Boards & Rec
Old 03-06-2013, 05:25 PM   #691
box elder
Forum Leader

well, sort of. but there's only a limited amount of resources in the immediately area (at least in the way they're currently finding resources by scrounging abandoned homes/businesses) and the further you have to go out to get them, the more dangerous. so while another person could obviously help look for food, they also speed up that necessity to increased risk with all the food they're consuming

like, let's draw it out past a single dude and say that they had 100 more people in the prison. there's no way that would be sustainable for long unless they started growing food. but that would take time before it was viable

box elder is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-06-2013, 05:28 PM   #692
scott

yeah, but looking at this show (and really any zombie scenario), the downfall of most groups of survivors is a lack of capable bodies to help defend. even if that extra body isn't going out to collect supplies, they're one more body on the fence with a gun when people go on supply runs. woodbury is a sort of example of the benefit of growing your population and surviving over time, rather than trying a "me vs. the world" attitude toward survival that only leads to dwindling numbers.

Old 03-07-2013, 11:12 AM   #693
Cash Kerouac
Hardcore Boarder

Again, there's got to be some critical mass. Once they start growing their own food, things could work, but in the mean time they just have whatever's in the prison and whatever they can scrounge for. Didn't Hershel say at some point that they were running out of food?

Actually, I wonder if they're growing food in Woodbury.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

"Did you exchange, a walk on part in a war, for a lead role in a cage?"

Cash Kerouac is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-07-2013, 11:27 AM   #694
Squelvin
cardboard horror

don't worry, everything will work out swell from now on

Squelvin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-07-2013, 11:42 AM   #695
box elder
Forum Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cash Kerouac View Post
i assume they are. and that's probably a product of taking the town and fortifying it fairly early in the outbreak. in that case you have the luxury of setting yourself up while supplies are still plentiful, and then having sustainability once they run scarce. the prison folks don't have that luxury. they could start growing food now, presumably, but it won't yield anything for at least a year. until then they have to rely on searching for leftover food in the surrounding area, which is probably harder and harder to find by the day. they can't take on a bunch of people. it makes perfect sense

Old 03-07-2013, 12:37 PM   #696
Cash Kerouac
Hardcore Boarder

Exactly.

So, I have a pretty dark and probably stupid question. If a zombie bites you, you turn into a zombie. If you just die, you also turn into a zombie. But...what if you eat zombie flesh? Probably too big of a risk and would seem morally repugnant, but if you're on the brink of starvation and have no other choice...

Old 03-07-2013, 12:54 PM   #697
box elder
Forum Leader

considering they practically swim in zombie blood half the time i'd say it would be ok

Old 03-07-2013, 02:03 PM   #698
scott

i don't see how eating their flesh would be significantly different from being bitten. seems like a pretty obvious way for it to transmit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cash Kerouac View Post
Again, there's got to be some critical mass. Once they start growing their own food, things could work, but in the mean time they just have whatever's in the prison and whatever they can scrounge for. Didn't Hershel say at some point that they were running out of food?

the entire planet practically turned into zombies overnight. how the fuck scarce can resources really be? again...part of the "failure" to approach realism in these post-apocalyptic scenarios.

Old 03-07-2013, 02:12 PM   #699
DAntae
Hardcore Boarder

most of the supplies are in the larger cities, and they have said multiple times that larger cities like atlanta became overrun.

not to say you can't find a walmart or places in the more rural locations, but those would mostly be picked over by other survivors before they turned.

DAntae is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-07-2013, 02:17 PM   #700
scott

you guys give way too much benefit of the doubt to these shows/scenarios.

i mean, i know it's fucking fiction, but it can't just infinitely teeter in the realm of unbelievable character actions based on self-created hypotheticals that don't make sense. nevermind the whole general absurdity of a zombie plague spreading when they move at limp-walk speed. but that's about as much as i can grant them a pass for. basically the show (when it's not contradicting its own character actions week-to-week) had to make a bunch of shit up to make their characters act a certain way, and it feels cheap as hell.

and actually, it's probably twice as hard to find food/supplies in the center of a major metro area than it is on its outskirts...most downtowns DON'T have large grocery stores right at their core. plus, when was the last time we saw these guys go on any meaningful food raid? they're doing a pretty half-assed job of their search. the suburbs would be fucking packed with canned goods and processed foods. but all these dudes ever do is ineptly wander into something that looks like it was a PRE-apocalyptic shanty town and grab a can of baby formula before zipping out.

edit: also, it doesn't take a fucking year for plants to yield a harvestable crop. but still.

