Boards & Rec
Go Back   Boards & Rec > B&R > Boards

Old 08-17-2015, 10:04 PM   #1
rubber cat
pineapple shoes

Default who do you think's gonna be the next president?

I have this weird feeling scott walker could pull it off after everybody else implodes

_________________________________________________________________________________________

rubber cat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-17-2015, 11:07 PM   #2
scott
He's a Dick!

hillary.

scott walker won't be able to hide his scuminess once he has to win over more than just a conservative core.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

scott is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-17-2015, 11:22 PM   #3
black mozart
quite stylish

if it's a republican it'll be either jeb or rubio but in all likelihood it'll be hillary.

black mozart is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-17-2015, 11:48 PM   #4
comeau
go to work wasted

i don't just think it'll be hilllary, i pray that it's hillary. i weep for an america that's stupid enough to vote in jeb or rubio, or god forbid trump. this country though...

comeau is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-10-2018, 10:31 PM   #5
comeau
go to work wasted

Quote:
Originally Posted by comeau View Post
i don't just think it'll be hilllary, i pray that it's hillary. i weep for an america that's stupid enough to vote in jeb or rubio, or god forbid trump. this country though...
god I hate the people in this country, how did we do this

Old 08-18-2015, 12:37 AM   #6
aoife
Ichiban kunoichi, yo!

I just hope its not whichever Republican candidate. That's all I care about.

aoife is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-18-2015, 10:12 AM   #7
mr. broom
comes from circumstances

barney sandlers

mr. broom is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-18-2015, 12:26 PM   #8
jake
...with club sauce.

it's probably gonna be hillary.

trump is forcing all of the republican candidates into moving even farther right than they already would be, which is going to fuck them in the general election. walker just came out in favor of ending birthright citizenship to keep up with trump and that alone will destroy him in a general election once he needs hispanic voters and other moderates.

i know it's early but jeb already seems to be imploding. he seems like he has no idea what he's doing and he doesn't seem to be able to just wait everyone out like romney did.

he's barely worth mentioning since he has no chance, but jindel also came out in favor of ending birthright citizenship, which is incredible because that's why he's an american citizen who can run for president.

the only republican i can see having a shot right now is rubio because he's really good at hiding the shittier elements of his policy platform with happy sounding rhetoric in a way no one else in the GOP can, but even then it's a long shot because even if i think he'd do well in a general election, i don't see him winning the primary. same with kasich.

the only solid prediction i'd make now, which i think i just made in the politics thread, is that kasich is gonna be the VP pick. i'd put money on that.

Last edited by jake; 08-18-2015 at 12:36 PM.
jake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-18-2015, 07:02 PM   #9
Channel Surfer
Hardcore Boarder

Quote:
Originally Posted by jake View Post
trump is forcing all of the republican candidates into moving even farther right than they already would be, which is going to fuck them in the general election. walker just came out in favor of ending birthright citizenship to keep up with trump and that alone will destroy him in a general election once he needs hispanic voters and other moderates.

i know it's early but jeb already seems to be imploding. he seems like he has no idea what he's doing and he doesn't seem to be able to just wait everyone out like romney did.
I think you might be getting a little too caught up in primary crazy season, especially in the first paragraph. For all the heightened attention that the Republican primaries got in 2012, Romney's shift to the right on issues like immigration likely did not harm him anymore than if he had kept a safer position on the issue. His loss can be attributed to scandals and difficulties that were more consistent to Romney's larger history and campaign as well as political issues that were more relevant during the general election. That likely won't change this time either. Most of this likely won't matter.

