Boards & Rec
Old 01-10-2010, 06:30 PM   #31
The Third Simpson Sister
Mystery Simpson Family Member

I fell in love with the Zelda series back with 'A Link to the Past' and have been a huge fan ever since.

The Third Simpson Sister is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-11-2010, 10:04 PM   #32
Chapel
Hardcore Boarder

I originally played Zelda 2. Weird, I know. But I was also like.... 4. So it just FELT too big to me. like "I'm not gonna be able to do this..."

Still liked it. First I ever beat was Link to the Past.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

"So this planet is completely uninhabited?"
"No, it's inhabited by robots."
"Oh... like the way a warehouse is inhabited by boxes?"

Chapel is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-12-2010, 01:07 AM   #33
steve
Hardcore Boarder

I always wondered my Nintendo never made another Zelda game in the style of II. Or even a part of a Zelda game that way, like one dungeon that was side-scrolling. It may be seen as the franchise's black sheep but I think it's a top-10 NES title, definitely. Maybe not a top-ten Zelda, but it's got a special place with me because it was one of the hardest games I ever beat as a kid. I remember level-grinding in the forest, killing those lizard guys with the spears and shields, until I reached 9/9/9, then finally making it all the way to the Great Palace with only one life left, then dying and Game Overing inside the palace, and going NOOOOOOOO, but then it restarted me back at the Great Palace's entrance! That was one of the biggest fucking reliefs ever. Making it TO the palace alone eats up two of your lives, one if you're incredibly skilled. But getting through the palace on just one life would be one hell of an accomplishment.

Upon reflection, Zelda II is probably the hardest Zelda game. Its closest contender would be the original.

steve is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-12-2010, 03:09 AM   #34
Chapel
Hardcore Boarder

I say 1 is the hardest just because you really don't know what the fuck to do. it doesn't help that the NPC's dialogue might as well be flat out lies with how helpful they are. (like in Castlevania 2)

I'm sure people today have memorized 1's Hyrule, but back then? I guess the fun is in discovery, but god damn if you didn't need to basically draw your own map.

Old 01-12-2010, 03:31 AM   #35
Magnum
Forum Leader

i was never deep enough into 1 to try a map, but i did with several dungeons from zelda 2

it sucks when you make a fucking mess out of your map in metroid and destroy your efforts entirely

Magnum is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-12-2010, 11:23 AM   #36
Channel Surfer
Hardcore Boarder

Zelda 2 was probably a little more arbitrary than 1 in regards to making progress, in that there were occasions where you might have to find some random tile in order to find some potion to increase your total magic so that you would be allowed to learn some spell or whatever. In the first game there was usually some kind of logic to dungeon placement and what not that didn't just feel like a guessing game. Dungeon 8 for instance is under a tree that practically begs to be burned down, and dungeon 7 is immediately suspicious as a fake fairy fountain that follows the template of all other previous dungeon entrances (dead end with one enemy guarding it).

Second quest kind of pushes it though...

Channel Surfer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-12-2010, 04:38 PM   #37
steve
Hardcore Boarder

There were quite a few guessing-games in Zelda II, like finding Bagu in a random tile in the forest to help you get past the river in Saria town; finding the hidden town of Kasuto by using the hammer to chop down a random tree in a secluded spot (granted, for where it is, you have to wonder that there's something hidden there). And some of the Heart and Magic Containers are hidden well as fuck. To this day, even after beating it umpteen times, I still have trouble finding the last one or two.

I dunno, I still say 2 is harder than 1 despite being more linear. When you're low on health and magic and on your last life, you're completely screwed unless you get lucky and an enemy drops a red magic jar, or you're near one of the very few fairies in a dungeon. There are no hearts or potions, only the Life magic which you can only use twice with full maxed-out magic. You don't even start back at the beginning of the level if you get Game Over, like in 1.

1's second quest trumps all Zelda games in difficulty though. I wish more Zelda games did a second quest, though I guess it would mean requiring double the development time.

Old 01-12-2010, 11:13 PM   #38
grapestr33t4life
Banned

I'm a relative newcomer to Zelda. My first game was Twilight Princess for the Wii and it was really really REAL good. I had so much fun playing that game and Midna's my favorite character, she's so cute and funny but really deep too.

