Boards & Rec
Old 12-10-2016, 01:38 PM   #3001
lionelhutz123
Hardcore Boarder

I'm so excited after The Last of Us: Part II announcement, even though it's so early and with delays I'm predicting it will be a 2019 release.

The first game is perfect on its own but I was never one of those people who thought it should stay as a standalone game. I find it to be so much more bold and daring for Naughty Dog to just keep driving forward. As long as you have a sincere story to tell (which I don't think Neil Druckmann would continue it if there wasn't), then I wouldn't put it passed the team to deliver high quality in a second installment. Man, the reveal trailer was so good.

lionelhutz123 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-13-2016, 01:28 PM   #3002
DAntae
Hardcore Boarder

^ yes it was. as soon as I saw the firefly logo I just remembered how much that the first title brought to the table. it was not the most original story (although it did have its twists), but they crafted it so well. everything was paced perfectly. the gameplay again was nothing new, but refined and everything was seamless.

what do you think will be the angle going forward? is ellie out to kill the fireflies. is joel just a vision she is seeing. did she kill the people in the house, or are they her new group...and has just lost them. I mean it can really go anywhere. it is neat to know that you will be playing as ellie for the vast majority of the game.

DAntae is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-13-2016, 02:44 PM   #3003
lionelhutz123
Hardcore Boarder

"I'm going to find.. and kill...every. last. one of them."

There's something so personal about Ellie's line here. At first I would have said Joel lied about how Marlene died (and she's chasing a lie concocted by Joel when that hate she has is really meant for him) but I don't know if this would be enough to drive Ellie and too much time has passed for her to just now be making this her mission. Whatever happened to get her to this point is deeper.

She's used to people close to her dying so I think the only person that could spark her rage (and to be a great springboard to her backstory) is she found out something horrible that happened to her mom, who we were fed little subtext about with that letter in the Winter section of the first game. It would also explain the "The Last of Us: American Daughters" poster you could find in Uncharted 4's epilogue which features what might be Ellie's mom pregnant with a gas mask. Maybe the mother will be a playable character like Joel's daughter?

I also didn't want to rule out that something might have physically happened to Ellie herself, but I don't think Joel would have responded to something like that with such an understated "Whatcha doing kiddo? You really gonna go through with this?". Joel is a "the past is the past" type of guy and I feel like that's exactly the subtext to his dialogue there. There's no sense of urgency in his voice that you might get if she was just recently attacked.

Also Joel is alive. Him emerging from the lighted threshold was just a stylized shot and they need to keep that chemistry/tension between both characters going anyway.

Old 12-13-2016, 04:36 PM   #3004
DAntae
Hardcore Boarder

I tend to think joel is alive as well, but I mean no one knows for sure. I do wonder if the body shown in the bathroom or on the floor may be someone close to ellie. perhaps the guitar and song help to bring her down and to think rationally as opposed to just going off impulse.

neat idea about her mother and the uncharted reference to it. I am just geeked that these characters are returning. that is the part that really stuck with me after numerous playthroughs. I want these two to endure and survive through all of it...together. I anticipate that joel will not survive this time.

as for her being angry with joel. I thought that would be the obvious direction/tone of a follow up if we ever got one. then I remembered it was referenced in some of the items I found on various replays-- there was something that alluded to other people like ellie who were immune to the virus. so that takes the burden off of ellie feeling as if she may have failed the human race. they experimented before and were unable to make a cure. this justifies everything joel did in my eyes, even if he was unaware of all the relevant facts and acted solely on his love for ellie.

Old 01-12-2017, 12:09 PM   #3005
DAntae
Hardcore Boarder

pretty excited. upgrading my ps4 hdd after work. I suspect 2tb will be enough for me. I know you can get that cover (extender?) device and go up to 4tb...but that thing is ugly.

I got ffxv and no mans sky as xmas gifts. I know kupo was digging final fantasy, everyone tells me the combat plays like kingdom hearts. true? that makes me pretty excited.

Old 01-12-2017, 01:47 PM   #3006
kupomog
spring love, come back to me

I guess it does play like KH, but it feels a lot less like button mashing for your life because if you just mash, you will get killed. I've never really had much "need" for strategy in any KH game, let's say. Block and roll weren't used nearly as often as the game wanted me to use it. You need to be good at defending in FFXV or your HP will just drain like nothing. But yeah it's real time strikes and commands as you push the buttons, not like FFXII where you are free to do what you want in movement, but you still only attack when it's "your turn."

You have a Wait Mode you can turn on similar to the ATB of the old games meshed with the Active Mode you mostly used in KH. I don't use it so I'm not sure how it works, but don't be afraid to turn that on if you need it to plan your battle as it happens. Magic must be collected from energy deposits (fire, ice, lightning) and then "created" in Elemancy menu and then equipped. Do this a lot because magic is plentiful and fun to use. You have 4 equipment slots and can use any of the weapon types available.

