Boards & Rec
Old 11-25-2012, 05:31 PM   #541
box elder
Forum Leader

so is season 2 gonna follow the same story or is that as close to closure as we're gonna get for clementine? also is it gonna be a longer wait for the first episode of season 2 or about the same as it has been?

box elder is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-25-2012, 06:03 PM   #542
jordan
Hi Doggie

i am hoping you play as an adult bad ass clementine

jordan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-26-2012, 08:55 AM   #543
box elder
Forum Leader

so back to the show, i'm hoping they just kill andrea at this point. i don't think that character is salvageable

and i guess they didn't want to go full-on rape on a basic cable tv show. but i still think glenn is gonna be the one to go off on the governor, which i would love to see

by:  BILLY, jordan

Old 11-27-2012, 01:35 AM   #544
jordan
Hi Doggie

this episode alone had more ideas, conflicts, and fun zombie scenes than the entirety of seasons 1 and 2

Old 11-27-2012, 06:20 PM   #545
Dave Shutton
Thundercougerfalconbird

Default the walking dead

What happened to kenny if Ben had already died in the previous episode?

Dave Shutton is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-27-2012, 07:21 PM   #546
KING_HOMER
rap game taylor swift

you accidentally drop the walkie talkie into this pitch black room and christa jumps in after it and grabs it. you can hear the walkers inside start to come for her and everyone stats panicking. then kenny drops in and boosts her up and tries to hold then off. you don't see what happens to him but he definitely dies. 

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by hughes View Post
basically all of my favorite bands have been mocked by somebody in my life, at least on a more general level. i'm honestly fine with it

Instagram
KING_HOMER is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-27-2012, 08:03 PM   #547
Dave Shutton
Thundercougerfalconbird

Default the walking dead

Wow that one makes Kenny's death seem much less pointless, Ben was fucked either way

Dave Shutton is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-28-2012, 02:46 PM   #548
scott

so much fucking video game talk

isn't their a subforum specifically for this shit?

Old 11-28-2012, 02:52 PM   #549
jordan
Hi Doggie

get on board scott, i actually think you'd play this game pretty hilariously

(but sincerely the game is over and the show is still going so the game talk should be wrapping up now basically)

Old 11-28-2012, 04:23 PM   #550
scott

play it hilariously?

what is it, like one of those choose-your-own adventure books?

i already play nazi zombies in call of duty, dead island, deadrising, left for dead 1, and left for dead 2.

no room for more zombies.

Old 11-28-2012, 04:24 PM   #551
KING_HOMER
rap game taylor swift

actually yes it is like that.

KING_HOMER is offline   Reply With Quote
by:  jordan

Old 11-28-2012, 04:31 PM   #552
jordan
Hi Doggie

yeah...that's exactly what it is

you can play it as a nice guy or as a total monstrous asshole or as something in between

the entire concept of the game is about the choices you have to make in that world, who you choose to give food to, who you choose to save from zombies, whether you let a guy who annoys you die or not, whether you abandon the troublemakers or try to help them, whether you steal someone else's supplies or not, etc, etc, etc

Old 11-28-2012, 04:34 PM   #553
scott

i play those games a lot nicer than you'd think.

Old 11-28-2012, 04:36 PM   #554
jordan
Hi Doggie

ha

one interesting thing i did was after practically letting this one guy's kid die towards the beginning of the game, the guy HATED ME and i spent the entire rest of the game trying to win him back, which i eventually did. it was fascinating.

Old 11-28-2012, 04:47 PM   #555
scott

riveting

i play zombie games to shoot zombies. the only decisions i want to make are which zombies to shoot next.

Old 11-28-2012, 04:59 PM   #556
jordan
Hi Doggie

oh there's plenty of that too

Old 12-03-2012, 01:20 AM   #557
jordan
Hi Doggie

pretty awesome and exciting midseason finale i thought. not a dull moment. michonne continues to be a pretty badly executed character with no sensible motivations though (it's like they wanted her to have the same drive and revenge as in the comic, but unlike the comic the governor didn't DO anything to her to deserve it, but they kept her the same anyway...?)...but at least it led to some cool stuff.

