Boards & Rec
Old 02-20-2013, 02:32 PM   #31
scott

i was gonna ask you the same thing, actually.

all i did was make a correction to something you said and took a very mild, tenuous personal position on a character. you're the butthurt weirdo insisting upon something you clearly didn't even understand, to no discernible end.

Old 02-20-2013, 04:18 PM   #32
Run CMB
perisian torpedo

Run CMB is offline   Reply With Quote
by:  Spartan

Old 02-26-2013, 12:42 AM   #33
cole
start the clock

i avoided a lot of these posts because of fear of spoilers, but am i the only one bothered by the talking to the camera thing? it feels like such a cheat and it always makes me check out. as a device i don't object to it, but the way in which it is used bothers me.

just finished episode three. hooked on the show, in spite of the fact that i have a lot of complaints.

cole is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-26-2013, 12:44 AM   #34
BILLY
BOARD MESSIAH COMPLEX

you are far from the only person who doesn't like that. worked for me, personally.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

trill

BILLY is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-26-2013, 09:52 PM   #35
Fuzzy Dunlop
#盗品

the original was based on Richard III, so it made stylistic sense

it doesn't work as well without the Shakespearean stylings

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyPalooza View Post
She has an intriguingly long ass crack.
Fuzzy Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-02-2013, 09:27 PM   #36
KING_HOMER
rap game taylor swift

liked the asides, especially when he would be talking to someone and glance at the camera in an "are you fucking kidding me" kind of way

i kind of agree with whoever said the show was like what an outsider would imagine washington to be like. a lot of the subplots (like the early episode about the water tower) were a bit frustrating because of that. there were a couple other meandering "i fucked ted" level subplots except they didn't pay off at all. claire with the photographer was one of the most boring things i've seen on any show and frank visiting his college was pretty bad too barring the gay stuff which could potentially be interesting next season.

it also seemed a little inconsistent that with all the asides making it seem like the audience was supposed to be aware of everything frank was doing we weren't made explicitly aware of the details of frank's plan to become vp until zoe and friends piece it together. it felt like the show couldn't decide how much they wanted the audience to know about frank's motivations and then tacked on some of the asides as an afterthought because of it.

the finale wasn't bad but it did feel sort of weird for the season to end with just a ringing blackberry. 

KING_HOMER is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-04-2013, 03:45 AM   #37
cole
start the clock

politically, this show is absurd for reasons that everyone has touched on so far. i still really like homeland though, and it's even less believable.

really enjoyed this first season, but i am embarrassed that i didn't realize congressman russo (corey still) played hemingway in midnight in paris until just now.

i think ending his arc was the primary reason things felt (for lack of a better word) "off" at the end. he was by far the most compelling actor. i'm anxious to see if ending his arc at that point in time was the only conceivable way to advance the plot. also, i would have preferred if he was driven to suicide by underwood's schemes, rather than flat out murdered. i'm ok with the political aspects being so farfetched (i don't like it, but i can tolerate it), but that moment was too much .

cole is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-05-2013, 12:52 AM   #38
burnin'
To the book depository!

burnin' is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-05-2013, 01:08 AM   #39
Fuzzy Dunlop
#盗品

that'd be a better show

Old 03-21-2013, 02:07 AM   #40
phil
for you

i liked it

phil is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-23-2013, 11:08 AM   #41
joe
board militant™

I started watching this on my flight home from Europe. Then watched the next 9 over this weekend. I think I have a couple to go. It isn't perfect, but I have found it to be compelling drama. I can't wait to see where this is going.

http://img.chan4chan.com/img/2010-05-26/20qx9bo.jpg
Heckling a Puppet show.

joe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-24-2013, 08:42 AM   #42
Fuzzy Dunlop
#盗品

Basically the same as Joe, I got hooked on it on a flight from Europe. It's not a great show (it is good, though) but it seems engineered to be consumed compulsively.

Old 02-25-2014, 10:23 AM   #43
Jared
6ft. 180

Bump for season 2.

Just watched the premiere last night. We watched season 1 in the fall so it was all relatively fresh.

Show picks right up where it left off and doesn't miss a beat. I don't read spoilers and hadn't read anything about season 2 at all, except for there appears to be sex scene everyone is talking about that happens at some point this season. Needless to say the "holy shit" moment in this episode got both me and my wife. 

R is among the most menacing of sounds. That's why they call it murder, not muckduck.

