Boards & Rec
Old 09-04-2011, 02:50 PM   #31
DTJeremy
"Worst Username" winner 2001-2012

I don't know if it's my favorite joke but I've never laughed as hard as I did at this.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

DTJeremy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-04-2011, 03:11 PM   #32
Magnum
Forum Leader

whenever i try to think of what could possibly be the best joke they had ever done i usually end on that

Magnum is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-04-2011, 03:38 PM   #33
box elder
Forum Leader

i know i say this every time it comes up and pretty much nobody agrees with me, but i feel like the decline started in season 7. not that 7 and 8 are straight up bad, mind you, but there were some stinkers and even the good episodes can't touch the series' best

i also think that "jerkass homer" has nothing on "smartass lisa" as far as annoying me and turning me off the show. i know she was always smart, but around season 7 she developed this arrogant air about her that just pisses me off

box elder is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-04-2011, 03:54 PM   #34
whis
yes

this makes me laugh no matter how many times i watch it

whis is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-04-2011, 04:39 PM   #35
kupomog
spring love, come back to me

It's weird with the seasons I disliked coming out on DVD...10 and 11 and such. Watching them now is downright enjoyable compared to when they aired. Maybe it's subconscious comparisons to the newest eps that is doing it, but man every time I check out the new eps (which for a while was each week for a whole year) it was just miserable. Or maybe it's because I had someone like-minded to watch it with that made me far less hard on it.

Nothing makes me happier than to go on Tumblr and check out my Simpsons tags. Tons of gifs and screens from the classic seasons that I love; even some from the newer eps have made me laugh when they were out of context. Just major laughs and happy memories of when The Simpsons were my life in my teens and early childhood.

I still sleep with Simpsons sheets and buy the Fun calendar every year.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

kupomog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-04-2011, 04:42 PM   #36
The Sovereign
Hella wet

I dunno, the scully years were bad, but at least they could be funny. The episodes no are just mind numbingly dull and bland

The Sovereign is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-04-2011, 04:56 PM   #37
DTJeremy

Scully episodes make me want to kill myself. Simply horrible regardless of when they were made. (Then again, I haven't watched any of them on DVD, because I'm not quite that masochistic.)

The more modern stuff just feels bland and tired. Pretty normal for a show around 20 seasons old. It's more just proof that no show should go that long than anything.

Old 09-04-2011, 04:56 PM   #38
steve
Hardcore Boarder

Haha I've got Simpsons sheets too, but I'm not currently using them
I do have a little Simpsons wastebasket though. At one point I had a Simpsons shower curtain too.

I remember when the DVDs first came out is when they stopped showing the older episodes in syndication, and I was so pissed that they were showing all these crappy S10 and up episodes. Thank God for the DVDs and this website for rekindling my interest in the show

edit: and by "this website" I meant NoHomers...

steve is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-04-2011, 04:58 PM   #39
qwertyuio

Well, I'd say the Scully years are bad because they are boring and worthless, the reasons behind being what you all know: poor writing, poor delivery, poor everything. Season 10 is probably the season I got most tired of when I watched the series regularly (more or less one year ago), I caught most of its episodes with a strong apathy, probably because I watched them so many times, but for these cases there are still the classics I enjoy watching again and again. And well, the 11th and 12th are just... I haven't had the opportunity to rewatch many of the Jean episodes, but those from seasons 13, 14, 15 and 16 I liked remain in general more solid. And just to say it again, I like season 20 , although some of its episodes weren't that good in rewatch.

If there's one thing I don't like from the general criticisms to the post-classic Simpsons is how the fact people got tired of Jean is sort of a redeemer for the Scully era. Probably because I don't get that so-called "fun", must say that it's probably because of the dub here (which started its decline almost at the same time than the real one of the show), but I don't find even remotely funny the silliness of its episodes. It's fast paced, sure. Things happen, sure. But that, uh, agility in the end doesn't mean anything, if it's as rushed and messed up as it was in the Scully era. And awfully written.

qwertyuio is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-04-2011, 05:03 PM   #40
DTJeremy

Speaking of Simpsons crap, I feel like every time I haul some things to Goodwill or whatever some other item I was given as a gift gets thrown in the bag. I've narrowed it down a lot, though.

Still drink out of my awesome Simpsons freezer mug all the time. I also have a Homer alarm clock for the top of my dresser/bookshelf but it's been supplanted by a Bender figurine recently.