You get your status boosts through meals now rather than spells and items. Some items do boost your stats temporarily but more often than not you will want to be eating meals before a big adventure. Enemies have an "area" they are hostile in and you can leave the area at any point to instantly end a battle. The enemies will stay there until you are ready to engage or you "zone" out to another far away area.

Don't fight at night early on because Daemons (stronger, scarier beasts) come out only at night to wreck your shit if you're travelling. They have a nasty habit of parking themselves right over an item I want to pick up while exploring, too.

When you start the game, definitely do the tutorial. Some websites tell you don't bother but it is very, very helpful in teaching you the nuances of combat early on so you can implement them immediately rather than trial and error yourself into death. You can always revisit the tutorial from the options menu at any time but best to just start with it right off the bat.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

kupomog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-13-2017, 12:24 PM   #3007
DAntae
Hardcore Boarder

thanks for tips. It will still be a few weeks before I will be able to play it, but most of what you described sounds like a nice move for the series.

the ps4 hdd upgrade was super easy. I set it up to download all my digital titles while I am at work today. I think when that is done, along with my saves for physical games I will still have over 2/3 of free space.

trying to decide if I will put in a preorder for the switch today. the presentation was not exciting, the lack of launch titles. loz looks amazing, but I might just pick it up on the wiiu...and wait for a switch bundle down the line. I got a bunch of giftcards so it would not cost anything out of pocket...but still. I was so ready to be geeked about the system as a day one purchase.

the new mario title looked amazing. breath of the wild looked epic. everything else seemed wii/wiiu like.

Old 01-13-2017, 01:32 PM   #3008
kupomog

I'm not crazy about Nintendo's lack of ability to produce a product high in demand, but we have a $50 gift card so maybe, we'll see about pre-ordering while we can. The games themselves look neat enough but like nothing about the actual system itself has me losing my shit. Zelda looks really nice and Mario looks neat if not really ODD in that setting and that's as much as I can say. I don't want to pay for online but at least they will offer the free VC games. If I get this Day One then it is certainly gonna be just for that Zelda game, honestly.

Old 01-13-2017, 04:02 PM   #3009
DAntae
Hardcore Boarder

I will be waiting for a bundle and more games now. it looks like the free game you get with the membership is only good for the month. I figured it would be like ps+ and as long as the service is active you could play it. this one really leaves me baffled. then after said month you can buy it if you want. I guess that is cool for stuff I never played before...but c'mon ninty.

Old 01-13-2017, 04:10 PM   #3010
kupomog

lmfao that sounds fucking stupid if true

Old 01-23-2017, 04:25 PM   #3011
DAntae
Hardcore Boarder

had a little downtime last week, the flu with stomach bug hit me hard.

I got to play a few of my shorter titles (mostly telltale). I enjoyed the michonne walking dead episodes. it had a lot more depressing vibe and story. not enough focus on some of the side characters; but that is my only complaint.

jumped into telltale batman. really, really, really well done. I have only completed 2 episodes but it is just a blast to play/watch.

played a little of this war of mine. it was a ps+ monthly title and I heard great things about it. I have not played enough to know one way or the other. the atmosphere is very much a downer.

Old 02-05-2017, 08:10 AM   #3012
goat batman

So excited for the lack of updates to tf2

goat batman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-21-2017, 08:44 PM   #3013
lionelhutz123
Hardcore Boarder

So I'm looking forward to getting Horizon Zero Dawn on Feb. 28. I was already prepared to get it since it's PS4's next big ip (from Geurilla Games, a developer I've always respected), but the recent non-spoiler reviews that have been breaking since yesterday have been extremely positive, which is exactly what I was hoping for.

Critics are really wowed by this game. Not just for it being pretty and having an intriguing high concept premise that we've seen in trailers, but apparently it's breaking new ground for the open world rpg genre (which this will be my first one ever playing/owning so I can't speak to that opinion) The story is supposedly unexpectedly brilliant to the point where I'm hearing a lot of anecdotes of it rivaling or being the closest to The Last of Us in terms of how well-done it is.

I usually follow these guys when it comes to video game stuff (former ign employees) and if anyone's interested I thought I'd share what I think is a nice, articulate, and of course non-spoilery discussion on the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7izKT_XH_R8&t=361s

Any PS4 owners looking to pick this up?

Old 02-22-2017, 12:19 PM   #3014
DAntae
Hardcore Boarder

I am planning to get it, not sure if it will be near launch or not. I was originally worried that it was going to be big on style and that would be it. just like you- the reviews have removed those doubts. it seems to be universally liked by all review sources that I have seen. I measure most overall game experiences to the last of us. if it reaches anywhere close to that level of imagination and emotion, then I will be more than thrilled with it.

the real reason I am holding out is I still have ffxv to play, and I never pass up a zelda game. breath of the wild on wiiu will be in the rotation before I can move on to something else.

