Boards & Rec
Old 08-12-2006, 11:41 PM   #1
skittlebrau
board robot

Default General video game discussion

I thought it'd be fun to create a Lounge for the gaming forum for the fact that it's a pain sometimes to search for that specific system's or game's thread when it may have fallen off onto another page (or if you're lazy like me and don't want to look for it) and all you've got is a simple question to ask or something of the like. If you've got something picking your brain and need to ask or want to discuss or review a random game, this is the place to be. Random questions and discussion (or plain ol' gaming chit chat) is what I'm getting at here, much like Misc.'s Lounge. I'll get the ball rolling.

I was cleaning out my closet earlier (as I mentioned in the Misc. Lounge) and came across my Game Gear. Only have two titles for it: Sonic the Hedgehog and Joe Montana Football. I wish I had played it more when I first got it, but you know, only two games. Can't play it forever with only two games :/ It's a great find, however, and it makes me want to throw some batteries into it and start playing, just because it's out, heh.

The bigger find, however, was my PS1 in a carrying case with several games I was looking for. I pulled that sucker out and played Twisted Metal 2 for hours. I totally forgot the controls and tricks I knew (which resulted in me dying several times ), but once I started playing more, the controls came right back to me and I done started blowing shit up and kicking everyone's ass! Fuck you, Darktooth! Love this game like crazy. Also started playing Resident Evil 2 (Claire's scenario) because I hadn't done so in years, but then I realized it'd be awhile so I turned it off, teehee. Got burned out from playing too much TM2, I guess.

With that in mind, I really need to sell my PS1 since I've got my trusty ol' PS2 to play the games. Don't see the need to have it around anymore, but it sure was fun playing those two games again. I'm all kinds of happy now.

skittlebrau is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-12-2006, 11:44 PM   #2
Ryan
That Veronica Vaughn.....

im in a nostalgic gaming mood today. i think i'll dust off either my sega mega drive or my N64.. I had 60+ games on my mega drive, fuck i loved that thing.

Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-12-2006, 11:49 PM   #3
bauer

Fuck you, nerds. And eric, I'll buy your PS1 if you want. I need some Crash Bandicoot in my life...

bauer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-12-2006, 11:57 PM   #4
skittlebrau
board robot

Talk with me later and we'll see, gravy.

Old 08-13-2006, 12:00 AM   #5
Ryan

I'll have to post a list of all my old mega drive games..

Old 08-13-2006, 04:42 AM   #6
adam
sweating holes in my zoot suit

Good thread idea. Since I don't have any consoles at the moment, only my DS, I think I may pick up a retro console because I'm not fussed with new gaming, it's all too expensive. If I can get some money together in between boosting my Scrubs and Metallica collections, I'll probably look at a megadrive because I'm most familiar with them. If not, I'll buy the Sonic Mega Collection for my PC, but I think I could just as easily get Sonic 1-3 and Knuckles and Ristar, because that's all that's important from the collection. I used to have a load of good games before, Sonic collection, Street Fighter II, Streets Of Rage trilogy, Golden Axe trilogy. Maybe I'll get one around christmas time.

adam is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-13-2006, 04:56 AM   #7
kupomog
spring love, come back to me

Quote:
Originally Posted by skittlebrau
I was cleaning out my closet earlier (as I mentioned in the Misc. Lounge) and came across my Game Gear. Only have two titles for it: Sonic the Hedgehog and Joe Montana Football.
Hehe, Sonic and Shinobi for me. Everyone had Sonic + another random game, it was like a rule. What was scary is that everyone I knew ONLY had Sonic + another game...

And the PS1, ahhhh. I wanted to sell mine until I remember that I had that shit modded to play burned and imported games. And since I never updated the mod way back when, regular new games wouldn't work after a certain date. Sucked. I had to buy all my burned games all over again for the PS2. I remember having Bust-a-Move 4, Dino Crisis, SW EP I: TPM, and the two Clock Tower games burned (among others)...and having to hunt them down. Yes, I actually bothered to buy SW EP I again, however crappy it is. I had fun making fun of the game with my friend and since SW: Shadows of the Empire didn't have lightsabers to use, EP I was like the neatest thing ever for me at the time.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

kupomog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-13-2006, 09:23 AM   #8
Stephen McTowelie
up yours children!

I remeber the old skool master systems with built in "alex kidd"....and if your master system got fucked to the point where it wouldn't play games it was the most frustrating thing sticking a cartridge in and seeing that pricks face on screen :angry:

http://www.zonesega.com/covers/maste...0%5BEUR%5D.jpg

this made me laf-

the memories....

the good ol days....

newer days....twisted metal 2 was class, last time i played it i was shocked at how good i used to think the graphics were (e.g. blowing up the eifel tower) still a class concept though, and mr grimms special owned

_________________________________________________________________________________________

no, YOU'RE a towel!

http://myspace-677.vo.llnwd.net/0096...66457677_l.gif http://www.music.mcgill.ca/~benjamin...---Towelie.gif

Burn that which lies to Oprah!

