Boards & Rec
Go Back   Boards & Rec > B&R > Boards

Old 08-24-2019, 08:39 PM   #1
lionelhutz123
Hardcore Boarder

Default El Camino: A Breaking Bad Movie

teaser trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZKqMVPlDg8

Apparently the film has ended production and the media never caught on about it. El Camino: A Breaking Bad Movie will release on Netflix on October 11th, 2019 and again on AMC at a later date.

NHC is down so I figured I'd give B&R some action. Your thoughts? Here's my initial concerns I've posted on my blog a while back. I'm pretty much going to use this as my template for my own thoughts on the film when it comes out.

https://letswatchseries.blog/2018/12...movie-succeed/

Overall, I'm going to choose to trust Vince Gilligan. Anticipation is always fun. Man, what a year this has been though. The Deadwood Movie already proved to be masterfully handled, so I can only hope this and The Sopranos prequel can follow suit.

lionelhutz123 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-25-2019, 10:07 AM   #2
box elder
Forum Leader

i'm starting to think The Walter White Problem is the reason breaking bad fell apart, so as long as he's not a part of this it could be good. if they attempt to shoehorn in flashbacks or, even worse, retcon him to be alive, though, it will likely be trash

box elder is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-25-2019, 11:07 AM   #3
lionelhutz123
Hardcore Boarder

That's interesting.

Do you mean that because of the growing popularity of the show towards the end that Walter White might have got more big, grandiose, power moments written in as a way to appease the fist-pumping "I am the one who knocks" crowd? And in turn, this detracted from the show's main goal and sense of integrity? Like the story of his graduation to evil could have played out just as effectively without making most of his scenes some Joker-esque, bomb-dropping moment (Say my name, Tread lightly, I'm in the empire business, etc.).

I still feel there was a fair balance where his ego and the male revenge fantasy nonsense was kept in check. On the other hand, I never thought of how the show could have played out if he was still an increasing piece of shit towards the end but without the razzmatazz or showiness.

If that's what you mean by the Walter White problem?

Old 08-25-2019, 06:36 PM   #4
box elder
Forum Leader

pretty much. basically there was a part of the audience that missed the point and was into the "badass walt" aspect and the show was too chickenshit to not try to appease them. the ending, to me, was an attempt to make literally everyone in the audience happy which should never be the goal of a creative endeavor. i mean, obviously you want people to enjoy your work, but it shouldn't be shaped with that in mind. otherwise you end up with a robot machine gun

Old 08-27-2019, 01:49 PM   #5
DAntae
Hardcore Boarder

I always took it as part of the ride of his character. I mean personally I always rooted for Walt. sure when he began to drink his own koolaid it was a bit of a shock, but it was truly who he always was (or at least thats how I always took it).

as for the end, I was hoping he would just die from the cancer while on the run.

that said it feels way too soon to return to this material. better call saul has filled the niche for me and I find it a far more interesting story.

DAntae is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-28-2019, 02:40 PM   #6
box elder
Forum Leader

yeah, him unceremoniously dying of cancer while estranged from his family would have been a good fitting ending. but it would have been considered lame by the "hell yeah walt kick some ass!" fans. so instead he somehow travels across the country in one stolen car, figures out a way to still get the money to his kids (while sticking it to his former partners [whose, it turns out, only crime was that the woman didn't want to fuck him]), nonsensically get to see his wife and baby again as the most wanted man in the country (and essentially getting redemption/forgiveness from skylar for ruining their lives), then go out in a blaze of glory killing off cartoonish villains while freeing jesse and ending his strain of meth, as he wanted. and just in case we think him dying is any tiny semblance of comeuppance, the cancer was back and he was going to die anyway.

basically, there were three aspects of walt's life: his pre-meth professional life (as exemplified by grey matter), his family, and his post-meth professional life -- and he, for lack of a better term, "won" in all three of those. hell, short of hank dying (whom he hated at the start of the show anyway), the whole thing worked out pretty good for him in the end. can't really say he wouldn't have done all that much differently, all things considered. there's a reason there was a fan theory that the finale was all in walt's imagination; because they tried to make it so perfect and neat that it was utterly ridiculous and muddled any overarching "point" the show may have otherwise made. it's now just a dumb action romp pretty much. which, fine, i enjoy those. but it absolutely doesn't belong anywhere near the same conversation as some of the top tier television dramas of the last 2 decades