I downloaded Ocarina of Time and I haven't played it much, but it's really cool. What interests me is Saria's Song. I'm sure most people played TP after Ocarina, and when they got to that Sacred Grove with that annoying baby scarecrow thing, they heard the music and got nostalgic for Ocarina of Time. But I played Ocarina after TP, and when I went into the Forest for the first time, the music came up and I was filled with fond memories of exploring the Sacred Grove with Midna.

Damnit I love these games.

grapestr33t4life is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-13-2010, 01:30 PM   #39
box elder
Forum Leader

i agree with steve that zelda 2 is awesome and one of my favorite zelda titles. just the epicness of it, especially playing it in pre-internet times when my friends and i would trade tips and secrets we found. i still recall spending hours trying to get through those caves to get the hammer

box elder is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-13-2010, 01:54 PM   #40
box elder
Forum Leader

great, this thread just made me hook up my old nintendo

thanks for wasting hours upon hours of my time guys

box elder is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-13-2010, 05:13 PM   #41
Magnum
Forum Leader

also had one of the best fighting systems on the nes

leaping down on an enemy is the fucking best

Old 01-14-2010, 12:38 PM   #42
joe
board militant™

I grew up on 1 & 2, but A Link to the Past (3) is still my favorite and really the last one I completed since I got out of video games. I would love for them to release the original two games with updated graphics. I am so close to buying a Wii, and I think that would cinch it for me.

Zelda 2 is one of the hardest games I have ever played. I have only beaten it once.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

http://img.chan4chan.com/img/2010-05-26/20qx9bo.jpg
Heckling a Puppet show.

joe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-15-2010, 12:54 PM   #43
Channel Surfer
Hardcore Boarder

Nothing has ever come of it, but I do remember a few years back Aonuma was discussing how he'd like to remake Link to the Past in 3D. Not quite what you're looking for, but it's still interesting that he brought it up.

http://nintendoeverything.com/76/

Old 01-15-2010, 07:56 PM   #44
steve
Hardcore Boarder

I always remember him mentioning that. I'd love to see it come to fruition but I doubt it. I'd rather they work on new Zelda titles. It'd be a nice way to tide over the wait until Wii Zelda comes around, though. We'll never see it before then though.

Old 01-15-2010, 09:12 PM   #45
Magnum
Forum Leader

playing the ocarina of time master quest. gonna try to finish it this time, but i'm having to use a half-chewed gamecube controller, which has a thumbstick thats just fucking hell on my thumb.

virtual console classic controllers work for gamecube games right?

Old 01-15-2010, 09:17 PM   #46
steve
Hardcore Boarder

nope, only original gamecube controllers work

master quest is on my priority list actually. I figure after I beat the three-heart challenge on regular Ocarina of Time, Master Quest will be a breeze. until I try beating Master Quest on the three-heart challenge. holy shit that's going to be hard.

Old 01-15-2010, 09:36 PM   #47
Magnum
Forum Leader

bullshit

edit: over the controller, i mean

Old 01-15-2010, 10:46 PM   #48
Blake
It's a wonderful restaurant!

Is it wrong to rank Wind Waker equally with OOT?

Blake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-15-2010, 10:54 PM   #49
D'ohmer
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mt. Doom View Post
Is it wrong to rank Wind Waker equally with OOT?
No, it's your opinion. An opinion can't be wrong.

D'ohmer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-16-2010, 12:53 AM   #50
Jims
Hates ferrets.

Master Quest is really fun in terms of how ROMhacky it is, in a way. You don't see that many 3-D games get completely overhauled in terms of the level layouts often... Or at least stuff made by Nintendo. Some of the coolest stuff in Master's Quest was the traditional sequence-breaking some of the dungeons have. If I remember correctly, you go through Dodongo's Cavern hub areas in a completely different order than the main quest.

If I remember correctly, they actually made the Water Temple a little easier in Master Quest. I think it was because they blocked off a few areas of the temple that did it.

Jims is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-16-2010, 12:12 PM   #51
Greased Scotsman
Stranger in this town

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jims View Post
If I remember correctly, they actually made the Water Temple a little easier in Master Quest. I think it was because they blocked off a few areas of the temple that did it.
Yeah, there were a few areas that you didn't need to go through unless you were getting the Gold Skulltulas. Which are a bitch to find in Master Quest - especially when it was 2003, going for 100% completion and there were no walkthroughs available for it yet.

