Boards & Rec
Old 02-01-2019, 08:06 AM   #3091
CeetjeBeetje
Brick fucking MASTER!

The HD Remaster of REmake on PS4 looks really nice, even though the game is like 15 years old or something. But yeah, that's mainly because it still used the pre-rendered backgrounds.
RE2 looks freaking amazing, even by today's standards with full 3D environments. Really impressive stuff!

I wish some less popular games, that went under the radar, get the same treatment. I kind of have a soft spot for Body Harvest on the N64. I still have it at home and recently booted it up again. The graphics are absolutely horrifying to look at and the controls are very clunky, but I still like playing it. Nostalgia most likely.
It would be brilliant if they did a complete remake of that game. I think that with some good marketing it could become the next big thing, even though nobody knows about the N64 version.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Guns don't kill people. Physics kill people!

CeetjeBeetje is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-01-2019, 05:49 PM   #3092
DAntae
Hardcore Boarder

I think it was to be a launch title for the n64, but nintendo dropped it and I forget who picked up the pieces and finished it. I got a copy in box from my days working at blockbuster. I really wish I would have snagged all the n64 boxes, games or not. I never played it though.

I would like for one of my favorite titles Rygar to be rebuilt. not the arcade version because that was a great game but the lack of story or end goals hurt it. just take the nes version, make it look new and pretty. the levels can be expanded a bit, but everything worked in the game. everything. looking back I think it was my favorite nes title.

DAntae is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-04-2019, 07:47 AM   #3093
CeetjeBeetje
Brick fucking MASTER!

I actually never heard of that game. I guess I was too young to appreciate most of the games on the NES. I was 4 or 5 when my dad brought one home.
The only games I can remember playing back then with my dad are Megaman 2 and Mario Bros 2.

Never really took the time later on to check out more NES games. Without the nostalgia, it's hard to get in some of the best games on that system. At least it was for me. I tried to get into the first Zelda and Metroid, but never managed to finish those.

Old 02-04-2019, 03:12 PM   #3094
DAntae
Hardcore Boarder

you nailed it, nostalgia really is hard to shake. personally I know most of the nes library is pretty bad. the first party titles are the best. add in a few other gems, but the vast majority were just bad. I played Rygar in the arcade and did not discover there was a release for the nes until it had been out for some time. I enjoyed the mechanics and the disc armor was pretty exciting as a weapon. you know swords and guns were the norm, but it brought something different. the nes version added a real story, items to collect and just the difference in the enemies and levels clicked for me.

it had flaws of course, the main one being no save feature...so the system never was turned off. once I finally beat it the first time I let the system chill out for the weekend. one of my favorite things about it were the instruction manual, the details of the map and enemies. this is one of the titles that holds up for me and can still be a challenge. also some of the best music from that age of gaming in my opinion.

Old 02-05-2019, 07:53 AM   #3095
CeetjeBeetje
Brick fucking MASTER!

Yeah, no saving options on a lot of those old games was rough. Either finish it in one go or write down the passwords. Crazy to think about now.
Just never turn off the console until you beat the game is another good idea

Getting a full colour manual and other cool stuff with your game purchase is one of the things I really miss from the days of olde. We took that shit for granted.
One of the first games I bought with my own money was C&C Red Alert. I still have the box and all the goodies that came with it.
Some game companies still treat their customers like that, but in most cases you're expected to cough up at least 20 $/€ to get a keychain or something with your game.

Talking about swords and guns, by the way. I'm playing Nioh again these past days. I finished the game already a while back, but I'm really getting into it again.
So much fun!
Most of the time it's described as Samurai Souls or Ninja Souls, because it borrows some of the mechanics from Dark Souls and Bloodborne mixed with Japanese armor and weapons, but it's so much more than that.

Old 02-05-2019, 08:29 AM   #3096
Magnum
Forum Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAntae View Post
I would like for one of my favorite titles Rygar to be rebuilt. not the arcade version because that was a great game but the lack of story or end goals hurt it. just take the nes version, make it look new and pretty. the levels can be expanded a bit, but everything worked in the game. everything. looking back I think it was my favorite nes title.
What did you think of the PS2 game?

Magnum is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-05-2019, 03:14 PM   #3097
DAntae
Hardcore Boarder

yes I also miss the packaged items with the game. I did enjoy seeing the some titles still give you a detailed instruction manual. really enjoyed the one that came with binding of isaac on the switch.