Old 08-28-2019, 02:47 PM   #7
box elder
Forum Leader

and don't get me wrong, i don't think the ending required "comeuppance" for walt. they could have gone the whole other direction and had the cancer stay in remission and had him embrace the drug kingpin thing. that could have been interesting too. but they wanted to have it both ways. he "wins" but he still dies. he admits he was a bad person, but actually he's not that bad. etc etc. that's what i mean when i said it feels like they tailored it to try as hard as they could to not turn off any fans. they tried to have it any and all ways, and that just doesn't work for a satisfying ending to me. but who knows lots of people lapped it up, so maybe i'm the one who's wrong

Old 08-28-2019, 03:34 PM   #8
DAntae
Hardcore Boarder

I agree with all that. this is what happens when a great premise is just not fully realized. usually for me, a story should have a defined end well before it gets to that point. it was bumbled here clearly.

I can say the first 3 seasons of the show were as good as pretty much anything I have seen. not The Wire level for me, that may be my gold standard. I also enjoy Sopranos but not nearly as much as some. anyhow when Walt becomes the caricature of a kingpin, they could have gone a few different ways. make it known that he knew it was all a show. as a viewer I would have dug that, if all he was saying and doing was for show at that point.

I had almost forgotten how poorly things wrapped up. this thread has just refreshed those last few episodes. sigh

Old 08-28-2019, 04:16 PM   #9
box elder
Forum Leader

haha wasn't trying to sour other people on it lol

Old 08-31-2019, 04:24 PM   #10
lionelhutz123
Hardcore Boarder

@box elder

A while back, I rewatched the show again as I followed Alan Sepinwall's book Breaking Bad: The Complete Critical Companion and remember finding this excerpt interesting:

"The repellent nature of Uncle Jack and company seems an appropriate place for the story to turn in the closing hours. Some fans and critics have interpreted the Nazis as an intentional corrective to the adoration that white male antihero Walt has gotten for his various "badass" deeds over the years. To me, they feel more like a repudiation of Walt's own beliefs in his life of crime and how it should work. Walt has always fancied himself above the likes of Krazy-8 and Tuco, imagining he's a mogul like Gus: someone who will use his mind and his force of will to build a fortune without having to lower himself into the muck that consumes everyone else in the drug trade.
Time and again, events have proven this belief wrong, as he does and says things that the pre-cancer Walter White wouldn't have been able to fathom. That the neo-Nazis are the last foes he has to conquer- not a "worthy" adversary like Gus or Mike, or anyone else Walt wouldn't feel disgusted to share a room with under less urgent circumstances - feels like the final indignity from Walt's point of view, and the final reminder that Walt is not better than other criminals. He's just more proud."

While I don't think this excuses the cartoonishness of the neo-nazis as villains being an overall critique, I feel like this is an accurate explanation for why they heavily leaned towards cartoonish rather than something more dynamic. The idea that these are the adversaries Walt finds himself keeping company with (not just scummy white supremacists, but hollow caricatures) at the height of his reign after "winning" against Gus, is something I can appreciate as a fan who wanted a delusional Walt to go out in more of a whimper like yourself. As you said though, Gilligan seemed to like to eat his cake and have it too, so I'm sure the fist-pumpin' fans found it awesome.

Last edited by lionelhutz123; 08-31-2019 at 07:27 PM.

Old 09-02-2019, 11:04 AM   #11
box elder
Forum Leader

but at the same time, having them be literal nazis makes walt clearly the "good" guy between the two, so that defeats the purpose if it was truly intended to diminish him. especially when he beats them handily -- if he'd gone up against a moron nazi gang and lost, then maybe it could be read that way.

but to be honest i don't agree with that reading anyway. seems like an excuse for hollow characters in a show that people desperately want to be better than it really was

Old 09-02-2019, 12:25 PM   #12
lionelhutz123
Hardcore Boarder

Hollow characters aside, if you could erase "Felina" from the show, would you have preferred "Ozymandias" or "Granite State" as the final episode?