And yeah, going through Dogongo's Cavern backwards was great. I think IIRC a few of the temples did that too. Even getting the Dungeon Map and Compass in MQ was a pain in the arse.

Greased Scotsman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-16-2010, 01:19 PM   #52
Channel Surfer
Hardcore Boarder

I think the Water Temple is about the same in both. True you don't have to go through every room, but the individual puzzles require more observance and it's, if I remember correctly, less immediately obvious which general direction you need to go in first. Considering it has to work on your known expectations from your first go at the place, I'd say it worked out pretty well. Better than the Fire Temple anyway...

Spirit Temple also has the greatest rom-hackish puzzle Nintendo has ever released. Yes more than even Jabu-Jabu's decapitated cows.

Three heart challenge shouldn't be much harder in Master Quest than the normal Ocarina of Time however. Enemies for the most part aren't more difficult. It's mainly the new puzzles.

Old 01-16-2010, 03:10 PM   #53
Firestarter17
Boarder

actually the good thing about the MQ water temple is that once you got the small key, you knew you were almost finished

Firestarter17 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-16-2010, 05:07 PM   #54
Disgruntled Goat
has his moments

Quote:
Originally Posted by Channel Surfer View Post
Nothing has ever come of it, but I do remember a few years back Aonuma was discussing how he'd like to remake Link to the Past in 3D. Not quite what you're looking for, but it's still interesting that he brought it up.
That brings up an interesting point actually - do you think they will ever release remakes of Zelda classics? I mean, they've done it with the Pokemon and Mario franchises. The Nintendo DS could easily handle the original (S)NES games.

Simpson Crazy
Now with iGoogle gadgets! Try Quote of the Day and Word of the Day

my other sites: Toon images · Song Lyrics · Website tutorials

Disgruntled Goat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-16-2010, 05:14 PM   #55
Magnum
Forum Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Channel Surfer View Post
Better than the Fire Temple anyway...
i was super pissed when i realised they removed the muslim prayers in the rerelease. they sounded so fucking awesome

Old 01-16-2010, 05:18 PM   #56
Greased Scotsman
Stranger in this town

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgruntled Goat View Post
That brings up an interesting point actually - do you think they will ever release remakes of Zelda classics? I mean, they've done it with the Pokemon and Mario franchises. The Nintendo DS could easily handle the original (S)NES games.
Well there have been handheld ports in the past, but I think the only Zelda remake we've seen is Link's Awakening DX. I wouldn't mind an HD remake of Ocarina of Time but the thing about remakes is that it'll make the purists furious if it isn't perfect.

Greased Scotsman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-16-2010, 06:37 PM   #57
Drew
Banned

Check out my zelda song.

Drew is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-16-2010, 09:13 PM   #58
Chapel
Hardcore Boarder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greased Scotsman View Post
Well there have been handheld ports in the past, but I think the only Zelda remake we've seen is Link's Awakening DX. I wouldn't mind an HD remake of Ocarina of Time but the thing about remakes is that it'll make the purists furious if it isn't perfect.
Can you really blame them?

I know if they made an OoT remake that looked like TP I'd have a conniption. TP is blurry and muddy, with its fair share of bloom.

Old 01-16-2010, 11:18 PM   #59
Blake
It's a wonderful restaurant!

I was hoping for another cell-shaded home-console game sometime in the future but that seems unlikely now. I liked Spirit Tracks but I prefer the characters from the Great Sea era over all the others so I really hope they haven't shut the door completely on those guys by moving forward to long after New Hyrule's been established. I like goofy Wind Waker Link and spunky Tetra way better than serious engineer Link and Prissy Zelda

Blake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-17-2010, 06:11 AM   #60
Magnum
Forum Leader

now that i think of it, by being so unoriginal to the series in a greater sense, and sticking to replaying the basic tropes, but being persistently newish about the smaller stuff, and by having a larger overall feel, twilight princess really feels more like a reboot to the series than the even wind waker did.

this time i'm really taking much more time to finish subquests on ocarina than i ever really did before. makes me want to complete it. completion is something i practically do without thinking on link to the past, but i never really went the extra mile on ocarina. god knows why.

also pumped to replay majora's mask. i only finished it once ten years ago, and i've barely played it since. maybe i'll finally get that great fairy sword.

User Tag List