Boards & Rec
Old 11-23-2016, 08:10 AM   #871
box elder
Forum Leader

but if you have lookouts you should see something coming even if they are able to ultimately overpower you. and it's called the hilltop for a reason. because it's on a hill with great visibility in every direction. it's like, the entire reason they made their base there

box elder is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-28-2016, 05:01 PM   #872
DAntae
Hardcore Boarder

dude. I almost fell asleep during that episode. tara can not carry an entire episode. the constant wise cracks and her numerous times saying 'cool' really killed it for me. I like the idea of heath still being out there. outside of that it might be my least favorite episode of the entire series.

DAntae is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-29-2016, 09:55 AM   #873
box elder
Forum Leader

i thought it picked up some steam as it went along. i do continue to hate that they separate out all the storylines like this every year instead of just going back and forth, but as far as these standalone "catch up" episodes go, it wasn't any worse that, say, glenn's last season. i also hate the structure within the episode where they build tension by entirely fabricated means. like, oh no did heath ditch her!? no. he didn't. they just made it seem that way by splitting a scene up into 20 tiny parts instead of just showing it. do they think that's artsy or something? anyway, i liked the idea of a group that had already been completely decimated by the saviors and i thought their camp was cool (reminded me of, like, friday the 13th). i also liked the woman tribe vibe of the new group and wouldn't mind seeing them again

Old 11-29-2016, 11:26 AM   #874
DAntae
Hardcore Boarder

I did totally thank that was heath as a walker. haha.

as for the new group, I think it is a given that they will play in later on. either tara eventually tells someone, or she returns and maybe finds them all murdered by the saviors. I think my biggest thing was tara as a character is just not able to carry an entire episode. I do agree with the stand alone episodes being the weakest. at least with glenn...he was a character who had a lot more going on story wise as opposed to tara.

next week is negan/carl time.

Old 11-29-2016, 10:46 PM   #875
box elder
Forum Leader

i don't think tara is inherently unable to carry an episode. i feel like if you don't read the comics, none of these characters are all that developed, tbh. it was just kind of awkward. i get that she's the "funny" character, but the jokes were oddly paced and usually at the tail end of an act break so it was like "was...that a joke?" again, i thought it was a decent episode as far as these types of episodes go and i don't think the issue was because it was tara. just that we're in the middle of a story and they suddenly stopped that for a standalone. which is just kind of how they do this show for some dumb reason

Old 11-30-2016, 02:34 PM   #876
DAntae
Hardcore Boarder

I had a second viewing, so the wife could catch up. I still thought as a stand alone it was one of the weaker ones. I did enjoy the new community shown much more, but tara just does nothing for me on the show. that is just my bias.

I did notice the sand 'walkers' much more this time. they looked outstanding. some of the best effects on the show to date.

Old 12-05-2016, 03:16 PM   #877
DAntae
Hardcore Boarder

that episode entertained me. a lot of moments from the comic were performed rather well. I liked seeing more of the compound, it is nice to see some different locations. I was hoping to see more of rick and the quest for loot. that entire setup at the end looked pretty cool.

Old 12-06-2016, 11:24 AM   #878
box elder
Forum Leader

for a "moving chess pieces in preparation for the midseason finale" episode (which it essentially was), it managed to be alright. rick and aaron's story was all setup, as was michonne's. the negan/carl stuff held it together pretty well, though. but it really didn't need to be 90 minutes

Old 12-06-2016, 12:08 PM   #879
DAntae
Hardcore Boarder

of course not. but you know more commercials equal more money.

Old 03-01-2017, 12:37 PM   #880
DAntae
Hardcore Boarder

so the 7B episodes have been sloooooowwww. I did enjoy the latest, especially the scenes with dwight. I am a little behind the comic storyline, but I have managed to make it to where  Negan escapes and kills Alpha . I have enjoyed elements of this season but I have to admit it is my least favorite up to this point.

Old 03-06-2017, 07:46 AM   #881
CeetjeBeetje
Brick fucking MASTER!

The last episode certainly was very interesting.  I liked the Eugene stuff 
But the bit where  Dwight gets beaten up by 4 dudes, and makes it out with just a little scratch on his forehead , drives home for me how much I cannot take this show seriously.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Guns don't kill people. Physics kill people!

CeetjeBeetje is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-07-2017, 10:25 AM   #882
DAntae
Hardcore Boarder

well that was all they showed, I am sure you could make the leap that his back and body were eventually covered with bruises. who knows.

the latest episode. oh man it was absurd and campy. I think it had the cheesiest moment in show history. when  rick tossed the sword to michonne  I almost snorted. had that 80's action movie kind of vibe for a second.

Old 03-08-2017, 03:06 PM   #883
box elder
Forum Leader

did they think anyone would think for even a second that rick was dead? rick?! especially after last season's dumpster dive fiasco?

Last edited by box elder; 03-09-2017 at 02:39 PM.