Old 09-02-2019, 06:35 PM   #13
box elder
Forum Leader

Ozymandias would have been a good ending. I would still probably consider season 5 a letdown in general, but it would have been good enough that I probably wouldn’t bother arguing about it and would consider the show as a whole a success

Old 09-03-2019, 09:41 AM   #14
box elder
Forum Leader

i mean, granite state could work too but would need some retooling imo. get rid of the jesse/nazi stuff entirely, for one. and then obviously lose the grey matter part at the end and just end it on his call with walt jr

Old 09-03-2019, 12:53 PM   #15
Sniper Squirrel
Keep em comin, Gleep Glop

I did a full rewatch a few years ago and season five you could tell they kind of ran out of things to do with Jesse. I agree how powerful Walt Jr's fuck you was in Granite State. I never thought Felina was terrible, but it felt pretty scrambled together, which I thought a lot of moments were in the last few episodes and they kind of dug themselves into a hole they could never really dig out of

_________________________________________________________________________________________

I'm just like Krusty!
I'm Krusty, who are you? by NoHomers.net

Backdoor Sluts 9 makes Crotch Capers 3 look like Naughty Nurses 2

Sniper Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-03-2019, 07:25 PM   #16
lionelhutz123
Hardcore Boarder

Vince Gilligan went on record in many interviews that he wished the machine gun was never presented in the season 5 premiere because it killed a lot of potential directions they could have taken the show as they broke the story in the writers room.

It's disappointing how Jesse was knocked from co-lead to another one of Walter White's victims to serve Walt's story for the finale. It's one of the reasons why I think El Camino could be something beneficial. Even though I liked the open-endedness of his escape, I think Jesse has a story worth exploring for a movie beyond tying loose-ends, milking the franchise, etc.

Old 09-04-2019, 12:06 PM   #17
DAntae
Hardcore Boarder

Keep posting guys. Currently away for hurricane evacuation, so it is neat to actually read through.

As long as the film does not try to rewrite or change what is offical lore, it can be a benefit.

Personally it just seems way too soon to revisit, even if there is no Walt presence. Just my opinion though.

Old 09-04-2019, 02:15 PM   #18
box elder
Forum Leader

good luck with the hurricane shit. you're still in SC right? when is it supposed to hit there?

anyway there's a level of saturation where people will begin to revolt, for sure. BCS has a more niche audience i think, which honestly seems to have benefited it artistically (it doesn't need big "blow up gus" water cooler moments, for instance). but i'm not sure anyone wants a Breaking Bad Extended Universe

Old 09-04-2019, 07:40 PM   #19
lionelhutz123
Hardcore Boarder

I hope everything works out okay! Glad you're evacuating rather than taking a chance.

And I dunno, it's been 6 years since the finale and I'm usually in the camp that TV show universe's should just be let be. However, BCS has proven to be a great companion piece and if they are to make a single movie with Jesse, the actors aren't getting any younger.

I wouldn't want a Walking Dead situation where it's set to become a launch pad for more movies and spinoffs. Unless it's post-BB Howard Hamlin leaving New Mexico to pursue a dream his father never let him have.

Old 09-04-2019, 08:31 PM   #20
Sniper Squirrel
Keep em comin, Gleep Glop

Maybe Jesse will end up in Omaha working for gene at the Cinnabon

Sniper Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-09-2019, 09:28 AM   #21
box elder
Forum Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionelhutz123 View Post
BCS has proven to be a great companion piece and if they are to make a single movie with Jesse, the actors aren't getting any younger.
i think BCS is better than BB, so i don't disagree in theory. however, saul benefits from not being really tied to the central story of BB (and honestly, the stuff that does tie in more directly tends to be my least favorite stuff -- not a huge fan of gus even being on the show, for instance). but jesse was like the co-main character of breaking bad. continuing his story is a continuation of the show itself, so this feels like it's essentially just another in the recent trend of show revivals

Old 09-09-2019, 08:06 PM   #22
lionelhutz123
Hardcore Boarder

That's the thing. If we can consider Jesse the co-main character of the show, then how does his character being strung along by Gus or Walt or Mike or Hank sit with you as the latter half of his character's journey? I mean, Season 4 until the end treated Jesse like a key pawn on a chess board in service to Walt's story (especially the final 8), and sure, it was an appropriate note to end on as he breaks free from that in the final episode, but don't you think there might be something more profound to explore with his character, beyond him serving as a catalyst, now that Walt's story is over? Would that not warrant a continuation? I agree with you in how that feels though and share your concerns.