Old 02-22-2017, 01:47 PM   #3015
kupomog

It'll likely be a game we nab in the future. Everything I am hearing and seeing is thumbs up so I'm excited. I'm still playing FFXV though and after that I have Mirror's Edge Catalyst plus I downloaded FFVII and FFX/X-2 HD during the 30th anniversary sale so I plan on playing those for trophies, too.

I just got to a huge turning point in FFXV and now I'm depressed. Everything up to this point, even the drama, seemed like us just having a surprisingly good, fun time and now Shit Got Real and it's just...a huge downer. I actually haven't played in 2 days because of that. Now that isn't to say this story is particularly amazing. I feel like it was SUPPOSED to be, but they butchered it. Part of the reason I'm so down is because it feels like I've worked this hard for nothing storywise so I'm trying to reconcile that before plowing through the rest of the game. I feel like they had all their good eggs in this game basket and where like "well actually lets take these important eggs out...and throw them into an anime and a movie to make more money" and that's frustrating because it really shows in the game that the story feels like it's missing a lot of beats and backstory you would otherwise simply GET in the game and I can already feel it despite being several chapters away from the ending. I did watch the anime which was nice but I mean next time just find ways to put all that in the game as it progresses so we learn COOL things at the appropriate times.

On the plus side, I guess, is that an update came out increasing the level cap, photo storage, AND gave us the ability to listen to music while on the chocobos so that's neat.

Old 02-22-2017, 03:37 PM   #3016
DAntae
Hardcore Boarder

I really want to start ffxv but I just can not seem to motivate myself just yet. I want to experience, but then I worry that the let down will happen. I am not the most busy person in the world, but I do not have too much free time to waste on a game I may end up not enjoying.

on the plus side I got ffVII during the flash sale as well. I can play the old way, or use the built in cheats. it is the height of the franchise for me, so there was no way I could avoid it.

I need more psn friends, add me guys... sideshowDAN

Old 02-22-2017, 03:52 PM   #3017
kupomog

Yeah I don't have a great deal of free time either especially having to raise a child. I basically have 1 free hour a night to play or watch something before I need to get some rest for work. It doesn't leave me with a whole ton of motivation to start new games vs. just chipping away at something I'm already working on.

FFXV has been almost nothing but fun in most aspects except the actual story. That should be game-killer when it comes to an RPG but somehow it just isn't right now. I mean maybe the story has worse places to go from here but it would be an outright lie for me to say I haven't enjoyed the game so far. I am disappointed in the story but otherwise really like the experience I am having.

I suppose I could say I had a similar experience with FFVIII which I still go back and forth on as far as how much I enjoyed it.

Old 02-22-2017, 04:17 PM   #3018
DAntae
Hardcore Boarder

it is in the next group of titles I plan to rotate. I do get the occasional free afternoon every so often to really invest in a few short titles.

the last long game I played was fallout and that kept me occupied for close to a year. I want to chip away at the backlog...but at this point, I would have to make that my full time job.

when I do get excited about a game (like fallout 4) I do tend to use my free time to play. just not as many titles that really get me over the top excited anymore.

Old 03-01-2017, 02:28 AM   #3019
lionelhutz123
Hardcore Boarder

After a lot of running around and apparently having to free space from my PS4 in order to download/install, I have now eagerly started Horizon. I have only had time to play a good hour and a half so far, but man, I'm excited to continue. All I'll say is I've never been so invested in a video game character like this. Even with the great reviews this game is getting, I was not expecting my heart to just sink for these characters and story. And in a game about ROBOT DINOSAURS!

Oh and I keep forgetting to add you Dante. I'll get on it. My psn is hutz123 if anyone is interested in being friends.

Old 03-01-2017, 07:40 AM   #3020
CeetjeBeetje
Brick fucking MASTER!

Yeah, I'll pick it up at some point. But I also want to get Nioh, and I'm still busy with loads of other games. So I'll hold off for a bit.
But I've seen reviews saying that the story is a bit of a let-down, but I guess I'll decide for myself when I play it.
Pretty sweet that this little Dutch company brings out something so loved by many people all over the world Good for them.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Guns don't kill people. Physics kill people!

CeetjeBeetje is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-01-2017, 10:25 AM   #3021
Jared
6ft. 180

So I pre-ordered a game for the first time, (Zelda for Wii U) but won't be able to play until Sunday night.

Also, anyone on Mario Maker? Shoot me some good levels or favorites you've played.

R is among the most menacing of sounds. That's why they call it murder, not muckduck.