Old 09-04-2011, 05:10 PM   #41
kupomog

Quote:
Originally Posted by DotheBartman View Post
The more modern stuff just feels bland and tired.
Yes they do but that's sort of my point. In comparison, it's like a different world of quality now. There were quite a few times in s11 where I went "wow I don't remember this being funny." And I hated 11 and on save for one or two eps. Not saying it's a laugh out loud riot or comparable to s3, s4, etc. Just that having been mired in what airs nowadays changes my perspective greatly. It's still hokey and quite bad but I'm able to enjoy it far more without cringing. I can't do that today..it's like I know exactly what kind of dumb joke is coming up and the show does nothing to prove me wrong.

But this is honestly something that has also happened to me in regards to Family Guy as well. When s4 came back I all but dropped the show but getting the DVD (gifted, before someone freaaaaks out) somehow made me appreciate what I once hated. But again...I was probably comparing it to what was airing new on TV.

Old 09-04-2011, 05:14 PM   #42
DTJeremy

Eh, I still think Scully is way worse.

I mean I don't think I've seen an episode in full since 2007 or 2008 but whatever bits I see are generally lame but in an "eh, whatever" sort of way where what I've seen is obviously lame but not really worse than, I dunno, How I Met Your Mother or some other banal, boring sitcom that people like for some reason. I could see how someone could turn it on and find it to be inoffensive, passable background noise while they watch dishes or something. Provided they don't watch it closely or have any memory of when it used to be great.

Whereas whatever bits of Scully I see just make me cringe, usually more than I remembered cringing. They're not just painfully unfunny but incredibly obnoxious and in-your-face. It's like someone on staff saw the Poochie episode and missed the point entirely.

Old 09-04-2011, 05:26 PM   #43
Green_Peaness
Hold onto your dick

The scully years still had george meyer who I've heard was responsible for the voice of the series..probably why those years are still funny. I think he left around season 14 which totally syncs up to when the show felt like some imitation of the simpsons. Thought I'd throw that out there.

Green_Peaness is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-04-2011, 05:28 PM   #44
kupomog

Odd to say the least, obnoxious and in your face is more what it is now than back then, teetering on near-FG levels. I really just can't comprehend what anyone finds forgivable in the newest stuff. And that's just ignoring the entire Ke$ha thing too...stuff like that is already found in the episodes themselves. But I think overall there's just a distinct lack of anything clever or thought-out in today's jokes. Everyone sticks very much to their "type" and never progress outside of their shtick for even a tiny bit. It's just a bunch of pop culture references and guest stars, and then a recycled marriage crisis maybe. I've yet to see an ep that made me feel emotional in any such way, either. It's not a show that pulls me in, it's a show that pushes me away but mostly because it's no longer a show I can grow up with. The jokes sound like the kind of ADD shit I see written on boards like GameFAQs.

I'm sure it is hard to come up with new, good shit after 20 seasons. That's a sign, like you said. I remember when I was balking at Frank Grimes Jr. And that was 9 years ago. Nowadays I cringe at shit like why in the world Ned Flanders would even consider going out with Edna Krabappel ever.

Old 09-04-2011, 06:12 PM   #45
DTJeremy

Quote:
Originally Posted by kupomog View Post
Everyone sticks very much to their "type" and never progress outside of their shtick for even a tiny bit. It's just a bunch of pop culture references and guest stars, and then a recycled marriage crisis maybe.
Conversely this is why I think the Scully ones were worse. The current stuff is pretty boring but it's basically just a tired show going through the motions and protecting/continuing it's "brand" by not doing anything either too ridiculous or too bold/interesting. Whereas the Scully episodes were a mess of gratuitous "shock" jokes and Homer constantly yelling like a maniac. It was designed to grab your attention, but not really in a good way.

But I mean, obviously I don't love either of them. I just think "tired and boring" is a tad better than "thoroughly repulsive and offensive." But I wouldn't waste my time on either of them anymore, when my seasons 1-8 DVDs don't even get that much love these days.

Old 09-04-2011, 07:29 PM   #46
ryanooooo
not amused.

It's funny, up until the last season I actually watched the show regularly, and outside a few (most of them infamously), I can't remember nearly any of it after season 13. Of course I haven't seen these repeatedly like I have for S1-S9, but whenever I catch some random new episode on syndication it just passes through my memory, never sticking. But whenever I stumble upon a Scully ep, it at least makes me laugh at points. It's very crude, LCD humor, but they had the ability to be actually clever and witty back then that doesn't exist now at all. Of course, anyone wanting to argue you that Scully had the worst gratuitous shock jokes, the fact that there was an episode last season that featured all the elderly residents in Springfield taking pills which made their eyes literally pop out of their skulls kinda helps soothe that.