And Hillary, most likely, given current trends. But the Clinton legacy of both signing significant legislation that is antithetical to what I think any Democrat should value (especially the Crime Bill both Clintons are now trying to walk back), combined with their tendency toward corruption and scandal is not very inspiring. The current email issue, Benghazi, nevermind going back to the Bill Clinton 90s and his sexual harassment and sexual assault accusations. Some of these I think are more serious than others - there's a lot of conspiratorial nonsense mixed in to all this, especially with Benghazi which is almost defined by the conspiratorial - but I think some of these issues also depend on a certain amount of Democratic trust to accept them, or at least rationalize them. And I'm not sure how strong her support will be - or should be - if these issues have legs.

Channel Surfer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-18-2015, 02:13 PM   #10
Andy
kraken

yeah it'll probably be Hillary. as much as I'd like Biden to run, he probably wouldn't be able to drum up enough support to surpass Hillary

in your face, website with lame anti-leech script. this image is better

Andy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-18-2015, 02:44 PM   #11
chris

is there any chance of bernie sanders fucking this up a la nader

obvs my ideal candidate but i'm a little concerned so many think he has a chance because of one rally

chris is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-18-2015, 02:56 PM   #12
scott
He's a Dick!

one rally? the bernie support goes pretty far beyond one rally.

and no, bernie is unlikely to be a nader because 1) bernie is grounded in reality, and 2) he would have to throw his name into the general election after losing the primaries, which i don't think he's foolish enough to do.

Old 08-18-2015, 06:05 PM   #13
mr. broom
comes from circumstances

basically. I don't see him getting the nom but hopefully he at least forces hrc out of the firm boring middle and makes her take a more principled stand. I want to see him really threaten her to make sure she addresses more lefty issues

mr. broom is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-18-2015, 07:15 PM   #14
jake
...with club sauce.

i agree romney's larger political history mattered the most, but his lame attempts at shifting to the right in the primary were a huge part of that because it continued the narrative that he was either unprincipled or didn't actually understand the issues in question. obviously there's a million reasons romney lost, but that was definitely a significant factor.

walker talking an anti-birthright citizenship stance is a lot more of an issue than than romney desperately trying to find a balance on a continuum and flying all over the place in the process. this is walker staking out a hardline right wing platform that almost never makes it past the primary because even the establishment and donor base are hesitant to take that position, even if it's only out of strategic concerns. if democrats can (and if walker is the nominee, they absolutely will) make that issue a focal point in the election, walker is done.

there's a reason why republicans typically talk about "border security" instead of stuff like birthright citizenship- it's much easier to constantly drill that while also feigning concern about the lives of immigrants, like the usual "we love immigrants, we just wanna stop the bad guys and protect those that abide by the law". you can't do that with this.

Old 08-18-2015, 07:44 PM   #15
Channel Surfer
Hardcore Boarder

Quote:
Originally Posted by jake View Post
i agree romney's larger political history mattered the most, but his lame attempts at shifting to the right in the primary were a huge part of that because it continued the narrative that he was either unprincipled or didn't actually understand the issues in question. obviously there's a million reasons romney lost, but that was definitely a significant factor.
That's fair (and Walker is a somewhat different case because I think he would likely run with it through the general anyway if he was lucky enough to get there). To put it another way, I think any statements along the lines of "this candidate/party has been forced to move to the left/right in the primary, and therefore they're fucked" almost always strikes me as false because candidates will almost always, without fail, reorient themselves if necessary, and short-term memories tend to prevail when trying to remember these smaller moments. And your statement read more like that to me.

Channel Surfer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-18-2015, 07:58 PM   #16
Oatpay
razor burnz

gonna be hillary but should be

Oatpay is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-20-2015, 09:37 AM   #17
jake
...with club sauce.

all of the conversation in the thread has become irrelevant now that our next president, deez nutz, has entered the race

http://www.thedailybeast.com/article...not-exist.html

Old 08-20-2015, 09:11 PM   #18
jake
...with club sauce.

jeb's campaign forgot to buy this domain name

www.jebbushforpresident.com

Old 08-20-2015, 09:31 PM   #19
Andy
kraken

their twitter bio is "2 High Tech Bears"

hell yeah I'm voting for 'em

Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
by:  aoife, jake

Old 08-25-2015, 06:54 PM   #20
jake
...with club sauce.

trump just had a univision reporter removed from a press conference then proceeded to shit on the guy after he was out of the room.