Jared is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-01-2017, 12:34 PM   #3022
DAntae
Hardcore Boarder

hutz, glad to hear horizon is living up to what the reviews have been saying. if a story/character can draw you in early on it only enhances the experience. I am trying to avoid any footage aside from the little everyone has seen. when I do play it I want it to be a total surprise for me.
@Jared - good call on LOZ. I am getting it Friday for WiiU as well, I plan to wait some time before I pick up a switch. as for mario maker, I played it like crazy for a few weeks and really have not gone back to it. no fault of the game, just lack of time to get to everything.

Old 03-01-2017, 02:48 PM   #3023
kupomog

Will be picking up the Switch, Zelda, plus a Pro Controller on Friday. Gave up on caring about the NES Classic for Amy since Nintendo is stupid about it so we're just gonna have the Switch be a family system assuming they have VC ready in a timely manner which they probably won't. I just wanted her to have her own cute lil system The adults I know who bought the Classic don't even fucking use it already but don't wanna sell it, either.

Old 03-02-2017, 04:17 PM   #3024
DAntae
Hardcore Boarder

^ that is cool. I can't even imagine having a system like the switch when I was her age. it truly is stunning how far the tech has come in such a short amount of time. I am sure she will love it.

the wife is trying to convince me to pick one up after midnight or head to a store early tomorrow. she has no interest in gaming but she knows I do not miss nintendo home console launches. I plan to get one in a few months if stock is available.

the main gripe for me aside from the lack of launch titles which is a weak argument on my part, is the lack of everything else. no eshop on day one, and no date when to expect it. no supported apps/browser or any date on when to expect them. I know there are tons of other devices that can do those things...but just to leave them out right now just turns me off. sneaked a peek at some broadcasts of zelda on switch and it does look gorgeous, even better than what has been show during the lead up to launch.

I have a drawer full of giftcards, so if I see it in the wild when I am out and the impulse to buy hits I might go for it. if it takes a few months that is cool too. sorry to talk aimlessly guys.

Old 03-02-2017, 04:31 PM   #3025
kupomog

Yeah it basically has no games but Nintendo already gave up on Wii U so there's not much point in me waiting on this purchase. I have a PS4 for the meat, 360 to go back to if necessary. Switch will just be there because there's not much to do but move forward now. It's frustrating as fuck because I liked my Wii U but eh. I'm fine with just playing Zelda on the Switch while dipping into my PS4/backlog during Switch down time and letting Amy or Joshua do whatever with other games. I know there are a few Joshua is interested in trying out for Switch even if multi-plat.

On the horizon for me some day tho is the purple galaxy 3DS. Still got my eyes on one and more than enough games sitting around to play.

Old 03-03-2017, 12:25 PM   #3026
DAntae
Hardcore Boarder

totally agree on all of that. I do have almost every wiiu exclusive/first party title. I also filled a large external hdd with eshop goodies. they never really tied the gamepad in enough to really make it unique, but it does have some truly awesome games. bayonetta 2 still blows my mind.

I decided to change my strategy a bit. I bought zelda and pro controller for the switch. I will just wait for the switch to be more readily available and have a bit larger library. my neighbor got zelda for the wiu but is a marine and will be deployed...so he told me to break it in. so I get to experience it now and then again later. so in about a week I get to try it out.

I know you love the purple galaxy 3ds from a prior mention, its ok to me...but isn't that the one everybody was hating on because of the look?

Old 03-03-2017, 02:42 PM   #3027
kupomog

Haven't really heard anything like that.

Old 03-03-2017, 05:12 PM   #3028
DAntae
Hardcore Boarder

^ maybe I am imagining it. I thought people went nuts over the cosmic star one, hating on the look. again it may not have been as widespread as I was thinking.

ended up going to Savannah for a meeting, and stopped by a best buy just for giggles. they had 7 left of the gray console. so I used giftcards and bought it. I feel like such a push over, but considering they started the day with over 100 I felt pretty fortunate. Everywhere else near me (60 miles) any direction were sold out. So yay I guess.

edit.
I love how each of my posts about the switch distance me more and more from a day one purchase, but then I cave. it comes off like an addict needing a fix. which I guess is true.

Last edited by DAntae; 03-03-2017 at 05:44 PM.

Old 03-03-2017, 06:01 PM   #3029
kupomog

lol you tried your best to control yourself but gift cards truly have such power...

Old 03-03-2017, 10:24 PM   #3030
DAntae
Hardcore Boarder

whoa. the setup was painless, and using it is so intuitive. the tablet has a nice feel, and the joycons are nicer than expected, just linked my eshop accounts. I am setsuna is tempting but I got it cheaper on ps4.

zelda. holy hell. words can not express just how much fun I had with the intro and 30 minutes of gameplay. this seems so far removed from wii/wiiu. truly feels like this one could be a big time success.small physical footprint so it fits anywhere. super stoked I had no willpower.

will post for posterity. friend code SW-1061-4415-8438

User Tag List