Boards & Rec
Old 02-04-2013, 05:25 PM   #61
scott
He's a Dick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam View Post
i think that to imply anything is political correctness going "too far", and therefore that political correctness can go mad, is dangerous.
what? no it's not "dangerous." it can go wrong, and it can have consequences.

i've seen some really fucking bizarre manifestations of these ideals pushed by parents onto their children to protect them recently, and it's fucking stupid and probably more than a little counter-productive. my 8 and 10 year old siblings are only just now allowed to win or lose in their little league or soccer games. they either wouldn't keep score, or would modify the rules so both teams would end up with equal scores, right up until this last year. the idea is, ostensibly, to protect them from the 'damage' that comes from losing such endeavors. how the fuck is coddling a child from the reality of inevitably failures going to help them at all? it's one thing as an adult to not be dunking over your child in a driveway basketball game and reject every shot he takes. it's another to handicap your kids against loss amongst his own fucking peers.

never mind that...there are public schools in our area that promote school uniforms for the purpose of preventing bullying on the basis of socioeconomic status. talk about a fucking overreach. so rather than address the bullying on an individual level or taking a larger campaign approach, you just offer another coddling, patchwork solution? you shield the kids from the harsh realities of economic inequalities (which, short of full-blown communism, are pretty much inherent in any society, anywhere, ever) in a way that only stunts his development? you think protecting a kid from bullying about his shitty clothes isn't going to just allow the bullying to manifest itself some other, perhaps more harmful way? you're not offering any real solution...just delaying the inevitability of a child's discovery...which does not at all promote individual growth or maturity. it's just more hyper-reactionary nonsense masquerading as some loose form of justice.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

scott is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-04-2013, 05:26 PM   #62
scott
He's a Dick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjamin View Post
I'm not sure you've understood this, so this'll sound patronizing if you have, but the authors complaint is that it doesn't allow for people who don't identify as male or female. As if the game should be obligated to incorporate the vast spectrum of genderqueer identities into the game http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genderqueer
and as if 95% of 8 year olds who are playing the fucking game have even the remotest understanding of that spectrum. more overreaching adults feigning indignation on behalf of the indifferent.

Old 02-04-2013, 05:44 PM   #63
adam
sweating holes in my zoot suit

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjamin View Post
I'm not sure you've understood this, so this'll sound patronizing if you have, but the authors complaint is that it doesn't allow for people who don't identify as male or female. As if the game should be obligated to incorporate the vast spectrum of genderqueer identities into the game http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genderqueer
no, i understood the complaint, i'm not sure what you thought i might have meant. my point is that having a game ask you "are you a boy or girl" is overwhelmingly a good thing that doubles the amount of people that can relate to the game. to say that lacking further options is forcing gender binary on children is wrong when this was clearly an inclusive move.

adam is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-04-2013, 05:55 PM   #64
adam

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott View Post
what? no it's not "dangerous." it can go wrong, and it can have consequences.

i've seen some really fucking bizarre manifestations of these ideals pushed by parents onto their children to protect them recently, and it's fucking stupid and probably more than a little counter-productive. my 8 and 10 year old siblings are only just now allowed to win or lose in their little league or soccer games. they either wouldn't keep score, or would modify the rules so both teams would end up with equal scores, right up until this last year. the idea is, ostensibly, to protect them from the 'damage' that comes from losing such endeavors. how the fuck is coddling a child from the reality of inevitably failures going to help them at all? it's one thing as an adult to not be dunking over your child in a driveway basketball game and reject every shot he takes. it's another to handicap your kids against loss amongst his own fucking peers.

never mind that...there are public schools in our area that promote school uniforms for the purpose of preventing bullying on the basis of socioeconomic status. talk about a fucking overreach. so rather than address the bullying on an individual level or taking a larger campaign approach, you just offer another coddling, patchwork solution? you shield the kids from the harsh realities of economic inequalities (which, short of full-blown communism, are pretty much inherent in any society, anywhere, ever) in a way that only stunts his development? you think protecting a kid from bullying about his shitty clothes isn't going to just allow the bullying to manifest itself some other, perhaps more harmful way? you're not offering any real solution...just delaying the inevitability of a child's discovery...which does not at all promote individual growth or maturity. it's just more hyper-reactionary nonsense masquerading as some loose form of justice.
i don't disagree with any of this post apart from the implication that this is the result of taking political correctness too far. what are "these ideals" in this context?

Old 02-04-2013, 06:06 PM   #65
scott
He's a Dick!

you know political correctness is a very wide concept, right? it doesn't just mean "don't use mean exclusive words."

Quote:
Political correctness is a term which denotes language, ideas, policies, and behavior seen as seeking to minimize social and institutional offense
the idea behind both of those (particularly the latter) is promoting a sense of equality/equal treatment by shielding individuals against ever-present inequalities. school uniforms done under the pretense of protecting kids against socioeconomic bullying is pretty obviously an attempt at "PC," whether you've personally branched your definition of the phrase to be that inclusive.

either way, this:
Quote:
i think that to imply anything is political correctness going "too far", and therefore that political correctness can go mad, is dangerous.
is just playing silly. wtf is this "danger" you speak of. you think a broad, sweeping concept like "political correctness" can never be adapted to be deconstructive, or over-utilized to the point of having a coddling effect that ill-prepares people for facing inherent inequalities? i don't get what the fuck this "danger" you're talking about is. of course things can be dangerous if taken to ill-conceived extremes, even if that "danger" is lesser than the dangers presented by the opposite extreme.

