going to consist of wrist-slitting frustration then I'm not sure...

hamm is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-07-2011, 02:32 PM   #3
DAntae
Hardcore Boarder

I played through a good part of demon souls. I fould it to be a challenge, which is usually what I want. I plan to finish it but it slid way down the backlog. dark souls looks better in every way. one of you buy it and give some impressions.

DAntae is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-07-2011, 03:24 PM   #4
benjamin
-

From what I've heard, it sounds like it's the worst example of games that make you replay hours and hours of long sections because there's not many continue points, which just sounds so annoying, I'm fine with a game being hard, but I'm not down with having to repeat long sections over and over.

benjamin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-07-2011, 04:19 PM   #5
fritz
^_______^

Yeah, there's no way I'd finish this if I bought it

It does look badass though

fritz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-07-2011, 11:51 PM   #6
Channel Surfer
Hardcore Boarder

I'll probably pick it up in a month or two. Maybe I'll bump the thread then. Though I kind of have a feeling that people here are letting their worries about the difficulty scare them away from a game they'll probably enjoy.

If nothing else I'm glad to see that Demon's Souls was successful enough to get a spiritual successor out, and that there's a market for a game that sees its difficulty as something beyond just trying to capture some kind of old-school charm, but also something that's essential and sincere for its world.

Channel Surfer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-04-2012, 07:47 PM   #7
Channel Surfer
Hardcore Boarder

OK, I finally started playing this. Not too far in, just explored some of the forest outside the castle, but there are a few points I want to note:
  • Checkpoints are far more generous than Demon's Souls. For those that never played it, your respawn points were limited to the start of each level and every boss along the way. Which wasn't much, given the size of the worlds, and while you could unlock a few shortcuts here and there, there were long stretches that you needed to learn or you were going to repeat. This game in comparison scatters bonfires very liberally. That's not to say you can checkpoint spam, but the early game is a bit more welcoming in that regard.

• On the other hand there are some subtle nerfs to cut down on cheesier tactics. Equip burden is much more demanding if you want the fast roll, and it seems like there are fewer invincibility frames when dodging. Also, with the flask only restocking at checkpoints (as opposed to the near limitless grasses in Demon's Souls) your healing is far more limited.

• More than even Demon's Souls, this game encourages exploration and deliberately leaves open ominous areas that you know you're not ready for if you're game for treasure. Those items in that graveyard may look tempting, but you know what's going to come after you if you head down there. Or see that sparkling corpse sitting there, with that shadowy dude with that giant sword and shield guarding it? Remember when your last checkpoint was? Think you want to risk it?

• Game is far happier tossing out random demons out of nowhere, no longer are they mostly just boss battles. Expect to just walk into a room and encounter giant, trident wielding electric demon that just one-shots you with its jump attack.

• While there are occasional moments like the Bethesda worlds where you can climb to the top of a tower and survey all the land you're going to explore, the exploration is probably closer to something like a 3D Symphony of the Night. In that it's more maze-like, finding paths to unlock new areas where you just have to assess if you're skilled or leveled enough to handle the enemies. One downside though is that it sometimes falls to the old standby of hidden keys to unlock certain areas. Yes, I got the basement key. Now where the fuck do I use it again?
Still need to test the PvP and other online multiplayer elements to see how they compare to Demon's, but this game is living up to expectations right now, and I know I've only scratched the surface of it. Anyone else picked it up? Or Demon's Souls for that matter?

Old 01-05-2012, 07:59 AM   #8
CeetjeBeetje
Brick fucking MASTER!

Doesn't really sound like they'll be games for me. I'm playing Skyrim at the moment, maybe around 20 hours in or so. And I hope I don't quit this after a while, beacuse it's way too massive. I quit Fallout 3 after a while beacuse it got old after a while. But I'm still liking Skyrim.
But regarding the few checkpoints in Demon Souls and Dark Souls. Skyrim is really hard and sometime I die 7-10 in a row, which frustrates the hell out of me. And I always save it before going into battle with something I'm not sure about. Having to walk the same route and fight the same monsters 10 times in a row would kill me.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Guns don't kill people. Physics kill people!

CeetjeBeetje is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-05-2012, 12:53 PM   #9
Channel Surfer
Hardcore Boarder

It's a shame there had to be three major large adventure games released so close together. Makes it hard to keep up with everything. Skyrim I've pushed to last if only to wait out the worst glitches and patches.

It's important to keep in mind though with this and Demon's Souls that while the games are deliberately designed to be punishing, they are not thoughtless about it. I've played games much harder - and easier - that are far more frustrating because of their tactless challenges. As the game's director has made clear, and posts like this note, there is something very instructive about the difficulty. You learn to appreciate the deliberate design of the world, the placement of the enemies, the patterns, the strengths and limitations of your weapons and spells and what work best in each area. Very little seems arbitrary designed, or copy and pasted down without care. And it makes those hard fought treasures all the more rewarding when you do find them and you know how they are useful.

Old 01-05-2012, 06:23 PM   #10
bun_slew_gladiator
I THOUGHT U KNEW

get it

its not that frustrating

bun_slew_gladiator is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-09-2012, 10:34 PM   #11
Chapel
Hardcore Boarder

I hear all this gab about the game being CRAZY HARD but is the thing fun?

It looks like you run around and just slash at monsters with a sword. Without any flashy gimmicks or variables, just a glorified beat-em-up with artificial difficulty.

Am I wrong? Because that sounds like a shitty game to me.