Old 08-25-2015, 07:24 PM   #21
comeau
go to work wasted

things like that and him going to "war" with fox news/megyn kelly should be a strong indicator to people as to why he wouldn't make a good president. if this is how he deals with a media personality, with a simple lack of civility, how is he going to deal with people like putin and kim jong un?

but of course he's just "speaking his mind"

Old 08-25-2015, 07:53 PM   #22
jake
...with club sauce.

the war with fox news is incredible. fox created trump's audience and constantly fed them so much "the media is full of evil liberals" stuff that it was only a matter of time before someone like trump turned them back on fox.

this is the best/worst election.

Old 08-26-2015, 12:49 AM   #23
arii
oh, heyyy,

best. it's the best one.

today i walked by the area where trump's building his hotel in dc and was downright giddy.

arii is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-26-2015, 01:01 AM   #24
aoife
Ichiban kunoichi, yo!

Hahahhaa Birthday week Arii, you think it's the best because whatever happens won't effect your life in Canadia!

Unless he becomes president, and declares war on Canada, because someone from there, "wasn't very nice to me".

aoife is offline   Reply With Quote
by:  arii

Old 08-26-2015, 10:26 AM   #25
box elder
Forum Leader

arii you're in dc?

hop the train to shady grove and we can get some beers

box elder is offline   Reply With Quote
by:  aoife

Old 08-26-2015, 01:32 PM   #26
arii
oh, heyyy,

Quote:
Originally Posted by box elder View Post
arii you're in dc?

hop the train to shady grove and we can get some beers
I am leaving today, sorry ): I would've had time to hang too if I'd planned this better. oh well, I'll almost certainly be back again sometime soonish

arii is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-26-2015, 12:54 PM   #27
scott
He's a Dick!

it's the worst election.

short term laughs, long term damage to our collective political discourse. just another nail in the coffin of our country ever doing anything to actually fucking fix itself. fuck the attention you turds give him.

Last edited by scott; 08-26-2015 at 01:44 PM.

Old 08-29-2015, 07:34 PM   #28
I am Lugash, Deceased
Gone And Not For Gettin'

Hey @rubber cat , have you been reading Scott Adam's(creator of Jakebert) blog lately? It combines your love of cartoons, Trump, and politics. Scott thinks that Trump is a wizard. A wizard being a master of persuasion. A person who knows how to arrange words to control people akin to hypnotic suggestion. He explains it here and has been predicting that Trump will win the Presidency, by a large margin, due to his powers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Financial Panther View Post
Well, I don't want to be sniffing a bunch of shit straight from a toilet bowl; a large amount is still pretty disgusting. But if I just have some of the smell or a litlle bit of it on my finger, I can take a deep whiff and get aroused by the scent. It always smells good to me in those instances, but not when there is a larger quantity of shit around. I don't what it is about the smell that makes me feel like that, though.
I am Lugash, Deceased is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-30-2015, 07:44 PM   #29
rubber cat
pineapple shoes

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am Lugash, Deceased View Post
Hey @rubber cat , have you been reading Scott Adam's(creator of Jakebert) blog lately? It combines your love of cartoons, Trump, and politics. Scott thinks that Trump is a wizard. A wizard being a master of persuasion. A person who knows how to arrange words to control people akin to hypnotic suggestion. He explains it here and has been predicting that Trump will win the Presidency, by a large margin, due to his powers.
no I don't like that guy

rubber cat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-29-2015, 11:14 PM   #30
Magnum
Forum Leader

the conspiracy theory that trump is a democratic/clinton operative trying to fracture the gop is not the wildest conspiracy i've ever heard

Magnum is offline   Reply With Quote

User Tag List