Old 03-09-2017, 01:24 PM   #884
DAntae
Hardcore Boarder

haha. yeah I know the intent was to show it from michonne's perspective but it was just all kinds of bad.

the real head scratcher was rick. he is typically cautious, takes precautions to avoid surprises/danger. aside from the raid on the saviors before the negan intro. yet he just lost all of his common sense and went down to try and get a deer. this was even more odd considering they just had a 'feast' of rations and tons more to eat and take back. he promised his love a deer...but c'mon

Old 03-09-2017, 02:41 PM   #885
box elder
Forum Leader

yeah and you'd have to be a special kind of stupid to actually trust rickety carnival equipment that had been sitting out in the elements unattended or maintained for years to hold up

especially after having just been reminded that even solid structures are falling apart at this point (with the school roof)

Old 03-14-2017, 10:19 AM   #886
DAntae
Hardcore Boarder

this week's episode was my favorite of this season by a large margin. the loss of life in this episode was way more heartwrenching than the loss of glenn and abraham. morgan heavy episode for sure, but it really advanced the story as most have not this season.

the stories that have revolved around the kingdom have been far more interesting and entertaining. really hoping this is ramping up to a very strong remainder of the season. fingers crossed.

Old 03-14-2017, 10:37 AM   #887
box elder
Forum Leader

Yeah I thought it was strong. Even though I knew from the opening scene that Benjamin was a goner. This show just does not do subtlety at all. Same with the sledgehammer metaphor of having to burn the infested crops but having the promise of new and better ones sprouting from the ashes

Old 03-14-2017, 11:37 AM   #888
DAntae
Hardcore Boarder

agreed. I liked benjamin, but you knew he had to die to make ezekiel change his stance. nothing else would have had that kind of impact.

also lennie james is by far the best actor on the show, especially the recurring cast. I have enjoyed all his other performances and I sometimes wonder why in the hell is he on this show. they are fortunate to have him. I know its a blockbuster show, but still he is way out of everyone's league.

Old 06-06-2018, 09:21 PM   #889
Pax
the heartbreaker

So I dunno if anyone cares about this shitty show anymore, but you can rejoice because Rick and Maggie are leaving in S9.

So in other words, it's dooooomed

Pax is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-07-2018, 11:27 AM   #890
DAntae
Hardcore Boarder

it is doomed as far as being a show to thoroughly enjoy...but that has been the case for a few seasons now.

doomed as in the show will be ending because of these departures...not likely. the ratings are down but they still are high for a Sunday time slot. plus this is AMC. they are going to milk this universe for all its got. not to mention the reports are saying the character of Rick Grimes will not be killed off, but just departs. of course this always leaves the door open for a return.

the last two seasons have been poor, but I kept watching...and I will continue I suppose. I do not hate the show, but I know what kind of story could be told from reading the comics. whenever the show tries to make a change or branch off from the comic it fails. big time.

sort of on topic I enjoyed fear the walking dead season 3. a lot of unexpected twists, some interesting characters (especially Troy), etc. so then the time jump and bring in Morgan and now thie current season fear is starting to suffer the same problems. oh well.

Old 06-08-2018, 12:46 AM   #891
box elder
Forum Leader

Yeah, I mean this show has been pretty dumb for a while (maybe it’s entire run?). So I don’t think rick leaving would kill it in and of itself. It would definitely kill the comics, but the show ain’t the comics. Honestly, I think Daryl leaving would be a bigger blow because most show fans love him more. Basically I agree with Dantae. The show fans love it for different reasons than the comic fans. But the show fans are losing interest anyway for different reasons. So its probably more Andrew Lincoln jumping an already sinking ship than “omg rick leaving will kill the show”

And also as Dantae said, I’ll probably watch this train wreck until it’s cancelled anyway so whatever

Old 06-08-2018, 06:49 AM   #892
CeetjeBeetje
Brick fucking MASTER!

I watched the first 3 episodes of the last season (the eighth, right?), but after that I couldn't be bothered anymore. I watched 5 minute sum-ups of every episode on Funny or Die after that. I thought I would get the jist of it. It's been declining for me since season 5, but I always enjoyed watching it anyway. When Negan showed up is when it got really stupid and ridiculous in my opinion.
I'll tune in for season 9 again, I guess. We'll see.

Old 06-08-2018, 10:33 AM   #893
DAntae
Hardcore Boarder

^ then dude you missed out....on absolutely nothing.

Old 06-08-2018, 11:19 AM   #894
box elder
Forum Leader

i'm sure having read the comics gives me a different perspective of the plots, but i honestly don't see why people think the negan story was worse than anything else on this show. not that it was good, but it's always been bad. and i certainly think they did a better job on it than the disaster that was the governor

Old 06-08-2018, 12:00 PM   #895
DAntae
Hardcore Boarder

well the show has made some major missteps from the beginning, trying toforce some differences from the comics.

so yeah I actually like the Negan portrayal on the show, and I thought Dwight was done very well. I think the impact would have been better if Abe would have gotten his comic death earlier instead of Denise. That way it would have been closer to the impact of the comic. everyone knew Glen was going to die, no need to add anyone else to that iconic scene from the comic.

comic spoilers below for people who have not read.

