Boards & Rec
Old 06-12-2005, 03:57 AM   #1
SideshowTim
thank you based god

Default Cricket Discussion Thread

well as cricket fans probably know, the ashes series is coming up and also the one dayers. the one dayers begin on the 18th of this month and the tests start late in july, personally i can't wait to stay up late every night at watch it. anyway, i think the ashes will be much closer this year, england have seemed to shake off the crappy mentality they had with hussein as captain. i still think australia will take the series though.

SideshowTim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-12-2005, 04:29 AM   #2
God
#board

Australia 3-1 (1 to weather). Can't see the poms winning.

God is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-12-2005, 04:34 AM   #3
SideshowTim
thank you based god

yeah i'm expecting alot of lost play to weather. damn england.

Old 06-12-2005, 05:35 AM   #4
The lesson is never try
Come on England!

Quote:
Originally Posted by God
Australia 3-1 (1 to weather). Can't see the poms winning.
i dont know, this is the strongest team weve had in years, and with Flintoff, Pieterson, Vaughan, Trescothick playing well, we may get the win.

The lesson is never try is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-12-2005, 05:39 AM   #5
SideshowTim
thank you based god

england have never played well against australia in recent years. england need alot of help in the bowling department and in the middle order. if they can fix those things up they are in with a real shot. england always have good opening stands and then collapse in the middle order. but yes, england does have a much stronger team this time around.

Old 06-12-2005, 01:49 PM   #6
The lesson is never try
Come on England!

If Giles, Flintoff, and espicially Harmison get bowling well, then the bowling is pretty up to standard, Harmisons been on fire lately.

Old 06-12-2005, 11:30 PM   #7
SideshowTim
thank you based god

flintoff has never had much sucess against australia. harminson got injured in the first match last series and he looked to be bowling well. there is a 20/20 match on tuesday morning, don't think i'll catch it but it'll be interesting to see how it goes.

Old 06-13-2005, 03:49 AM   #8
Grippa
El Duderinho

I think we finally have a team which can actually challenge the Aussies, but I'd have to say that the Aussies are still the favourites in my book.

Grippa is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-13-2005, 03:52 AM   #9
SideshowTim
thank you based god

i'm pumped about the 20/20 tonight. i still prefer the 50 overs version of the game but it will be interesting to see how the poms shape up tonight. ponting has said today that he wouldn't want any english players on his team except for flintoff. nothing like a good verbal stoush.

Old 06-13-2005, 05:47 AM   #10
God
#board

Ugh, I hate 20/20 its like rugby sevens for cricket. The 20/20 game here between NZ and Aussie was a huge joke (apart from the beige) and it was all a bit of slap and giggle.
--
Kevin Pietersen looks like an awesome player hopefully England use him instead of the remaining contigent of Dad's Army; Thorpe, Butcher, Trescothick, Gough. As for Flintoff, apart from Simon Katich he would have to be the most over-rated player in world cricket.

Old 06-13-2005, 05:51 AM   #11
SideshowTim
thank you based god

i enjoyed the game against new zealand (because of the uniforms...and also we smashed them). it's a fun game to watch and is good for new comers to the game of cricket, overall i think it would have a negative effect on the test careers of some players.

katich has potential, he has never fully used it at test level, but he is amazing for new south wales. he has shown glimpses of how he can play but nothing great yet. also, expect a big series from clarke and hayden.

Old 06-13-2005, 05:55 AM   #12
God
#board

I still think Bevan should be there instead of Katich. Didn't Bevan score about 10 centuries during the last gone domestic season ?

Old 06-13-2005, 06:01 AM   #13
SideshowTim
thank you based god

yep, but he has never converted well in the test version of the game. i think he's more suited to one dayers but since he was dropped from them too we won't be seeing him around much more. i think he played about 10 tests but his highest score was 94.

the reason they have katich instead of say, bevan is because the australian side is aging badly and katich is keeping the team sort of young.

Old 06-13-2005, 06:16 AM   #14
JonHillier
psssst

I seriously think that England can do this, as you say, I think they've come over the period where every game was a challenge. There's been a big boost of morale in recent years, and I think that'll show.

Wanted to go and see it, but tickets are incredibly expensive already. All sold out, and only ones available are 300 upwards.

JonHillier is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-13-2005, 06:20 AM   #15
SideshowTim
thank you based god

wow thats incredible how quickly it sold out. i just hope australia don't get too up themselves this year, however i think they know how england have progressed and how their mentality has changed. at their best australia are near impossible to beat but this will be a very close and entertaining series.

Old 06-13-2005, 03:05 PM   #16
SideshowTim
thank you based god

now, now don't get too excited england, it was only a twenty20. doesn't mean alot and i think winning could get the poms a bit too cocky. anway, england did play very well and batted solidly and bowled brilliantly. australia didn't really do anything too great, you know that when gillespie is your top scorer. but as i said, it's only a twenty20, let's get down to the real cricket i say.

things i am worried about:
* england will get too cocky, over estimate ability, lose a couple of matches and become down on themselves
* australia will have a weak middle order for the rest of the series
* the form of symonds with the bat
* being taunted on this forum by the poms!

god, you pointed out pietersen, he played very well today, took some good catches, hit a few boundaries, he certainly looks like one to watch. gough bowled well, too bad for you guys that he isn't playing in the test series. i think the ODI series will be a true reflection on both teams ability because we get to see more than 20 overs from each team, i think 50 overs each way will give a better picture of what the test series will be like.

england 8/179
collingwood 46
trescothick 41
symonds 3/31 (3)

australia 79
gillespie 24
lewis 4/24 (4)
gough 3/16 (3)

england win by 100 runs.