Old 03-07-2013, 02:26 PM   #701
DAntae
Hardcore Boarder

not sure how its benefit of the doubt. I didnt say I think its right, but it makes an awful lot of sense. every major city I have visited, has enourmous shopping centers across from malls (or are within a couple of blocks) those centers always have an anchor grocery store and sometimes two. not to mention the big box stores, and walmart.

my point was to what the show and comic have implied. major cities are certain death.

the comic did a better job of showing the search for food/weapons. there is one instance they return from raiding a national guard set up and stop by a walmart on the way back. they bounced with plenty of food to last for months. so yeah if there is a place like that, they would be well served to find it, but at this juncture I would suspect it to mostly be picked over.

Old 03-07-2013, 02:40 PM   #702
scott

and if it's picked over and everyone's dead, then it's sitting in their houses. that's my point...if they weren't blowing off every survivor they encounter, they'd practically have an army right now to storm into these deserted towns and raid them house by house, rather than hunkering down inside some prison and crossing their fingers the food lasts long enough. the zombies lurking around are practically worthless and limp, and even the ones that aren't are not a huge threat if you're walking in in large groups into semi-abandoned suburbs.

you can't take some painfully passive, wait-and-see approach to your own fucking survival when you know help isn't coming anymore.

Old 03-07-2013, 02:59 PM   #703
DAntae
Hardcore Boarder

you don't think people took most of what they had when they left to evacuate? homes are all but worthless aside from shelter. again, I don't mean to bring up the comic but it has been covered there. many times they searched a residence and it is damn near empty. nothing sustainable. you are more likely to get swarmed and die in that scenario.

Old 03-07-2013, 03:03 PM   #704
scott

that's...also my point. the comic/show just make shit up that doesn't seem to at all reflect what would actually happen. for a virus to wipe out most of the food-consuming population in an extremely short time and there is somehow almost nothing left to eat that can be found (in cars, in homes, in stores...) is fucking stupid. yeah, stores get picked over in real life in advance of disasters...but we're talking about a virus that wiped out the very people that would be PICKING that food to begin with. the story has set up a reality that doesn't appear at all...real. nevermind the absurdity of 100 well armed survivors being "swarmed" in suburbia by these lumbering oafs.

Old 03-07-2013, 03:13 PM   #705
DAntae
Hardcore Boarder

I wish they would address the timeline. how quickly the outbreak spread, etc. if it was staggered, I could buy supplies being more scarce. people took what they could and moved on, etc. if it was a giant wave and it spread in a couple of days...then yeah plenty of stuff should be available.

as for being swarmed, the way it plays out is a large group goes in. one person can't handle it, opens a door or something...out pops a walker. then they shoot, this then draws all the others.

Old 03-07-2013, 03:20 PM   #706
box elder
Forum Leader

(scott) so are you suggesting they take to the road and just go from place to place? not sure what you're saying there ("rather than hunkering down inside" etc).

but assuming they keep the prison (or anywhere) as a "home base" then you're still talking about a relatively small area where you'd really want to go looting. the farther out you go, the more likely a road is blocked or something else happens that puts you in a dangerous position, even with the extra manpower. plus the more people you travel with the more you cars you have to take/maintain/get gas for/etc. more people makes this happen sooner

Old 03-07-2013, 03:31 PM   #707
scott

they sites i've seen (i was JUST looking at timelines) put their departure from the farmhouse at about 75ish days from the outbreak. so i guess 3+ months now?
Quote:
Originally Posted by box elder View Post
(scott) so are you suggesting they take to the road and just go from place to place? not sure what you're saying there ("rather than hunkering down inside" etc).
we've seen what this "hunker down and reject outsiders" approach has resulted in. they're as weak as ever and at war with a "large" town, and they're practically out of food. how much worse is ANY alternative at this point?

yes, they would be well off traveling until they can find enough people to build like woodbury did (i don't think they've ever said in the show how quickly woodbury "sprung up," anyway?), and create a preservable community, rather than setting up temporary shop every few days before your defenses fall to shit. just because the show is failing to address "how" they're surviving doesn't mean those wouldn't be real issues in an actual apocalypse. because this prison shit just wouldn't last with only a few people inside and two guys venturing out every couple days. nevermind that adding more people to your ranks means more people that likely specialize in something. you think having a one-legged 75 year old vet is gonna work for your medical needs for very long?

Old 03-07-2013, 03:34 PM   #708
BILLY
BOARD MESSIAH COMPLEX

zombies are dead bodies so that's literally rotten meat they'd be eating, if they were to try that. plus they'd probably get infected

_________________________________________________________________________________________

trill

BILLY is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-11-2013, 05:58 PM   #709
scott

TALK TALK TALK TALK TALK TALK TALK TALK TALK

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz...

why wasn't rick even remotely interested in asking michonne "uh why the fuck does the governor want you dead so badly?"