It is the earlier mistakes that sort of ruined what we would have had with the governor. Clearly I think it starts with the change of the Andrea character. This messed up the Dale dynamic.

That lead to the weird relationship with the governor on the show. The Michonne/Governor story is what was missing. Then the eventual Andrea and Rick relationship is missed due to the changes in story/character. I mean to me personally nothing with Rick and Michonne on the show comes close to Rick and Andrea in the comic.

If you mean the changing of the governor, they also bungled that. he is a far more interesting character because you always knew where he stood. on the show the 2 sides to him they tried to show just did not work.

how did I write that much. haha

Old 06-08-2018, 05:11 PM   #896
box elder
Forum Leader

Yeah everything about the governor plot sucked. And if you think about it, that’s actually negatively impacted the negan storyline. Because the governor was a straight up psychopath. And when we meet negan we think he is too. So it’s surprising as we get to know him more that he’s really not all that bad. But because on the show we’ve already had the “conflicted big bad” in the governor, it doesn’t have the same punch this time. The other problem, of course, is that they constantly pull complete bullshit on the audience. Glens dumpster dive remains the series low point for me. I also think the show is an absolute clinic on how NOT to do non-linear storytelling. All the flash forwards to later scenes with zero context or reason for it to be interesting is not only pointless and boring, but they’ve run it into the ground at this point too. How they turned a fun zombie apocalypse story into at show up its own ass is beyond me

Old 11-14-2018, 02:16 PM   #897
box elder
Forum Leader

sooooooo, after the time jump i just find myself asking: why am i still watching this? there seems to be zero reason for the time jump other than to make judith a real character, which i guess they felt was needed in rick and curl's absence, but really wasn't. i don't get the sense that these communities are more developed than they were before the jump (aside from a few new buildings), and essentially the same conflicts are there as before too. i also didn't really understand why michonne is suddenly the un-trusting naysayer of the group? is this based on something that we haven't seen yet? because wasn't she sort of the opposite before? also it looked like she had a kid that was younger than judith, but they only showed a glimpse of him? i'm guessing she was pregnant when rick "died"? why would they not just go ahead and address that fully or wait to reveal it? why make the viewer guess? and anyway, having her be pregnant when the father "dies" is so cliched. i mean, unless i completely misread that scene (which i couldn't really be blamed for since, again, it was a 2 second glimpse through a window).

anyway, i know they're moving into the whisperers storyline now, but it still feels like this show is 100% divorced from the comics at this point. it just does not even feel like the same story anymore

Old 11-14-2018, 03:51 PM   #898
DAntae
Hardcore Boarder

I have found this season far more enjoyable as a viewer. I do agree on the time jumps (actually there have been 3 this season). I do enjoy Judith as a character after the jump. that kid has some acting chops. I enjoy seeing the show as a true ensemble again.

last episode I loved the Judith/Negan convo. it just seemed natural to me. also loved the end of the episode and knowing what is on the horizon. when the fair was mentioned I got a slight chill.

what I did not like was Rick and Michonne having a kid. Judith will carry on the Grimes name, no need to add to it. just seems forced. they did sort of hint at it in Rick's final episode, they were in bed and made some joke about building for the future. it was not subtle but that has never been what the show has been about.

do you think Maggie is still leading hilltop in the future or has Enid taken over?

Also I just learned that young Henry and old Henry are bothers and the actress who played Sophia is the sister. speaking of Henry I guess he may take on the Carl role with the  whisperer story arc. 

the tone of Michonne may have to do with the scar on her back? that has to play in such it was so prominently shows. as for the communities, we have not seen much. The season has mostly featured the camp settlement for the bridge with slight glimpses of the communities before the time jump. the lack of focus makes me think the sets have had some major changes. guess we will find out.

Old 11-15-2018, 08:01 AM   #899
CeetjeBeetje
Brick fucking MASTER!

I absolutely haven't even tried to follow this show anymore. I have no clue were it's going since around when King Dreadlocks got shot.
You guys seem to enjoy it at least a little bit. I think I will try to check it out again..

Old 11-15-2018, 02:51 PM   #900
DAntae
Hardcore Boarder

I was worried that when it strayed too far from the comic it usually suffered. This season so far in my opinion has been a big step up from the previous 2. flawed for sure, but much more enjoyable as a viewer.

like sean said, you just have to know that it has now truly departed heavily from the comic; especially with which characters are now involved in certain story arcs. I think the main premise will follow the comic as an outline, but they have gone too far out of bounds to mirror it closely anymore.

User Tag List