Old 12-03-2012, 02:03 AM   #558
BILLY
BOARD MESSIAH COMPLEX

action-wise, it sorta peaked about halfway through the episode but still great stuff throughout.. it sort of blows my mind how good this show got this season. i've never seen that happen with a tv show before. looking forward to the second half of the season.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

trill

BILLY is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-03-2012, 08:36 AM   #559
box elder
Forum Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordan View Post
(it's like they wanted her to have the same drive and revenge as in the comic, but unlike the comic the governor didn't DO anything to her to deserve it, but they kept her the same anyway...?)
yeah, what did he do to her that would make her feel the need to ambush and murder him? he was ...sort of threatening i guess? that's why i thought they'd make it glenn who did that because at least he has a legitimate reason

anyway, i liked it but kind of wish they'd have gone a bit further. for a mid-season finale they should have done at least something with the daryl and mearle story instead of just dangling that out there at the very end

Old 12-03-2012, 10:08 AM   #560
jordan
Hi Doggie

yeah the story this season is basically "psychopath with a sword is invited by nice governor to stay in a nice town and offered to help with security work but instead loses her shit and threatens everyone and runs away, then comes back and sticks sword through governor's zombie daughter and stabs out his eye"

i just don't get how we're supposed to be on her side in any conceivable way.

even when the governor sent merle and a crew to kill michonne, i was thinking "yeah...that makes sense. she knows where the town is and seems highly unstable and violent"

even stuff like him keeping his daughter in that room...considering the world they live in, that isn't really crazy at all. what's he supposed to do? he doesn't know what's happening to her, or to everyone. she's secure, she wouldn't be able to escape (unlike the barn which was a mess), and he's just holding on to her while he can. i can see a lot of people doing the same thing. i just don't understand if we're supposed to be feeling michonne's "oh my god" reaction to that. i can't tell if the show is failing with all this or if it's supposed to be a complete reversal from the comics, to keep things interesting.

Old 12-03-2012, 01:56 PM   #561
box elder
Forum Leader

well, they have made it abundantly clear that he isn't some "nice governor in a nice town." he's still a murderer and an almost-rapist, or whatever. and for what it's worth everyone i know who watches the show but never read the comics roots for michonne in this case

but in principle i agree that her motivations are a little confusing. especially the fact that she never even tries to explain shit to andrea. like, why didn't she say "you know he's been torturing your friends" when she confronted her here? instead she just snarls and walks away leaving andrea to think she's a psychopath for no reason

Old 12-03-2012, 02:00 PM   #562
BILLY
BOARD MESSIAH COMPLEX

for the first time ever i watched past the opening credits of the talking dead last night and they explained that she went back to kill him because of the incident with meryl in the woods. she knew that the governor wanted her dead so she went back to take care of him. i agree, that was a little murky and might not even make sense, but that's where the writers were coming from.

BILLY is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-03-2012, 02:09 PM   #563
jordan
Hi Doggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by billy View Post
for the first time ever i watched past the opening credits of the talking dead last night and they explained that she went back to kill him because of the incident with meryl in the woods. she knew that the governor wanted her dead so she went back to take care of him. i agree, that was a little murky and might not even make sense, but that's where the writers were coming from.

yeah but the point is, you don't FEEL that lust for revenge and that justification. if their fight was to be some sort of cathartic ultimate battle between two nemeses, we did not feel it. because of bad storytelling and character work.

it's not that she has 0 reason to kill him (though again i think the governor from his POV made the right call in sending merle to kill her...she's fucking NUTS), it's that unlike the situation in the comics, this doesn't come across as "FUCK YEAH MICHONNE! GET HIM!" but more like "jesus christ Michonne what is your fucking problem?"

