Boards & Rec
Old 01-05-2009, 08:06 PM   #31
Tino
was metroidmike9

yeah that whole tranquility lane quest was pretty cool and it was nice to see that the story line isn't linear and there are a lot plot twists to make it more interesting. it makes for a great balance between the main quest line and the side quests.

Tino is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-05-2009, 09:12 PM   #32
Fish
meh.

I wish that they would just hurry up and let us know what day this month the Operation Ancorage DLC comes out.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Twitter | Facebook | Flickr | Last.fm

Fish is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-06-2009, 04:18 PM   #33
Channel Surfer
Hardcore Boarder

Quote:
Originally Posted by billi vanilli View Post
i'm really bad at fallout. like, embarrassingly bad. i've never played an open ended RPG like this before. right now i'm supposed to be on my way to the washington monument for three dog but i keep dying and having to go back and do the same shit over and over again. i'm having a lot of trouble getting EXP points or whatever. and for some reason my guy fucking blows when firing a gun. i almost always miss when shooting stuff and i can never find ammo
Don't know how you customized your character and what not (I think I had about 50 skill points in small guns then), but I generally just used the VATS auto-targeting to aim for the heads of the normal super mutants with an assault rifle or submachine gun. Since I usually could aim three times, that was often enough to finish them, or at least seriously cripple them. If taken out one-on-one like that (and in most cases that should be doable), they were rarely an issue.

Side quests tend to be the best way to gain experience as well.

You're probably past this point by now, but if it helps I guess.

Channel Surfer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-06-2009, 07:27 PM   #34
BILLY
BOARD MESSIAH COMPLEX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Channel Surfer View Post
You're probably past this point by now, but if it helps I guess.
no, i'm not.

i should have upgraded small guns more at first. i focused on speech and lockpick instead. really stupid.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

trill

BILLY is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-06-2009, 07:30 PM   #35
Magnum
Forum Leader

hahaha yeah that definitely spells trouble

Magnum is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-06-2009, 08:05 PM   #36
Channel Surfer
Hardcore Boarder

Quote:
no, i'm not.

i should have upgraded small guns more at first. i focused on speech and lockpick instead. really stupid.
How many skill points are you getting per level? I maxed intelligence early so I'm getting 23, but even if you're getting far less it should still be easy enough to dump a decent amount into small guns in a level or two if you feel it's absolutely necessary. Game's pretty forgiving and flexible regarding the choices you make though.

Lockpick and speech are good skills however. Regretted that I kept speech low early game and eventually pushed it to 100 later just to make conversations easier.

Old 01-06-2009, 08:30 PM   #37
BILLY
BOARD MESSIAH COMPLEX

i think i'm getting 16 per level up and right now i'm a low level 5

i'm really bad at this game. i'm thinking maybe i should just scrap what i've done so far and go back to the start, because honestly, i've made practically no progress.

Old 01-06-2009, 09:18 PM   #38
kupomog
spring love, come back to me

Well it wouldn't be such a horrible idea to start over. I've done so on several games I've sucked at, then once I really got what I was supposed to be doing, I just started over. Less frustrating in the end for me to do that.

kupomog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-06-2009, 09:51 PM   #39
Kiyosuki
Profound Sadness

If the Fatboy gets you pumped up like that then try to track down the Experimental MIRV.

I just played the whole thing like a total RPG, just using VATS. I barely used the first person shooter aspect to it, just when I needed to occasionally get an extra shot in between AP charging, or to use Melee attack moves. But by the end of the game I got the perk that recharges your AP to full after successfully killing someone in VATS so that doesn't even matter for me by the end.

Kiyosuki is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-07-2009, 06:15 AM   #40
BILLY
BOARD MESSIAH COMPLEX

can't say i'm shocked danny boy

so i restarted this and it made all the difference. i'm a much better shot. i made as much progress in 3 hours as i did in 15 before. still bad at the game but getting a little better...

Old 01-07-2009, 11:39 AM   #41
beats by dre
what she order? fish fillet

i'm still getting to grips fully with fallout 3. i've only got about 2 hours total on it so far but i've got the hang of most of the main things in the game and V.A.T.S makes it a hell of a alot easier.

beats by dre is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-07-2009, 12:06 PM   #42
bun_slew_gladiator
I THOUGHT U KNEW

fallout 3 is the best gaming experience i've ever had. i never got to use the fat man though because i went to rivet city before i went to gnr or something. i think it was a glitch.

just got plastic surgery from some dude who shares a name with a weezer album. you're character is supposed to be 19 or something but i still look a fucking forty year old.

anyway, i'm level 14 right now and i'm worried the main quest is gonna end on me suddenly 'cause shit's really beginning to heat up, hopefully it will autosave beforehand.

bun_slew_gladiator is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-07-2009, 01:09 PM   #43
DAntae
Hardcore Boarder

ok this weekend (hopefully) its me and some fallout 3. I still want to play too human. both are still wrapped on my downstairs table. I need as much time as you guys have

DAntae is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-07-2009, 05:08 PM   #44
bauer

I'm not going to touch the main mission for a while. Just gonna start exploring the world. Running into some very strange characters, but that's all the fun of it. FUCK this game is great.

bauer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-08-2009, 07:19 AM   #45
BILLY
BOARD MESSIAH COMPLEX

why is everyone in rivet city such an asshole

you walk up to people and they're like WHAT THE FUCK DO YOU WANT TIME IS MONEY

Old 01-08-2009, 08:02 AM   #46
Paul
scoffs at gravity

Yeah that's pretty much the main reason I blasted their heads off with a plasma rifle.