As for the classic seasons, always awesome to watch. Some of these bits can never be beaten:

ryanooooo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-05-2011, 10:20 AM   #47
lovedartsandsimpsons
Boarder

My favorite type of joke on The Simpsons is the understated reaction joke.

Some examples:

(In Black Widower)

Selma - *slaps Sideshow Bob* You tried to kill me. I want a seperation.

(In Realty Bites)

Kirk Van Houten (after having his arm chopped off): Oooow....

lovedartsandsimpsons is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-05-2011, 11:16 AM   #48
benjamin
-

It's harder to buy into the idea that modern episode don't stoop as low as the Scully era now that they're doing things like having the public vote on whether Ned & Edna should get together or promoting American Ido and Glee.

A friend of mine was once joked that they had to stop listening to Ke$ha after that Simpsons episode, but now it is literally at the point where when I hear that someone like Lady Gaga will be on the show I think "Oh I thought she would have had higher standards than that"

I'd say that the writing probably is better today, but they seem to have lost any of the subversive spirit they once had. It seemed like there was still a point of view, a comedic voice that would still sometimes come through under Scully. (Even though it was probably more to do with some of the good writers that were left) So I think that that's what people are responding to when they say they prefer the Scully seasons, there's something less tangible than the writing quality that feels more in-tune with what the show used to be about.

benjamin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-05-2011, 06:01 PM   #49
steve
Hardcore Boarder

Steamed hams

Old 09-05-2011, 06:11 PM   #50
brody
I'm the real Lance

i've decided this is my favorite moment of the show

brody is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-05-2011, 06:20 PM   #51
Oatpay
razor burnz

my biggest problem with watching new episodes nowadays is on the rare event i do decide to watch one, i forget the next day most of what happened because absolutely nothing on that show anymore is memorable in the least. i saw a couple episodes last season and i doubt i'd even be able to tell you which ones i watched if i looked at an episode list, because to me they all just run together

--------

best freeze frame

Last edited by Oatpay; 09-05-2011 at 06:26 PM.
Oatpay is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-05-2011, 06:27 PM   #52
joe
board militant™

Quote:
Originally Posted by pat View Post
my biggest problem with watching new episodes nowadays is on the rare event i do decide to watch one, i forget the next day most of what happened because absolutely nothing on that show anymore is memorable in the least. i saw a couple episodes last season and i doubt i'd even be able to tell you which ones i watched if i looked at an episode list, because to me they all just run together

--------

best freeze frame
Yet, we all for some reason are able to spend day after day on here and facebook quoting episodes from 20 years ago.

http://img.chan4chan.com/img/2010-05-26/20qx9bo.jpg
Heckling a Puppet show.

joe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-05-2011, 06:30 PM   #53
brody
I'm the real Lance

i just go on wikipedia and get all at the episode titles/descriptions

"How Munched is That Birdie in the Window?"
Bart helps nurse an injured pigeon back to health, but when Santa's Little Helper eats the bird, Bart must decide whether to forgive his dog or give him away once and for all.

brody is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-05-2011, 06:32 PM   #54
kupomog

My dogs and cats kill birds like every day.

Old 09-05-2011, 06:32 PM   #55
steve
Hardcore Boarder

Hahaha fuck. I love that freeze frame. I used it as my profile pic on MySpace a hundred years ago.

Old 09-06-2011, 12:45 AM   #56
The Sovereign
Hella wet

the entire episode

Old 09-06-2011, 03:22 AM   #57
brentmoney
board sheriff

yeah, king size homer is golden and it bothers me when people say it's like a scully era episode

brentmoney is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-06-2011, 03:49 AM   #58
Darren.Erg
Anti-Romantic Miserablist

I'm one of the losers that still watches the new episodes. I don't really know why though.

Edit: King Size Homer is average at best.

Darren.Erg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-06-2011, 04:51 AM   #59
The Sovereign
Hella wet

I've watched King Size Homer so much more than any other episode, and it still never fails to make me laugh out loud. Just the animation of morbidly obese Homer makes me laugh

Old 09-06-2011, 05:42 AM   #60
Le Jake
Hardcore Boarder

I've always said the Scully era was when the show was trying to be batshit crazy and it succeeded whereas the Jean era was trying to be classic era witty and it failed.

http://www.nohomers.net/image.php?ty...ine=1305868976

Le Jake is offline   Reply With Quote

User Tag List