Old 09-04-2011, 08:01 AM   #1
whis
yes

Default the simpsons

any fans?

whis is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-04-2011, 08:03 AM   #2
qwertyuio

It's that series from the creator of Futurama, I think.

qwertyuio is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-04-2011, 08:08 AM   #3
xander
<"))))><

was waiting for this.

If you'd like to discuss the simpsons there is a perfect place to do so www.nohomers.net

xander is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-04-2011, 10:43 AM   #4
eric
chairman of the board™

i think we're ok with generic threads for the simpsons and other animated shows like futurama.

any in-depth conversation should obviously be taken to the NHC.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

eric is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-04-2011, 10:49 AM   #5
joe
board militant™

I like Seasons 2-9. And then some scattered episodes in seasons 10-12. And then scattered jokes in seasons 13-17. Nothing in seasons 17-86.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

http://img.chan4chan.com/img/2010-05-26/20qx9bo.jpg
Heckling a Puppet show.

joe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-04-2011, 10:50 AM   #6
beats by dre
what she order? fish fillet

mike scully was a prime cause for the show's change in quality IMO

beats by dre is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-04-2011, 10:55 AM   #7
bristol palace
boards before broads

I like when Bart had that Batman costume on, lol

bristol palace is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-04-2011, 10:55 AM   #8
lance
board historian™

yeah, i really began to notice some decline with the more "jerkass" behavior exhibited by homer around season 8 (it's subtle, but if you look for it you can easily find it). however, i still held on to some hope until it got really bad a few seasons later.

lance is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-04-2011, 10:58 AM   #9
Magnum
Forum Leader

i don't see jerkass in 8. homer is pretty out there in a few season 5 episodes though

boy-scoutz n tha hood is one

Magnum is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-04-2011, 11:11 AM   #10
bristol palace
boards before broads

he's a pretty big jerkass in lisa on ice from season 6 and people didn't really seem to care

bristol palace is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-04-2011, 11:20 AM   #11
Son of Bomber
sexually yours,

homer behaving like an asshole has always been a part of the show to varying degrees.

the show being complete horseshit wasn't always part of the show, bummed me out when they decided to really embrace that direction.

Son of Bomber is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-04-2011, 12:26 PM   #12
qwertyuio

Quote:
Originally Posted by violent jase View Post
he's a pretty big jerkass in lisa on ice from season 6 and people didn't really seem to care
Because it was so funny.

I'd say the decline starts around season 10, not before. Even if at the previous season there are some below average episodes, it's such a blend of different styles and showrunners that trying to point a clear route of decline is pretty much impossible. I think the real thing comes with the 10th season, the Scully style, and later with Jean's conformism growing slowly to weariness.

It's a pity because, even if the show gets tired at a time and the jokes, situations, etc. don't work as well as always, if there was just a little more interest among its creators it could reach good levels easily and even become as solid as the classic era (the occasional outstanding episode among the mediocrity still exists, IMO). But it seems the routine of "not trying" is deeply rooted in the current staff.

Whatever. As said so many times in our old NHC board, I still enjoy the series, but that's just me, and seems clear that there is a huge difference between what it is and what it was or could be with further effort.

qwertyuio is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-04-2011, 12:26 PM   #13
whis
yes

oh hey

anyway, i was curious how off topic dudes feel about the show now that we're all, like, ten years removed from joining a simpsons board

i mean, we did just do a mass exodus from nerdville

i still consider the simpsons my favorite show ever, though i'm sometimes hesitant to admit it. never can be sure who is familiar only with recent episodes or the movie. and i'm not about to explain the season 9 decline to a girl i want to bang.

fact: i very often think of homer saying "probably misses his old glasses" when i need to force a smile for a photo

Old 09-04-2011, 12:42 PM   #14
steve
Hardcore Boarder

Quote:
Originally Posted by whisman View Post
fact: i very often think of homer saying "probably misses his old glasses" when i need to force a smile for a photo
post/av

I love this fucking show. It along with Seinfeld is one of the best sitcoms ever, and although it doesn't share Seinfeld's luxury of having ended when it should have, its first 8 or 9 years were purely awesome. The only episodes I can think of that I would ever skip would be some of the clip shows (but not 138th, that ep's awesome).