Paul is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-08-2009, 08:10 PM   #47
BILLY
BOARD MESSIAH COMPLEX

has anyone else used the bittercup glitch? thankfully it works on mine... currently abusing it
Quote:
You can gain infinite XP if your speech skill is high enough.(My speech was about 30 at the time). Go to town called "Big Town" located north of Vault 101.If you spoke with a girl named Bittercup she should tell you about her dating exploits. After speaking with her, go into the house marked "Common House" and speak to a man named Pappy. There should be a speech skill dialogue option that says "You came here with Bittercup, right?" You will get XP every time you click it. (I got 6XP with each click). Continue to do this and you can rack up XP in mere seconds.
apparently it's been fixed in some patch or something, though

Old 01-08-2009, 09:28 PM   #48
Fish
meh.

don't think there has been a patch yet for the 360. It'll be out just before the DLC. Probably fixed in the PS3 patch.

But yeah, there is a speech loop in Little Lamplight too.

also, Chinese Stealth Armor from the Operation: Anchorage DLC

Old 01-08-2009, 10:17 PM   #49
Drew
Banned

Quote:
has anyone else used the bittercup glitch? thankfully it works on mine... currently abusing it
Cheating in Fallout 3 (or any game for that matter) kinda takes out a lot of the fun and provides less incentive of playing after you beat the game.

also, that armor is badass.

Drew is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-09-2009, 12:42 AM   #50
Magnum
Forum Leader

i kinda got bored with fallout when i first got it for whatever reason, it didn't help that i couldn't find a viable store house. but this discussion inspired me to replay and i'm kicking ass this time around. so awesome. my first dude was like this messianic hero type, but that had it's problems and this time i'm going with a female anti-hero. she's into chicks.

i'm currently in the middle of a MASSIVE raid on these marauders in a valley. they've got a caged giant mutant, plus theres one about a quarter mile away that i can lure and trap. getting a fuck-ton of shit to hoard here guys.

Old 01-09-2009, 01:39 AM   #51
Channel Surfer
Hardcore Boarder

I didn't plan on committing to a good or evil path at first, but the moment I come across somebody in a game offering to let me blow up a town with a nuke, well I just had to see how that went down. After that, I was fully committed to my heretic ways.

Actually, in truth there are a lot of western RPG tropes that generally bug me and this game really isn't an exception here. I wouldn't call this game of the year or anything (though I see why others would). Still, at its best, there's a ton of shit to just explore and fuck around with and the game has enough of a sense of humor about itself that I really can't complain much. If I ever grew bored with a quest, it was easy to just drop it and hunt for the Declaration of Independence or discover a town with a phony superhero battling a phony supervillain for some reason. So yeah, I enjoyed it, even if I do feel there's a quantity over quality problem going on and a generic feel with many of the characters and setting.

Old 01-09-2009, 02:12 AM   #52
Magnum
Forum Leader

destroying the the second largest town in the game just kinda seems like you're burning your bridges.

but yeah i feel like starting an all evil character. with oblivion i just loved doing all the noble quests for the adoring public while cavorting with all the satanic vampire assassins behind their backs.

Old 01-09-2009, 03:02 AM   #53
Channel Surfer
Hardcore Boarder

Yeah well when those quests including such exciting adventures as fixing leaking pipes and characters that think they're a cowboy in the middle of a wasteland, it's time to burn some bridges with a spectacular cloud of radioactive glory. Clearly the only correct answer here.

Old 01-11-2009, 02:30 AM   #54
Magnum
Forum Leader

there has GOT to be an achievement for anyone who

succesfully shoots their way out of enclave headquarters after you're first captured 

nobody tell me what happens after this part, btw

Old 01-11-2009, 05:37 AM   #55
Channel Surfer
Hardcore Boarder

Oh, split this off from the 360 thread because any game that can generate two pages of discussion while hidden away in another thread just deserves it. Plus there might be people who don't own a 360 that might want to talk about it.

Old 01-12-2009, 12:01 PM   #56
DAntae
Hardcore Boarder

heh I forgot I originally had no interest in this. maybe it was because I was so heavily into fable II at the time.

anyhow another weekend of no gaming, this is bordering on sad levels. while out this weekend I saw someone buying the strategy guide...it was as thick as a damn textbook.

DAntae is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-12-2009, 06:33 PM   #57
|Mr.Sparkle|
Hardcore Boarder

Hey can anyone help me with this game?

I have the PC version and I am at the Slaver place, the kids at Little Lamp Post want me to rescue the slave kids, I killed everyone in the Slaver Place and there is no one here any more, even those kids left, but when I got to Little Lamp Post they still tell me I need to go find the other kids.

|Mr.Sparkle| is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-12-2009, 06:55 PM   #58
bauer

Quote:
Originally Posted by |Mr.Sparkle| View Post
Hey can anyone help me with this game?

I have the PC version and I am at the Slaver place, the kids at Little Lamp Post want me to rescue the slave kids, I killed everyone in the Slaver Place and there is no one here any more, even those kids left, but when I got to Little Lamp Post they still tell me I need to go find the other kids.
It says to meet them southwest of Paradise right? Go meet them southwest of the Paradise front gate.

bauer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-13-2009, 12:38 AM   #59
Kiyosuki
Profound Sadness

Any of you guys get yourselves an Alien Blaster yet?

Kiyosuki is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-13-2009, 01:22 AM   #60
Fish
meh.

Yeah, great weapon. Now I'm currently traveling to random encounter spots to try and get the UFO random encounter for the Firelance.

User Tag List