Chapel is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-10-2012, 02:55 AM   #12
Channel Surfer
Hardcore Boarder

Well, there are certainly plenty of variables with the combat, with a large degree of class and weapon customization that all play fairly differently, though pattern recognition and cheesy tactics are still very much a part of the game (not entirely to its detriment either). More importantly, the game places a heavier emphasis on environmental awareness than similar games, with larger weapons rendered ineffective when ricocheting off walls, traps and out of the way corners hiding ambushes, etc. Just about every enemy placement feels very deliberate to at least force you to learn something different, or force you to dissect the area to minimize getting hit, or at least has some quirk or behavior to distinguish it from everything else. It's not going to open with radroaches in hallways. Hell it's the kind of the game that will toss one-off enemies in a dead end just to guard some kind of treasure. And again it really isn't that hard either. If you've played Devil May Cry or Ninja Gaiden or Bayonetta, you're way more than prepared for this. It's more a design sensibility, learning through either attention or failure, that I think fosters that reputation.

There's also the online component as well, the clues from other players that may or may not help you out, and the push-pull between either taking human form and being open to better rewards and opportunities as well as getting aid from other players but also being vulnerable to competing players looking to kill you for any number of reasons or taking it safer and remaining undead.

I'll also add that while combat is important, it's also a game driven as much by its exploration, with (so far) a very cohesive, coherent world where you're largely left on your own to figure it out. This is actually its truer old-school sensibility honestly, kind of like the NES Zelda or Metroid there's no heavy hand funneling you onto the correct path, and it's very easy to explore - or just accidentally fall into - some weird detour that may or may not bring you on the right path. Like those games you can get lost for hours, or speedrun it in less than an hour and a half. The difference however, is much like the enemy placement, the environments (again so far) are very carefully and deliberately designed, with little in the way of the blatant copy-and-paste design that dungeon crawlers are infamous for, even pulling that trick from Ico where different vantage points will eventually allow you to see how the whole castle eventually comes together.

I don't know if that appeals to you or not. Fun isn't exactly some variable independent of the game's features. And I do have issues with the game I may get into later. But it doesn't exactly match your characterization either. And its praise isn't just about the over-promoted difficulty either.

The link I posted earlier also does a fair job of describing the game too, even if the Kendo stuff is a little goofy.

Old 12-23-2014, 07:58 PM   #13
KING_HOMER
rap game taylor swift

bump

kinda funny that this was my original attitude about probably my favorite game of the decade / ever

KING_HOMER is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-23-2014, 09:43 PM   #14
Magnum
Forum Leader

i own both demon souls and dark souls and i haven't even played them yet

Magnum is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-24-2014, 01:14 PM   #15
cerulean privilege
noticing the porcelain cat

ive played like ~5 minutes of dark souls

i should start it again

cerulean privilege is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-24-2014, 01:46 PM   #16
benjamin
-

So I just recently got a gaming PC and rebought Dark Souls when it was on the steam sale a couple of day ago, then they suddenly announced the debug version of the game had been leaked. So that's fun.

It's hilarious how much my attitude towards the souls games have changed. Although to be fair the main thing that put me off initially was the idea of long gaps between check points, which is more of a problem in Demon's Souls but reviewers were talking as if you could suddenly lose hours of progress because you suddenly walked into a trap or some shit. Which really isn't true, and they didn't bother to talk much about the mechanic of getting back to your bloodstain which changes things so much.

Last edited by benjamin; 12-24-2014 at 02:00 PM.
benjamin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-24-2014, 02:25 PM   #17
kupomog
spring love, come back to me

I'm so mad that you guys discussed the shit out of this game in the general thread instead of here. I might just move all the posts here one day so it'll be easier for me to look back to on the day I inevitably have to considering it was the only game/series extensively talked about here in the last year besides TWD.

kupomog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-24-2014, 10:13 PM   #18
The Sovereign
Hella wet

Quote:
Originally Posted by cerulean privilege View Post
ive played like ~5 minutes of dark souls

i should start it again
definitely should. I remember the first time I played it I got stuck on the Taurus Demon fight and got frustrated and just stopped playing....but a couple weeks later I picked it up again, got past him, and just ran through the rest of the game. All 3 are really great (even if Dark Souls 2 is more inconsistent than the others) and lots of fun once you understand the mechanics a bit

The Sovereign is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-30-2015, 10:46 PM   #19
nathan
slouching toward nirvana

at this point its like 20 bucks at most. you absolutely should.

twitter

nathan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-19-2019, 08:14 AM   #20
CeetjeBeetje
Brick fucking MASTER!

BUMP

I was just browsing some of the old threads. When I see Dark Souls, I click.
Pretty fun to read these ancient posts about Dark Souls, wondering what it is and if it is worth the time.
Even my own 2012 post claiming those games are probably not for me. "I'll stick to playing Skyrim, thank you" Today, my favourite game is Bloodborne. From Software games have the power to draw anyone in.
To be honest, I haven't finished Dark Souls yet. I bought the remaster and got stuck at Orstein and Smough. Just wanted to play Nioh again at that point. I'll finish Dark Souls at some point, though.

Well, Sekiro: Shadows die twice is coming out this week. I'm really excited to play that one. The Japanese setting looks really cool in this game. I like the Japanese setting in Nioh very much as well, but it looks even cooler in Sekiro.
Any of you gonna pick it up soon?

CeetjeBeetje is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-09-2019, 11:39 AM   #21
DAntae
Hardcore Boarder

anyone tried Salt & Sanctuary? it gets a lot of comparison to the Souls games. I plan to pick it up on the switch. just wondering if anyone already got to play it for a significant amount of time.

DAntae is offline   Reply With Quote

User Tag List