Old 02-04-2013, 06:39 PM   #66
adam

yeah, you're right. political correctness is an umbrella term that's boundaries aren't well defined enough for me to make sweeping generalisations like that. i was definitely taking a narrower definition.

Old 02-04-2013, 06:40 PM   #67
scott
He's a Dick!

basically i never forgave my mom for supporting school uniforms when i was in 5th grade.

by:  pocketfox

Old 02-04-2013, 06:53 PM   #68
ray_winstone
stone island jacket

full communism it is then

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
well "cunt" ALWAYS means "vagina"
ray_winstone is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-04-2013, 06:54 PM   #69
ray_winstone
stone island jacket

(post/av)

ray_winstone is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-04-2013, 09:14 PM   #70
rubber cat
pineapple shoes

look i just want to make fun of otherkin without brent calling me a bigot

rubber cat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-05-2013, 02:04 AM   #71
cole
start the clock

i just want @scott to stop using the word "faggot" because it is embarrassing.

cole is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-05-2013, 02:07 AM   #72
scott
He's a Dick!

you're such a precious bitch

Old 02-05-2013, 02:08 AM   #73
cole
start the clock

racial and sexual slurs are hilarious

i'm just kidding, nigger

Old 02-05-2013, 02:13 AM   #74
scott
He's a Dick!

i don't think comedic value is quite the point. but i think that's spartan's word, no?

has jake gotten to you?

Old 02-05-2013, 02:13 AM   #75
cole
start the clock

we've had this conversation on the phone. why do you feel it is ok to use the word "faggot" ...

Old 02-05-2013, 02:18 AM   #76
scott
He's a Dick!

when the fuck did we ever talk on the phone?

Old 02-05-2013, 02:19 AM   #77
cole
start the clock

text messaging. your defense was essentially that louis ck uses it

Old 02-05-2013, 02:23 AM   #78
scott
He's a Dick!

my defense is it doesn't fucking matter who cares shut up stop feeling so guilty because you live in a part of the country with people who use it in earnest regularly.

Old 02-05-2013, 02:26 AM   #79
pocketfox
THAT'S MY PURSE!

I remember when Kobe and Joakim Noah both got in trouble for saying "faggot" within the span of like two weeks.

I remember feeling a little bit bad for Noah, since I really doubt he's actually a homophobe, but also thinking that Kobe could go fuck himself.

pocketfox is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-05-2013, 02:27 AM   #80
cole
start the clock

i work with educated people, so, no, i never hear that word. only homophobic people or assholes use that word.

Old 02-05-2013, 02:29 AM   #81
scott
He's a Dick!

well gee it sounds like you just answered your own question.

Old 02-05-2013, 02:30 AM   #82
cole
start the clock

who here has really been in a conversation with someone since middle school where the word 'faggot" was used? i can't think of one.

it's a word dumb people use.

by:  DTJeremy, joe

Old 02-05-2013, 02:32 AM   #83
cole
start the clock

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott View Post
well gee it sounds like you just answered your own question.
so ... you're homophobic? you're too educated to claim ignorance.

Old 02-05-2013, 02:33 AM   #84
scott
He's a Dick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cole View Post
so ... you're homophobic?
what was your secondary option, champ?

i guess it's only comedic in the sense that it amuses me that it bothers you so much at this point. i'd also be shocked if i'm the only person on this board to use a slur in the last month.

it has nothing to do with ignorance. i just don't give a fuck boohoo care more.

Old 02-05-2013, 02:35 AM   #85
cole
start the clock

you're pretty much the only person that uses the word "faggot" here

most others can get their point across without homophobic slurs

Old 02-05-2013, 02:39 AM   #86
scott
He's a Dick!

i rarely use the word in a context that is "trying to get a point across," so what the fuck is your point?

just shut up already.

Old 02-05-2013, 02:40 AM   #87
Squelvin
cardboard horror

precious bitch is a far better phrase, and probably fits your colloquial definition to a tee

Squelvin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-05-2013, 02:40 AM   #88
cole
start the clock

you feel the right to use the word. explain. i know i'm not in the minority that cringes when i see you use it. it is embarrassing.

Old 02-05-2013, 02:43 AM   #89
The Sovereign
Hella wet

The Sovereign is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-05-2013, 02:45 AM   #90
scott
He's a Dick!

i already did defend it. what's your point? i don't give a fuck. that's why. that's the reason. because it's a message board and i use it 99% of the time in hyperbolic sports discussions where no one should ever give a fuck about the absurdity of its usage, except precious bitches like you apparently.

the same way billy, jimbo, magnum, and spartan all probably didn't care when they used it in the last month or whatever on the first page of search results returned for it.

Last edited by scott; 02-05-2013 at 05:02 AM.

User Tag List