This is one of my favorite jokes in the entire series. I crack up uncontrollably every time I see that sign

steve is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-04-2011, 01:03 PM   #15
adam
sweating holes in my zoot suit

it's still my favourite show. i think everyone my age knows it's pretty bad now so i have no problem admitting it. two more seasons and they'll have twice as many bad as good. :/

and season 9 is seriously bad besides a couple of the non-scully episodes. like there's barely any difference in quality between that and 10.

adam is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-04-2011, 01:06 PM   #16
steve
Hardcore Boarder

Ehh I don't think S9 is that bad, it's got a few gems that make it worth it. The City of NY vs. Homer Simpson is so great. And I love Principal and the Pauper, and I don't care what anyone says

steve is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-04-2011, 01:07 PM   #17
Magnum
Forum Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by whisman View Post
i still consider the simpsons my favorite show ever, though i'm sometimes hesitant to admit it. never can be sure who is familiar only with recent episodes or the movie. and i'm not about to explain the season 9 decline to a girl i want to bang.
when someone asks i just say "about the first ten years of the simpsons, it sucks after that." i don't think there's too much room for embarrassment there.

it's like saying "SNL during the early 90s"

Old 09-04-2011, 01:17 PM   #18
whis
yes

i love season 9, but the decline in quality starts surfacing around disc 4

Old 09-04-2011, 01:20 PM   #19
adam
sweating holes in my zoot suit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
Ehh I don't think S9 is that bad, it's got a few gems that make it worth it. The City of NY vs. Homer Simpson is so great. And I love Principal and the Pauper, and I don't care what anyone says
those are both holdovers so they're not scully.

natural born kissers and cartridge family are the two people seem to like and they're both alright but far from the show's best. i do kinda like trash of the titans because it's so stupidly over the top. the rest are pretty much all forgettable or just plain bad.

adam is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-04-2011, 01:23 PM   #20
brody
I'm the real Lance

at this point the only season 9 episode i ever want to revisit is lisa the simpson. the vast majority of that season (including the non-scully episodes) is depressingly bland

brody is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-04-2011, 01:26 PM   #21
stu
pendous

season 9 is probably the only season that i never felt like revisiting except for a small handful of episodes

will never understand the apologists for it

stu is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-04-2011, 01:26 PM   #22
brentmoney
board sheriff

i consider the last episode of season eight to be the series finale and the five or six gems in season nine to be the "lost episodes"

although i didn't actually give up until early season 15 i think

still my favorite comedy series ever. i just pretend it hasn't been on the air for the last decade

brentmoney is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-04-2011, 01:27 PM   #23
Magnum
Forum Leader

cartridge family is the only scully that really feels like a classic episode. being his first i wouldn't be surprised if mirkin or O&W handled much of it. lost our lisa and natural born kissers are okay. any other decent episodes in the season are either from oakley & weinstein, mirkin or jean & reiss, who all make up a ton of the season, but also do some of their worst episodes (except for jean).

i said in another thread recently that homers enemy would have made a good series-bending finale. fitting that a lot of fans hated it, just like all finales to good shows

Last edited by Magnum; 09-04-2011 at 01:33 PM.

Old 09-04-2011, 01:28 PM   #24
brentmoney
board sheriff

as mean as i was about simpsons related stuff on the other board i'm still nerdy enough to contribute to a top 25 episode list if someone wants to be in charge

lists containing including anything after season 9 would not be eligible

Old 09-04-2011, 01:30 PM   #25
brentmoney
board sheriff

i kinda want to make a '90s era Simpsons' show page on facebook so i can like that instead of just 'the simpsons'

Old 09-04-2011, 02:16 PM   #26
DTJeremy
"Worst Username" winner 2001-2012

^There is one, "The Simpsons in the 90's." (There's probably others, but that's the one I'm in.) Really didn't want to get promo updates for season 33 episodes or whatever in my feed.

DTJeremy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-04-2011, 02:37 PM   #27
Magnum
Forum Leader

i'd love to hear from boarders who started watching or tried watching after they joined nhc

Old 09-04-2011, 02:41 PM   #28
fritz
^_______^

This might be my favorite

fritz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-04-2011, 02:44 PM   #29
fritz
^_______^

Wait

fritz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-04-2011, 02:48 PM   #30
bmac
something something haha funny

the "jerkass homer" theory or whatever is kind of silly. the comedy just became poor and the plots ridiculously contrived. television obviously isn't the right format for such longevity. actually i don't think a format exists for such longevity.

can't believe i was still watching into season seventeen

bmac is offline   Reply With Quote

User Tag List