Old 03-11-2013, 07:37 PM   #710
Samuel L Bronkowitz
old and in the way

it would've been a perfect opportunity to kill the governor, IF rick did it quietly (ala strangulation, silencer, whatever). if he just plain shot him outright, the gov's minions would've acted accordingly out of instinct....but had rick walked out & announced he killed him, i wouldn't have been surprised if there was a big sigh of relief, especially since the others were starting to bond with one another. oh well, just speculation i suppose....

Samuel L Bronkowitz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-11-2013, 09:10 PM   #711
box elder
Forum Leader

Well he couldn't have strangled him since the gov had a gun under the table, but yeah he should have killed him on the spot and trusted Daryl and old guy to take care of the others (including dumb ass Andrea)

This episode was another stinker. Cut to the fucking chase

Old 03-11-2013, 09:13 PM   #712
arii
oh, heyyy,

yeah i was falling asleep throughout this one and the parts i could pay attention to all i could think was "what is the point of this"

i think the show has crossed the line from "this is bad but it's entertainingly bad" to "no this is just straight up terrible"

arii is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-11-2013, 09:32 PM   #713
Samuel L Bronkowitz
old and in the way

Quote:
Originally Posted by box elder View Post
Well he couldn't have strangled him since the gov had a gun under the table, but yeah he should have killed him on the spot and trusted Daryl and old guy to take care of the others (including dumb ass Andrea)

This episode was another stinker. Cut to the fucking chase
the gov wasn't at the table the entire time, was he? maybe he was, i don't remember for sure. i guess i assumed he moved from his spot when he got the bottle of liquor, or possibly wandered after he felt a little more secure. but anyway, it just didn't seem realistic for rick to be kicking back & entertaining whatever the gov had to say....and yes, i realize i used the word "realistic" when discussing a show about zombies....

Old 03-11-2013, 10:14 PM   #714
arii
oh, heyyy,

I think that's a fair point though since the entire series isn't supposed to be about zombies but rather how people act. They've done a good job with the zombie part and a pretty terrible part with everything else.

arii is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-12-2013, 09:09 AM   #715
box elder
Forum Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by arii View Post
i think the show has crossed the line from "this is bad but it's entertainingly bad" to "no this is just straight up terrible"
hmm can't say i ever thought of this show as "entertainingly bad." when it's good it's good and when it's bad it's mostly just boring

Old 03-12-2013, 10:27 AM   #716
Cash Kerouac
Hardcore Boarder

I enjoyed the interactions between the henchmen. Little moments of characterization that seem lost on the show generally.

Old 03-12-2013, 12:47 PM   #717
blueguy
Hardcore Boarder

Yeah, I liked that more than most of the stuff between Rick and the Gov. I just don't see the point of the Gov talking about his wife. I thought he had a point to make at the end, but I think he just told the story and there was some silence and went to commercial. Wha?

Despite all my rage, I'm still just a rat in a cage.

blueguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-18-2013, 10:05 AM   #718
Samuel L Bronkowitz
old and in the way

the last few eps of 'the walking dead' have moved at such a glacial pace, it's given me a new appreciation for the star wars prequels.....

Old 03-18-2013, 11:30 AM   #719
box elder
Forum Leader

eh, i didn't think this was was too bad but once again a character turned on a dime. andrea went from an oblivious moron to "i have to kill him" immediately. I can forgive that, though, for the creepy stalker horror movie story they got out of it. especially her thinking she was home free with the nice music playing and then him suddenly popping out. i saw it coming but it was still well done and reminiscent of some classic slasher flick or something. i loved it

Old 03-18-2013, 02:49 PM   #720
morbot
Do Not Touch

Yeah, Andrea continues to annoy me and I really thought they were going with some cheesy redemption storyline to bring her back in the fold... was happy it didn't turn out that "easy" at the end.

I think her only real chance now is Milton. I'd like to see Milton wise up and defect... and maybe she gets rescued in that. Milton also suffers from Andrea's "blind-eye problem" with Woodbury, but he's so meek and he's been there so long, I can at least buy him acting that way.

I wouldn't mind him joining Rick & crew... I think having a "sciency" guy in the group would be interesting. Obviously the best & brightest couldn't solve the zombie problem so l doubt he will... but it could lead to some interesting story/plot stuff.

I've been accused of vulgarity. I say that's bullshit!

morbot is offline   Reply With Quote

User Tag List