Boards & Rec
Old 04-11-2019, 05:13 PM   #931
DAntae
Hardcore Boarder

haha. man I forgot Enid was up there, that sums up what you said. no real connection to these characters. once I saw the big names all together I knew it was going to be the second and third tier guys. I still had hope that Ezekiel would make his way just for some comic continuity.

DAntae is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-12-2019, 08:41 AM   #932
box elder
Forum Leader

at first i thought enid was rosita. not just because i was expecting her to be there, but the heads weren't very distinctive. in fact, i wonder if they were initially planning to have those flashes (like someone back at the kingdom like "hey, where's henry?") occur simultaneously with the reveals but then saw the footage and were like, shit no one is going to be able to tell who these are supposed to even be

box elder is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-12-2019, 11:51 AM   #933
DAntae
Hardcore Boarder

yeah I did a rewind on a couple of the earlier characters. they also had the fakeout with Rosita. I did wonder how they decided Bret Butler was worthy of going, but not the husband who does not do much of anything either. the only one that truly surprised me was Tara since she had taken a new direction leading hilltop. I guess Enid was a surprise as well, I just assumed she was going to be part of the future.

I do love some of the fan theories that down the line Judith will lead a rescue for Rick at Commonwealth, etc. hopefully they wrap up the whisperers arc quickly, it has already lost most of the impact because the events leading to it are so different from the comic. all the emotion of Carl being at risk are gone. the reveal being so many throw away characters, or characters who do not exist in the comic also made for a super weak reveal.

its almost like the show exists now for people to discuss how its so much less than the comic version. I try not to be one of those people who always claim the source material is superior, but in this case it becomes more and more glaring each time they stray from it.

aside from Judith, and to an extent Negan...but Aaron is becoming my favorite character on the show.

Old 06-18-2019, 01:56 PM   #934
DAntae
Hardcore Boarder

@box elder

sean or anyone else, do you watch fear? it chugged along and then season 3 was really good, bordering on great. you know good story, interesting characters and just some real conflict that even existed before the zombie apocalypse. it just had an uneasy vibe for me as a viewer, but you really got the motivations for most of the characters.

enter season 4. the Morgan crossover. while it was not the worst thing, because Lenny James is a fine actor, but the tone of the series changed. it became all standard TWD formula. there was a good shock moment/death, and after that moment the show lost all momentum season 3 created. it was so much time jumping during the season that you lost any investment in the characters.

I just watched first episode of season 5 the other day. it now feels like TWD 2. any change of pace, or just a different feel style wise is gone. since I think it has a far superior cast it can somehow turn around, but the stories just seem to be rehashes of what has been seen with new names for the 'baddies'.

Old 06-20-2019, 01:11 PM   #935
box elder
Forum Leader

i think i stopped after season 2. just never grabbed me at all. which is why i strongly suspect that any remaining interest in the main show is entirely comics-related

Old 06-20-2019, 05:41 PM   #936
DAntae
Hardcore Boarder

I almost passed, but I heard some good buzz on season 3. you should at least watch that and then I would say its cool to stop. season 3 would have been a good end point actually. it had a tone of finality, but would have left a few ends open for the viewer to decide for themselves.

it was almost like a standalone. it had no ties to the first 2 seasons.

Old 07-06-2019, 03:08 PM   #937
box elder
Forum Leader

i guess kirkman surprise ended the comic series?

i don't want it to be spoiled so i'm not reading any of the articles about it, but apparently the last issue is 193? and book 16 (coming out in september) is planned to collect #s 181-192. will book 16 just tack on 193 as well, or will i have to awkwardly own 16 books of similar size and structure and then a single comic for the finale?

Old 07-06-2019, 03:16 PM   #938
box elder
Forum Leader

although, at least this means the show will never "surpass" the comics (no doubt it will continue past whatever story the end of the comic is, but it will officially no longer be an adaptation at that point)

Old 07-09-2019, 04:58 PM   #939
DAntae
Hardcore Boarder

yeah I saw that the comic is a wrap. I am a few issues behind and am trying my best to avoid everything related to it, I have enjoyed the read over the years and do not want to have it short changed.

the show can now reinvent itself after it passes the comic arc in whatever sense they are still following it. when they veer off the source material in the past it usually fails badly. I expect that to continue.

