Boards & Rec
Old 06-03-2019, 10:51 PM   #121
rubber cat
pineapple shoes

glad his reign of terror is over

_________________________________________________________________________________________

rubber cat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-04-2019, 12:01 PM   #122
DAntae
Hardcore Boarder

she was a worthy winner, but James phoned it in yesterday. He kept it competitive but he just did not buzz in on a few he knew. it was like he was waiting for the right person to pass the torch on to. that is just how it came off to me.

DAntae is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-05-2019, 03:01 PM   #123
box elder
Forum Leader

how do you know what he "knew"? i mean, he seems like a weird guy, but i highly doubt he simply gave up on making $50,000/hour or whatever his actual time filming vs wages works out to

box elder is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-06-2019, 11:14 AM   #124
DAntae
Hardcore Boarder

that was why I ended the post with saying that is how it came off to me.

I clearly have no way of knowing if he knew all the answers, but I have watched all of his appearances and he seemed genuine in not wanting the hype attached with the show. it felt like he bowed out. not everyone is comfortable being the top guy. his 'weird' behavior was more like social anxiety/awkwardness, with forced smiles and small talk.

no discredit to Emma, she knew all the answers and played very much the same way. perhaps it was him being shocked by getting some competition and he did not know how to react. based on past performances, it appeared (to me) he was paying forward to someone he felt could run with it.

Old 06-06-2019, 11:26 AM   #125
box elder
Forum Leader

it's rare that someone makes it onto the show and just doesn't know most of the answers. the main skill is working the buzzer, and maybe she's as good at that as he is. i just feel like even with the caveat of "no discredit," implying that there's no way she beat him without him laying down is pretty shitty

Old 06-06-2019, 11:55 AM   #126
DAntae
Hardcore Boarder

yeah I made reference to the buzzer in a post on the previous page. that is why he was so impressive because he has an uncanny way of buzzing as the question was ended. like right at the same time Trebek would finish reading the clue. Emma was fast as well, but not as fast as he had been in previous games. So again he may have been rattled by competition, but as a viewer it appeared to me that he gave less than his usual all. I have no way of knowing if that is true, or even if he had the result would be different. There is no disrespect from me towards Emma winning. again just stating my opinion on how it appeared to me. If that is 'pretty shitty' then I guess it is 'pretty shitty'.

Old 06-06-2019, 12:09 PM   #127
box elder
Forum Leader

not trying to say you're a bad person or anything haha. and it's perfectly possible that he had an off game or something (they film these all bunched together so he was probably pretty exhausted at that point). but i feel like there's a difference between saying "he had an off night" even and saying he purposefully lost. and the latter definitely takes the credit away from the person who beat him, even if that's not your intent

Old 06-06-2019, 01:30 PM   #128
kupomog
spring love, come back to me

Yeah I have never regularly watched Jeopardy. I almost never was home when it aired and continue to not be home when it airs here. I'm not smart enough for it so I'm more of a Wheel person if anything...that one I could watch.

That said, this read was interesting, considering I know zilch about Jeopardy other than the rules.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/06/03/a...-jeopardy.html

_________________________________________________________________________________________

kupomog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-06-2019, 01:44 PM   #129
DAntae
Hardcore Boarder

sean, I know. no offense taken. we have boarded long enough where I can take you calling me out on something if I am being an asshole.

again it was an observation I noted. Emma and James are both clearly able to process info at a much faster rate than the average person. like you said, most everyone who makes it knows a large portion of the answers. the problem with wrong answers often it seems is they know a little about everything, but then are unable to process and eliminate quickly. that is why the players who have decent runs just seem to have that extra gear.

sort of opposite of kupo, I am by no means a brainiac but I usually do respectable playing along with Jeopardy, aside from literary topics. I have always had a problem retaining authors names. story topic, characters etc...those I can nail, but ask the author and unless it is a no brainer; I am at a loss.

wheel of fortune I watch often enough, but the answer never comes to me until like it is a foregone conclusion.

User Tag List