Boards & Rec
Old 09-14-2019, 08:34 AM   #961
box elder
Forum Leader

Yeah, Sophia had a similar conversation about her mother/Maggie. I think a running theme was that life before the trials was basically erased and meaningless. Rick wishes Andrea could see the commonwealth but doesn’t even mention his previous wife (whose name I can’t even recall now). Also when I think about it, I’m pretty sure Carl and Sophia are the only two characters from the start of the series who survived, which also leans towards that “the past is dead” theme, as they were the children. And as michonne says, the new world is perhaps even better than it was before (I think this is exemplified in Carl’s story about the birds too - human beings made a mess of things and it took the trials to fix it [although, I don’t know what kind of legal system they’ve created but having a single judge have the power to just change/create laws on a whim is....maybe not the best?])

box elder is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-16-2019, 02:28 PM   #962
DAntae
Hardcore Boarder

haha, I did not even think much about what kind of justice system was installed. I just remember thinking the entire court part was the most ridiculous in my opinion. the fact you could own a human as property, turned or not seems like a big step backwards in general.

first wife, was Lori...and yeah they rarely bring her up after her death. I find that odd for a myriad of reasons.

aside from Maggie I think Carl and Sophia are the only original cast left, and of course they came before Maggie. I just always count her in.

DAntae is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-16-2019, 04:22 PM   #963
box elder
Forum Leader

yeah i mean that first group (pre-farm)

and yeah, i couldn't help but look at how the justice system worked and find it troubling. speaking of maggie, like that initial trial she just comes in as the president and tells the judge how to rule? in a case involving her own son, no less? i'm honestly not even sure how we're "supposed" to view all that. because on one hand it seems immediately corruptible and a sham, but on the other it's the characters we have followed and love (maggie and michonne) who are "corrupt," so maybe we're supposed to think it's good that the good people get to unilaterally decide things? what about when maggie and michonne and carl and everyone are gone? how do you trust that it will always be "good" people in those positions?

another thing i didn't think of before is why did it seem like eugene was rebuilding the entire rail infrastructure from scratch? there's no way that would be less work than simply cleaning up and repairing the existing tracks as needed. which is what they were doing when he was first getting the train going, so why did they suddenly need to build all new tracks to go out west?

Old 09-17-2019, 01:57 PM   #964
DAntae
Hardcore Boarder

good question. I guess that is one of those moments when you just have to forget about factual details and just go with what the plot is trying to deliver. I guess the best I can figure is maybe they were updating or retrofitting areas that were in need of it. unless they made mention of it being new passages?

the entire trip by Carl was just a glorified montage. it served its purpose, although the woman still being salty about Dwight seemed a little out of place.

Dwight was coming from the right place in wanting to liberate. that said she has to know the way he wanted to go about it would have gotten most if not everyone killed.

like was she there because she was skilled/helpful or was she exiled out there. that would have been a good subject to at least touch on for a page or two. instead Carl was a little self righteous invoking Rick again.

all these shortcomings of the last issue and I still thoroughly enjoyed it.

Old 09-18-2019, 07:42 AM   #965
box elder
Forum Leader

Yeah I don’t want to seem like I’m nitpicking because I did enjoy it, just thinking aloud basically. Honestly, it probably would have been better served to have a handful of issues take place in the flashforward instead of only one so as to cover these things in more detail, but that would have ruined the “surprise” ending. He also mentions in his letter that he wanted to wrap it up in a way that would neatly fit in compendium form (which aligns with book form) so I do appreciate that

Old 09-18-2019, 02:50 PM   #966
DAntae
Hardcore Boarder

they will cover it on AMC.

The Walking Dead: Railways to the West

Old 09-19-2019, 10:33 AM   #967
box elder
Forum Leader

haha. speaking of the show though how do they possibly approximate this ending without carl or rick? or do you think they'll bring rick back for the commonwealth story and just have judith replace carl? or will they just keep on going after the commonwealth story and not end it in line with the comics at all? i mean, if they intend to end it the same way they probably only have 2-3 years left tops (a year for the whisperers and 1-2 years for the commonwealth). especially since they've already introduced the commonwealth story with the radio, right? so they can't really drag that out but so much

Old 09-19-2019, 10:34 AM   #968
box elder
Forum Leader

in any case at least i know i only have 2-3 years left, because if they get past the commonwealth and are clearly intent to keep on chugging past the comics, i'll officially bow out for sure

Old 09-19-2019, 03:00 PM   #969
DAntae
Hardcore Boarder

good points. I would hope the whisperer arc is only one season. it really is not as strong a villain story as Governor/Woodbury or Negan/Sanctuary. Alpha and Beta while menacing, really only instill fear early on, with heads on the pikes. I feel like after that the communities really has no fear and united much more quickly. this is all based on how I felt reading the comic.