Old 07-10-2019, 07:44 AM   #940
box elder
Forum Leader

Yeah, I think I’ve said this before but I suspect one of the reasons I still watch the show is just curiosity of how they’ll adapt comic storylines and even then it sometimes felt like a chore to watch. So once that’s gone I’m not sure it will hold me enough to bother. We’ll see I guess

Right now I’m 100% just invested in how the comics end, and hoping this was an artistic decision to end it. That and still trying to figure out if book 16 will wrap it up or not. I’ll be very annoyed if I can’t just have the entire series in book form!

Old 07-10-2019, 04:23 PM   #941
DAntae
Hardcore Boarder

that is the book I am waiting on as well. I think the final stand alone release was to have the equivalent of 3 issues. I do hope it was a well thought out decision and not a knee jerk reaction to wanting to spend more time in other avenues of the universe.

The main show is still a watch, but for vastly different reasons than it used to be. fear has such crazy highs and lows. last season and this to an extent just feel like more of the same. at this point might as well just combine them together in totality.

I am intrigued for the 'rick movies'. the little bit I have learned about the helicopter people from ftwd has been pretty interesting, and very vague.

Old 07-11-2019, 01:58 PM   #942
box elder
Forum Leader

oh, those people are in the other show? like i said i gave up on that one a while ago. i think part of my disappointment was that they hyped it as "we're gonna spend more time on the very beginnings of the outbreak" but then by, like, episode 3 it was just walking dead: West Coast

i probably would have kept watching tbh, but when i moved a couple years ago i forgot to set it up to tivo and then didn't bother catching back up. same thing happened with that show the strain

Old 07-11-2019, 02:45 PM   #943
DAntae
Hardcore Boarder

haha yeah I did skip season 2 and 3 originally when they aired. season 1 was just so boring. a coworker spoke highly of season 3, so I used the amc app to catch up. he was right, it gained a lot of momentum...but now it seems to have lost most of it.

The addition of Morgan and Dwight are not really the issue, actually most of the characters are pretty interesting and have good chemistry. it is still the story telling/plots they put them in which is the issue. as soon as gimple became more involved, the show devolved.

as for the helicopter crew, yeah there have been a few shots. even an episode that gives a bit of a glimpse into who they are, but still very secretive. you do get to see one interact with a major Fear actor for an entire episode. while I am not big on the standalone episodes...that was the best one of this season.

I still think it is a much better show comparing between the two.

Old 07-12-2019, 11:03 AM   #944
box elder
Forum Leader

maybe i'll pick it back up at some point. anyway when you said "I think the final stand alone release was to have the equivalent of 3 issues" does this mean it won't be included in book 16 or are you just speculating? like i said, i've been collecting the books so i will be a little salty if they don't cover everything and i end up with some awkward issue that doesn't match anything else on the shelf

Old 07-12-2019, 01:14 PM   #945
DAntae
Hardcore Boarder

I remember reading that the final stand alone issue was going to have a select number of pages which equaled what 3 monthly installments would be. I can not confirm since I am avoiding until I catch up.

I would think they would include it with the last book. it does not release until sometime in September, which gives them plenty of time to make sure it is added.

sounds like you got a bit of an ocd collection issue as well. haha I am the same way, book spines of a series have to match. same with movies and games.

also, it is kind of sad that this is now the most active thread on the board. walking dead is more than appropriate.

Old 07-15-2019, 12:24 PM   #946
box elder
Forum Leader

yeah i mean i don't need them to all be identical or anything, but if it's 16 similarly structured books and then one random issue that's not even in the same ballpark i will be disappointed for sure. definitely not enough to go back and buy all new versions just to make it look "clean," but still

User Tag List