Stephen McTowelie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-13-2006, 09:26 AM   #9
grissom
something clever

Cool thread idea.

I've got a shitload of PS1 games that I never play. I should though, there are some real gems in there.

I was looking through some of my video game stuff to sell at a yardsale yesterday. Found an extra PS1 controller, an extra PS2 controller, a shitty third party Xbox controller, Project Gotham Racing for Xbox, and a few Gameboy Advance games I don't want. I may sell my PS1 since I've got the PS2 and my original Xbox. Hopefully I'll make a bit of money.

blog/photography/last.fm

grissom is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-13-2006, 07:32 PM   #10
kupomog
spring love, come back to me

Ah, Alex Kidd...I had Enchanted Castle, what a fun game. Possibly began my fear of scorpions right there. Jan Ken Po games in it pissed me off so much. I remember getting pretty far in the game but have never been able to finish it. And some of those stupid treasure chests were so hard to get to, sigh.

kupomog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-14-2006, 09:49 AM   #11
Ryan

i never finished alex kidd either. the furthest level i can recall is one where there was suspension bridges over waterfalls (and i havent played the game in at least ten years, so i may be wrong)

I was in target today and noticed that they've finally started to heavily discount gamecube games. Resident Evil 4 finally cut from its obscene price o $104.99 to $44.99

Old 08-14-2006, 11:00 AM   #12
Stephen McTowelie
up yours children!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kupomog
Jan Ken Po games in it pissed me off so much.
i'm with you on that fella, my vague memories of it on the mega drive (i can't recall how i came to own it-possibly on a mega games collection) were that of anger when losing a game of chance- to a fucking monkey!

but y'know the worst bit about that mini-game? it was the music and the sounds it made when you lost...all high pitched and designed for the purpose of pissing you off :angry: ....just chatting to my mate about it on msn and we agree- "the gambling monkey was worthy of a sharpshooter" 8-)

anyone ever have any really embaressing moments on old video games that have stuck you for months and its been the simplest way out of it? e.g. on sonic spinball on the last level you had to do the "flipper-hold" move on some parts in order for it to raise you further up into the level.....i spent months on that shit! and on the original simpsons on the nes (bart vs the space mutants...i think it was nes...possibly megadrive) there was the krusty level where you had to jump all over the ferris wheel thing to the other side....and then walk off the screen. i'd sit there for hours being like "it leads nowhere!" figured that out and felt like a supreme dick

wasted youth

Old 08-14-2006, 12:36 PM   #13
adam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen McTowelie
anyone ever have any really embaressing moments on old video games that have stuck you for months and its been the simplest way out of it?
One that strikes me immedeatly is (on not so much an old game) on Crash Bandicoot 3. I spent hours trying to beat N.Gen when you're in the ship shooting fruit at him. I finally managed it, but it really pissed me off. Then my friend came up to that point on his save and held the button down and did it easily. I realised that all that time I didn't think you could hold it for auto fire and I had just been frantically tapping it.

And before anyone else says it: YOU CAN JUST WALK OVER IT!?

Old 08-15-2006, 07:22 PM   #14
conor.
milhouse the great.

i looked over my ps1 games the other day thinking man.... i paid 50 bucks for this?

i still have my crash bandicoot racing t shirt that came with my pre order for it in 1998.

cool points for me

conor. is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-16-2006, 05:57 AM   #15
Nebuchanezzar
Hardcore Boarder

I started playing Metroid Prime again on the weekend. It's awesome.

seasons 1-11 rated with explanations when requested (seasons 1-5 complete so far)

Nebuchanezzar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-16-2006, 01:20 PM   #16
DAntae
Hardcore Boarder

decided to try out the "other world circuit" code in punchout. took me about 5 tries to actually mash the buttons at the same time. good times.

DAntae is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-16-2006, 07:02 PM   #17
skittlebrau
board robot

Hehe, just for the hell of it, I wanted to play Twisted Metal 2 with God mode, mega guns and infinite weapons on. I looked up the codes online and then tried them out several times with no such luck. Frustrated, I checked several sites that had 'em, and it turns out each one had slight errors in the patterns you enter. I wrote 'em all down and then eliminated each one until I entered the codes correctly and started blowing everything up with unlimited remote bombs Oh yeah, and you gotta be super fast in entering them or else they won't work!

Good times, indeed.