@Magnum the legendary adventure was a generally fun game, but I want the side scroll and the top down only elements. no need to leave that realm; which tla did have lots of. I just want a hd version of what I had on the nes. The ps2 title did make nice use of the disc armor, but so much of it was muted with drab colors. the few cutscenes were a treat, especially the prayer for the deceased warrior to return. finally getting to see Rygar fall from the sky was a treat to finally see, after only getting the story originally.

Old 02-26-2019, 01:37 PM   #3098
DAntae
Hardcore Boarder

tetris 99 has been truly addictive. I say just 15 minutes and it turns into a couple of hours.

Old 02-26-2019, 11:47 PM   #3099
Jared
6ft. 180

Finally got myself the Switch at Christmas.

If I wasn't so invested into Mario Odyssey at the moment, I'd be playing more Tetris 99. I don't let myself even open that game, otherwise "just one" turns into 10.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

R is among the most menacing of sounds. That's why they call it murder, not muckduck.

Jared is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-27-2019, 10:53 AM   #3100
DAntae
Hardcore Boarder

congrats on the switch. I thoroughly enjoyed odyssey, my only sight issue is many of the 'boss' battles seemed scaled down in comparison to the difficulty of the level leading up. that might just be me though.

I was able to limit myself to 30 minutes of tetris 99 last night. it is like a drug.

Old 02-27-2019, 11:36 AM   #3101
Jared
6ft. 180

Yeah, I would agree with the boss difficulty. It was my son's first 3D Mario game and he breezed right though it and got through the Bowser fight within a few days of getting the game at the end of January. I finally beat Bowser myself last week or so and got to 500 moons last night. It frustrated him at first to watch me play, he said I was too "slow" cause I would not go straight to each new world's boss, but explore every nook and cranny I came across first. Now he's scrambling to catch up to my moon count and try and find stuff that I haven't already.

Initially downloaded Rocket League, for myself, got Splatoon 2 for Coop, Labo for Ellie, and Mario Party for everyone, before getting Odyssey a month ago.

Wishing I would have picked up the Switch earlier, but I did get good use out of my WiiU with Mario Maker, BotW and Splatoon.

Old 02-27-2019, 12:12 PM   #3102
DAntae
Hardcore Boarder

yeah exploration is the backbone of these types of games. collecting and discovery, some people just want the instant satisfaction of victory.

I got my switch launch day, but was not planning to originally. I was going to wait but got caught up in the hype that day. I am really glad because I have gotten use out of it almost every day. I play on breaks, trips, waiting in offices etc.

if you like strategy titles check out mario+rabbids. really well polished and addictive in its own right.

labo kits, how do you/kids like them? I have not really looked into them much.

as for mario maker...get ready for part 2. I hardly designed anything, but playing other players designs was the main draw for me.

mutant league football and the katamari titles are getting a lot of play from me lately. just great pick up and play games, but also deep enough to keep you entertained for long playthroughs as well.

Old 02-27-2019, 12:48 PM   #3103
Jared
6ft. 180

My daughter just turned 7 and loves anything arts and crafts, so Labo was right up her alley. Got just the 1st kit. The instructions are super clear and she had a blast putting the cardboard stuff together, I had to assist just a couple times. My son (almost 10) messed around with the motorcycle game part of the kit for a bit, and they both love the fishing game. She has yet to put the piano part together though.

My son keeps bugging me about Mario+Rabbids, so I might give that a go.

Again, wish I would've gotten it sooner, it's been used pretty much daily since Christmas.

Mario Maker is awesome and can't wait for 2. I designed just one SMB3 level very early, but the meat of the game for me is all the user levels. I follow ryukahr on Youtube, and watch Grand Poo and Carl a bit as well for their MM content.

Old 02-27-2019, 01:52 PM   #3104
kupomog
spring love, come back to me

We have a Labo kit but only set up the fishing one because it's mostly all Amy wants to do. She's into fishing games a lot so this is nice to have. Storing the thing around the room though argh.

And being only 5, I'm pretty impressed at how much she can actually do properly in Mario Odyssey. It really isn't hard at all lol but she loves just running around everywhere looking at everything.

kupomog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-01-2019, 03:57 PM   #3105
DAntae
Hardcore Boarder

@Jared mario+rabbids base game will be 19.99 at best buy starting Sunday. I am not sure if you are going the digital route only. it hits this price point fairly often if you intend to wait awhile.

by:  Jared

User Tag List