Jared is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-26-2014, 09:49 PM   #44
Oatpay
razor burnz

whipped through season 2 in about five days. quite a bit darker than season 1 IMO

@Jared (not giving anything away) -  the "sex scene" you mentioned isn't really much of a sex scene per se, but it still kind of came out of nowhere (i didn't read any spoilers before watching, and didn't even know about this until i watched it). you'll know it when you see it 

for those who finished this season -  since there will be a season 3, i wonder how underwood's past actions - literally killing russo and zoe - as well as the circumstances that led to stamper's death, will lead to the end of his presidency, since it seems to me that it's bound to happen eventually. claire admitting on national television she had multiple abortions will probably bite frank in the ass when he inevitably campaigns for a full term of his own. it'd make sense to end the series after season 4, to coincide with the end of his term. re-election doesn't seem likely, but who knows. the show is a glorified soap opera, and i love it 

Oatpay is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-26-2014, 10:11 PM   #45
Jared
6ft. 180

Looking forward to it, gonna try and stretch it out and not binge watch. I think we watched season one over the course of 3 weeks.

Old 02-26-2014, 10:22 PM   #46
Oatpay
razor burnz

i was gonna stretch it out too, but i got laid off from my job early last week and was unemployed for a few days (started a crappy restaurant job on monday for now, ugh), so i had to do something to occupy my time in between submitting my resume online/filling out apps to about 30 different places that pay more than restaurants and, yeah, blew through the whole season in 5 days. no regrets

Old 02-27-2014, 12:19 AM   #47
KING_HOMER
rap game taylor swift

kate mara exploding on hitting the train was like the funniest thing i've ever seen

Quote:
Originally Posted by hughes View Post
basically all of my favorite bands have been mocked by somebody in my life, at least on a more general level. i'm honestly fine with it

Instagram

Old 02-27-2014, 12:21 AM   #48
KING_HOMER
rap game taylor swift

Quote:
Originally Posted by KING_HOMER View Post
frank visiting his college was pretty bad too barring the gay stuff which could potentially be interesting next season.
called this shit

Old 02-27-2014, 01:20 AM   #49
Old Crutches
Softcore Boarder

Is this show's first season available on Netflix yet? I don't want to commit to buying the DVDs and would like a taste.

hello

Old Crutches is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-27-2014, 11:38 AM   #50
Jared
6ft. 180

The show is exclusive to Netflix. If you already have a subscription, no extra monetary investment needed.

Old 02-27-2014, 09:40 PM   #51
Old Crutches
Softcore Boarder

I do have Netflix but for some reason I now feel like pirating it

Old 02-27-2014, 10:42 PM   #52
KING_HOMER
rap game taylor swift

are you retarded

Old 02-28-2014, 06:42 PM   #53
Old Crutches
Softcore Boarder

Fuck you

Old 02-07-2015, 02:29 AM   #54
rubber cat
pineapple shoes

finally got around to finishing season 2

ehhhh not really sure about this show anymore. the relentless darkness has gotten really ridiculous. almost gave up when a man threatened to kill a guinea pig

I feel sorry for freddy and I will miss  doug, despite everything 

rubber cat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-07-2015, 02:43 AM   #55
Oatpay
razor burnz

yeah, i felt the most sorry for freddy. sucks that the mild-mannered bbq restaurant owner had to get caught up in this shit because the president felt freddy made the best ribs in DC

Old 03-05-2015, 11:02 PM   #56
rubber cat
pineapple shoes

halfway through season 3 now

yay, doug's alive

frank ranting about entitlements makes him seem more evil than the murders

the campaign stuff is a lot more interesting than everything with tusk and china last season

they keep showing a portrait of bill clinton (at least I think it's him) in the background which makes me wonder what happened to hillary in this universe

Old 03-06-2015, 12:12 AM   #57
Oatpay
razor burnz

i'm at the same point as you are this season. claire is trying to act like a co-president just like hillary did during bubba's first term until she was told to tone it down when he got reelected in '96. the comparisons are pretty obvious to me, and subtlety is definitely not something this show does well

but hell yes, stamper

Old 03-08-2015, 01:31 AM   #58
rubber cat
pineapple shoes

finished with season 3

doug  is fucking terrifying when he's in murder mode . tied with claire for season's mvp

overall, much better than last season. seemed more focused, had more interesting characters (petrov, dunbar), higher stakes. the low point for me is everything with the author who seemed more of a narrative device than a person.

User Tag List