I assume all of the leader stuff will fall to Judith at some point, likely another time jump after the whisperer story is finished. so maybe she is the new Rick, and in some regards RJ (that was his name right?) will take on more of the Carl role?

it will need to be crafted, which is not a strong part of the show. I could see RJ being in the same scenario as Carl at the end, but they need a more definitive timeline to finish the show. I think this season, and then two more to wrap it up is perfect. I really do want the Commonwealth story.

then they can have spinoff shows galore, I will likely not care enough to follow them. although I do enjoy Fear more than I should, just something about it is more fun.

again, all this said. the upcoming movies could change everything. will it fill in gaps, create new timelines, or maybe even reunite? I would enjoy an ending of Judith and RJ finding Rick as a captive in Commonwealth. they break him out and take over. He would then die saving them...etc.

Old 09-19-2019, 04:04 PM   #970
box elder
Forum Leader

is RJ rick and michonne's kid? if so i don't think that would work for the ending because carl was there from the beginning and that kid is way too recent for anyone to really care about like that. even judith may be too recent, as even though she's been in the show for most of the run, she wasn't really a character until last season. but it would certainly work better than a show-only character who was only just invented in season 9. plus like you said that would require another significant time jump even before the final time jump for the ending

Old 09-20-2019, 10:54 AM   #971
DAntae
Hardcore Boarder

haha, I think they called the kid RJ but I am far from certain.

it all depends on how they handle future time jumps, or if it goes in an entirely different direction. I think since we have seen references to the commonwealth; they have to explore it now, right?

if the whisperers are handled before seasons end, then they could begin the shift. maybe have each of the last 2 seasons have a time jump. yeah RJ is late to the show, but the show always fast tracts characters. the movies will really be the bigger thing in relation, unless there will no overlap.

do you ever wonder if Kirkman's involvement is to feed them some general ideas of things he was too nervous to try in the comic?

Old 09-20-2019, 12:29 PM   #972
box elder
Forum Leader

that's interesting. is there some specific thing you feel like kirkman may have pitched in the show, or are you just speaking generally? i've always felt like kirkman probably didn't have much real involvement in the show at all, tbh. i mean he still had to write these things monthly (and i think he writes other comics too, right?) so how much spare time could he have possibly had. maybe he'll be more involved now that he's done with the book actually.

Old 09-20-2019, 12:53 PM   #973
DAntae
Hardcore Boarder

he is likely not involved much, more of a consultant is my guess. I just wonder if he ever thought of alternate things to try and just passed them on. perhaps not expecting them to be used, but since the writing is mostly bad; maybe they ran with it.

it is likely that the character's just has other things to do, college for Riggs and family for Lincoln. so they just needed a way to wrap things up for them. although in regards to Riggs, there have been so many things said, sounds like he really wanted to hang around.

Old 09-20-2019, 01:15 PM   #974
box elder
Forum Leader

i just assumed he wanted to leave because otherwise that decision was just....baffling as hell. especially if they knew lincoln was leaning towards leaving. losing both of those characters just changes the entire dynamic of the story

Old 09-20-2019, 02:07 PM   #975
DAntae
Hardcore Boarder

yeah it just depends on what story you hear related to it. the one I think is the most reasonable, is he wanted a hiatus to go to college. obviously not 4 years, but a chance to get a chance to have a 'normal' college experience. at least for a bit.

just like Lincoln is doing. he is gone for now, but with movies...I suspect at some point they will tie him back into the show. just on his timetable.

also, since they killed off Henry (hooray) the 'Car/Lydia' storyline is no more. so everything is already doing to be drastically different. I am curious to see how this season plays out, because without that as the backbone of the story it feels really hollow already.

Old 09-20-2019, 02:47 PM   #976
box elder
Forum Leader

i think it's just gonna be daryl creepily obsessed with her now

Old 09-23-2019, 03:18 PM   #977
DAntae
Hardcore Boarder

ewww, then it is going to be extra cringe worthy this season. the best I can gather from the previews it looks like he and carol are off together a bunch. big meh

Old 10-17-2019, 09:45 AM   #978
box elder
Forum Leader

stayed home sick from work yesterday so finally bothered to watch the first two episodes of the season. i may be starting to actively hate this show. that second episode was so profoundly boring and pointless it's hard to even explain. i have hated how they've handled the whisperers from the start, but it is only getting worse and worse. and now i have to trudge through an entire season of them dragging this boring shit out. tbh, if the comics hadn't ended, i'd probably give up at this point but because there's an end in sight i feel like i may as well stick it out to see how they handle it. and to be clear, i have zero doubt they will blow past the comics ending and keep going (assuming anyone is still watching at that point), but that will be the point where i definitely take my leave either way

Old 10-17-2019, 02:56 PM   #979
DAntae
Hardcore Boarder

I was waiting to get a few more recorded and binge on a rainy weekend. I will likely watch them sometime this weekend instead. my wife is surprisingly anxious to start this season already. she started watching during season 3...at this point I think it is more for her to see how the show can go on without Rick. like seriously it feels like without him and Carl the show will just go down the shitter so fast. I do enjoy JDM's portrayal of Negan most of the time...so that might at least give me some more incentive to stick around.

also, it feels like they have suckered me into 9 seasons. so I have to see this through kind of thing.

Old 10-17-2019, 04:15 PM   #980
box elder
Forum Leader

yeah i didn't say anything spoilery because i figured you hadn't watched yet. and tbh i'm not even sure if it's really "worse" than it has been for the last 5 years or so or if it's just so tired at this point that there's no benefit of the doubt left

User Tag List