Old 06-14-2005, 05:54 AM   #17
God
#board

Didn't the aussies lose 5 wickets for 1 run ?

Old 06-14-2005, 06:21 AM   #18
SideshowTim
thank you based god

something like that. gough was on a hatrick at one point, the top order all dropped within about 4 overs.

Old 06-15-2005, 09:35 AM   #19
SideshowTim
thank you based god

rain stopped play in the one day tour match of australia against somerset. australia built up a great total of 5/342. ponting retired on 80 and hayden retired on 76, clarke got a quickfire 63* and hussey got a 50. australia look like they are on the right way up.

Old 06-15-2005, 09:46 PM   #20
God
#board

In reply somerset got 345/6 (i think) with 19 balls to spare, but they did have Jayasuriya and Graeme Smith getitng centuries.

Old 06-16-2005, 01:22 AM   #21
SideshowTim
thank you based god

yeah that's pretty amazing.

http://content.cricinfo.com/australi...ry/211219.html

there's an article about pontings response there, he doesn't seem to phased and i think this is actually a good thing for australia, seeing as though all the big scores were made by overseas players, not english players and they will learn from their mistakes. australian bowlers need to shape up. australia play bangladesh in the opening game of the one day series on saturday. let's go australia.

Old 06-16-2005, 09:03 PM   #22
God
#board

brett lee could miss tomorrows opening game with an injury.

Old 06-17-2005, 12:39 AM   #23
SideshowTim
thank you based god

http://content.cricinfo.com/australi...ry/211273.html

it's good that he will only be out for the triangular series. it's a shame though because he looked more in form than any other of the bowlers for one dayers. he should be back for the 3 match series against england though which is good.

Old 06-18-2005, 01:16 PM   #24
JonHillier
psssst

Wow, Australia lost to Bangladesh. Bit of a shocker.

JonHillier is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-18-2005, 07:15 PM   #25
Grippa
El Duderinho

Saw the end of it, love seeing an upset like that.

Grippa is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-18-2005, 08:45 PM   #26
Terrier Williger
Somebody Wake Up Hicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonHillier
Wow, Australia lost to Bangladesh. Bit of a shocker.
Yeah let's hope that the form Australia have shown so far in the 20/20 match, and todays embarrasing defeat to Bangladesh continues through the summer...although I guess we want it to improve somewhat, so they at least give England some competition

Anyway we'll see tomorrow what they're made of in the first "real" competetive cricket match of the summer between the 2 old foes.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

We live in a society of rules. Why do you think I took you to all those Police Academy movies? For fun? Well, I didn't hear anybody laughing! Did you?! Except at that guy who made sound effects. Brrruuummm!, zhoo-zhoo!, rrraaassspppp!, honk!, honk!, pkeeerrrrgghhh!, ahoo-hoo, he-he, hoo-hoo. Where was I? Oh yeah... Stay out of my booze!

My personal seasons' rankings : 4 > 6 > 7 > 8 > 3 > 5 > 2 > 9 > 1 > 16 > 15 > 18 > 17 > 14 > 10 > 13 > 12 > 11..19&20?..can't be arsed

Terrier Williger is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-19-2005, 02:40 AM   #27
SideshowTim
thank you based god

england are going to be in for a rude shock if they think australia will play like this all summer, remember it's cricket season over there, our guys haven't played competetive cricket for about 4 months. we will get into the rythym soon enough. don't think you will run away with the series easily, poms.

also bangladesh played well last night on the back of some tremendous luck. australia's batting is looking alright but their bowling is a bit suspect, i am expecting a huge improvement tonight because australia really should have bowled a side like bangladesh all out. let's go aussies.

Old 06-19-2005, 04:02 AM   #28
The lesson is never try
Come on England!

maybe theyre trying to get us into a false sense of security - we think theyre rubbish, but Australia, can and will beat anyone, England have got to be focussed on their on game, instead of seeing how others do.

However. i also see many of the Aussies *Cough*Sideshow Tim*Cough seem to be overestimating Australia, since they are usually brilliant, they also seem to think we will be a walkover, so you will have a huge shock, when the likes of Flintoff, Trescothick, and Strauss, are batting against you.

Old 06-19-2005, 04:10 AM   #29
God
#board

Great century by that Bangladeshi fella, Ricky Ponting looked pretty pissed when he was fielding.

Old 06-19-2005, 04:17 AM   #30
SideshowTim
thank you based god

Quote:
Originally Posted by The lesson is never try
However. i also see many of the Aussies *Cough*Sideshow Tim*Cough seem to be overestimating Australia, since they are usually brilliant, they also seem to think we will be a walkover, so you will have a huge shock, when the likes of Flintoff, Trescothick, and Strauss, are batting against you.
the australian team of today is arguably the greatest team that the cricketing world has ever seen. i am not overestimating them at all and at their best can't be defeated.

no australians had the idea that england would be a walkover this tour, we have seen the teams progress and know they will be a bit more competitive. sure england can play one dayers well but let's see how the fair against australia in the all important test matches.

User Tag List