Old 08-17-2006, 05:38 AM   #18
Stephen McTowelie
up yours children!

you tried the homing napalm yet fella?

ighlight napalm, hold L2 and press Up, Down, Down, Left, Left, Left, Right, Right Homing Napalms

i recall it being named "the daddy"

Old 08-18-2006, 04:23 PM   #19
skittlebrau
board robot

I can't ever recall using homing napalms. I'm not one to use codes or cheats, anyway. I was just messing around and being a sadistic retard by blowing everything up in sight and not getting hurt for it with remote bombs and Shadow's demonic shadow attack. Love seeing Axel go flying overhead, heh.

God mode gets old really quick, though.

Old 08-19-2006, 11:13 AM   #20
Ryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebuchanezzar
I started playing Metroid Prime again on the weekend. It's awesome.
never cared for MP myself.

Old 08-20-2006, 01:54 AM   #21
Nebuchanezzar
Hardcore Boarder

!!!

What didn't you like about it?

Actually, I kinda get where you're coming from with not caring about games most people like. For instance, I can't stand Resident Evil 4 in comparison to the previous Resident Evil games, which IMO were simply so much better.

Old 08-20-2006, 05:17 AM   #22
adam

^I agree with the original trilogy being much better, but why can't you stand 4? Sure, it lacks all the tension and claustrophobia and all that made RE great, but it's still a bloody entertaining game in it's own right.

Old 08-20-2006, 05:53 AM   #23
Nebuchanezzar
Hardcore Boarder

Quote:
I can't stand Resident Evil 4 in comparison to the previous Resident Evil games
I probably shouldn't have used such strong words. Anyway, it's not that it's a bad game, it's just that I'd take any previous RE game over RE4. The feeling just wasn't there in RE4. The haunted mansion/urban zombie flick theme was completely missing, to be replaced by a comparatively subpar dark village witchhunt type of feel. It just didn't seem like a Resident Evil game anymore.

RE2>RE (remake)>RE3>RE0>RE4.

I don't give a crap about those first person ones, or Code Veronica.

^Damn I love that level.

Old 08-20-2006, 06:04 AM   #24
adam

No problem, but what's wrong with Code Veronica? IMO it's the only truly good game that isn't in the numbered series. It's a little slow and quite hard, but no doubt it's good. Still, I say:

RE3>RE>RE2>RE4>RE:CV

Never played RE0 or REmake (although REmake disappointly lacks the opening cut scene from what I've seen).

Old 08-20-2006, 06:13 AM   #25
Nebuchanezzar
Hardcore Boarder

Code Veronica isn't in there, because...

I never played it

Old 08-20-2006, 06:15 AM   #26
adam

Worth checking out then. It's not one of those crappy spin-offs, it's a genuine story game. That's why it got ported onto GC and Survivor and all of those shit ones didn't. Takes more patience though, first encounter: 4 zombies surrounding you and you're armed with just a knife. :-O

Old 08-20-2006, 11:41 AM   #27
Ryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebuchanezzar
What didn't you like about it?
Dunno really. Just couldnt get into it.

Old 08-20-2006, 05:56 PM   #28
block02
The Shaman of Sexy

Played MMX 4 last week. Not quite as good as the first few, but pretty enjoyable nonetheless. Neat bosses(Jet Stingray and Split Mushroom particularly), cool soundtrack, intruiging anime(I didn't particularly care for it, but still intruiging) and Zero finally getting a seperate story made this game a fun experience. Shame the last few have been abysmal.

block02 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-20-2006, 07:15 PM   #29
Dude Love
It's Dude Love

I'm gonna re-buy a PS2 pretty soon when it gets to the two digets (hopefully soon). The reason for this is because a year after I sold it (which I still don't regret considering what I got in return) they finally got some more killer games. Shadow Of Colossus I really want to check out, MS3 looked killer, and of course...God Of War.

Edit: Also, I couldn't get into Metroid Prime either. Don't really know why. I loved the level design, yet hated back tracking oddly enough.

Dude Love is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-20-2006, 09:23 PM   #30
conor.
milhouse the great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonderboy
I'm gonna re-buy a PS2 pretty soon when it gets to the two digets (hopefully soon). The reason for this is because a year after I sold it (which I still don't regret considering what I got in return) they finally got some more killer games. Shadow Of Colossus I really want to check out, MS3 looked killer, and of course...God Of War.

Edit: Also, I couldn't get into Metroid Prime either. Don't really know why. I loved the level design, yet hated back tracking oddly enough.
NEW PS2's wont drop below 100 till the PS3 drops

buy a refurbished one + warranty for like 120.

conor. is offline   Reply With Quote

User Tag List