Old 12-03-2012, 02:29 PM   #564
box elder
Forum Leader

i still think you're mistaking him being portrayed as not nearly as evil as in the books with him being portrayed as a(n even somewhat) sane a decent guy. he still murders and kidnaps people for no reason and michonne knows this. plus, the only thing she ever wanted to do was leave the town. the only times they had confrontations was when he was preventing her from doing so. so no it doesn't make sense for him to let her go and then have people track her down and kill her unless he's an evil fuck

Old 12-03-2012, 02:34 PM   #565
jordan
Hi Doggie

but he never prevented her from leaving town. he asked her to reconsider and said she'd be great working with patrol teams. then she threatened him with her sword to his throat. she also let loose tons of zombies that were being held and slaughtered them all randomly. then he let her leave. and i can see after that insane UNPROVOKED confrontation from her, wanting to make sure she doesn't come back to the town and murder everybody. so i get why he sent them to kill her.

also i think in the world they live in, things aren't exactly "for no reason." maybe he murders to protect his citizens. maybe he doesn't trust outsiders, etc, etc. i'm not saying he's just an OK dude, but where i'm sitting michonne seems far worse. at least the governor HAS MOTIVATIONS (getting supplies, protecting others, etc)

Old 12-03-2012, 02:55 PM   #566
scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordan View Post
maybe he doesn't trust outsiders
except for the ones he keeps letting in that have allowed the population to grow to the point it's at, right?
Quote:
at least the governor HAS MOTIVATIONS (getting supplies, protecting others, etc)
yeah, like ambushing and slaughtering an entire military squad who probably could have done a better job protecting his town than the relatively untrained hooligans he has now.

Old 12-03-2012, 02:57 PM   #567
jordan
Hi Doggie

again i'm not saying he's right, i'm saying i don't think the show is doing a good enough job of having the audience root for michonne against him. if that's on purpose, then well, ok, i'll see where it goes.

also that's why "maybe" was there, i was listing off possible excuses he himself may be using in his own head to justify his actions. the show has given us no clue as to what michonne may be thinking in her head to justify her actions. i.e. what does she "care" about? the governor clearly seems to care about Woodbury and it's people and his status. he cares about his daughter. he cares about securing supplies and power and gathering up troops. i actually think the show's done a great job creating a compelling character. but michonne cares about....?

Old 12-03-2012, 03:05 PM   #568
box elder
Forum Leader

well, like i said before, everyone i know who watches the show and never read the books roots for michonne against him, so i guess they did a good enough job

and he very much did prevent her from leaving. he never came out and said "you can't leave" but she was asking for her sword and to let her leave from the very start and he kept saying "not right now not yet" and it was obvious to her that something was up. realizing that they ambushed and killed the army guys just confirmed her suspicions

i mean, i agree with you that her motivations aren't always perfectly clear and it seems the show is intentionally keeping her mysterious for now, but i absolutely disagree that they have failed to establish the governor as the clear "bad guy" in the situation

by:  BILLY, blueguy

Old 12-03-2012, 03:18 PM   #569
scott

i have yet to even remotely get the impression that the governor "cares about his people."

in fact, i think the show has done a hell of a job depicting pretty much the exact opposite. it's shown he cares about the illusion of caring about his people, but primarily to a selfish ends.

and i don't get how michonne's distrust and dislike is so hard to grasp. they were basically kidnapped and dragged to the town, had their weapons taken away, and kept against their will for the first day under armed guard outside their door. when she wanted her weapons returned, the governor ignored her. then he finds out he's hiding walkers in the town in secret and has to steal back her weapons because he wouldn't return them. then sure, he said they were free to leave, but it was never in any particularly comforting way. and then, once she did leave, she was chased down to be killed. and while on the run, she gets to witness merle kidnap two people at gunpoint and drag them back to town. oh, and, of course, she saw the decapitated heads of her pet zombies floating in the tanks of his office. and she caught him trying to cover up the fact he had gunned down that military squad.

so no, i don't see any compelling reason that she should even remotely trust the governor. from what she's witnessed, he's more than a little unstable. and while you seem to be willing to give the governor the benefit of the doubt wherever possible with your "maybes," you pretty much totally ignore that the one thing the show has done for michonne's character is create a "survive at any cost" mentality. she's made it as far as she has by trusting her instincts entirely...including decapitating her zombie friends at a moment's notice when it became necessary. she thought something was off about the guy, found evidence to support her mistrust, and acted on it. how is this so hard?

Old 12-03-2012, 03:20 PM   #570
jordan
Hi Doggie

i guess the actor is just too darn charming

User Tag List