I certainly hope this film surprises me in that regard.

Last edited by lionelhutz123; 09-09-2019 at 08:21 PM.

Old 09-10-2019, 02:50 PM   #23
DAntae
Hardcore Boarder

I just do not want a Jesse atonement arc. I do consider him one of the most sympathetic figures on the entire show, if not the most. my main reservation is, its just not needed. not solely because I feel it is too soon, but just because it is not needed in general, ya know? I do tend to keep an open mind more now, so I will watch of course...just not too geeked over it.

I also agree BCS is the better show. as each season ends I find myself really wishing it had longer seasons. Jimmy, is just such a fascinating character. the events, memories and people who shape his life are just so much more interesting.

also, thanks for the hurricane support. we lucked out once again and while it did strengthen again before nearing our coast...it turned out a bit more than projected. tons of rain, and some substantial wind for a few hours. however the day after was sunny and aside from a few branches down you could not tell anything different.

Old 09-10-2019, 08:45 PM   #24
lionelhutz123
Hardcore Boarder

If this movie was not announced, I definitely wouldn't think twice about there ever being or it needing a continuation. That's a good point.

I'm not finding myself really losing sleep in anticipation either like I probably will for Saul season 5. I do like the universe of both shows though (and I like Saul better too) so I can only hope to like what what we're given.

Old 09-11-2019, 12:21 PM   #25
DAntae
Hardcore Boarder

I do apologize if I am raining on anyone's parade in regard to the show. not my intention to sour the enthusiasm someone may have for this. so again my bad if I have done so.

like I said, I am going to watch. who knows, when more info or footage is known I may see my interest peaked significantly.

I binged a few episodes of Saul while we were out of town last week (it is one of the few shows I can watch over and over). I guess even with Breaking Bad I never took Odenkirk seriously as a great actor. I loved/adored Mr. Show so much. Saul was more to bring humor and lighten the mood on BB. So to see a guy give such a great performance for a character who I never thought would have this much depth is still a bit jarring to me as a viewer.

Old 09-23-2019, 12:12 AM   #26
lionelhutz123
Hardcore Boarder

Watched the Emmys tonight. No Saul winners once again (Rhea Seehorn still being snubbed from a nomination) , but Fleabag swept nearly every comedy category which I'm happy about. Superb show.

Also, another trailer for El Camino during the commercials:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xw7Aii1Fyq4

This is also supposed to be premiering in select theaters (one being a town over from me) so I'm trying to keep on the lookout for tickets. If any of you are interested you can search your area for special theaters here on https://www.elcaminobreakingbadmovie.com/tickets/

Old 09-23-2019, 09:51 AM   #27
box elder
Forum Leader

the fact that game of thrones won again proves that the emmys are a complete joke. the only possible reason to award that show at this point is stubbornness and not wanting to look like idiots for throwing awards at it all this time (which were also undeserved, of course, but not quite so egregiously)

Old 09-23-2019, 10:20 AM   #28
lionelhutz123
Hardcore Boarder

Yeah GoT winning best drama was bad. I like to use the Emmys as a way to see what great show I might be missing out on so when I see GoT being handed the trophy for the sake of it over possible sleeper hits, it's discouraging.

Also that gimmicky 'choose-your-own-adventure' Black Mirror movie winning over Deadwood or any of the other noms was laughable.

Old 09-23-2019, 03:15 PM   #29
DAntae
Hardcore Boarder

I was ok with Dinklage winning, I mean he never phoned it in...even with shit to work with. yeah the show winning however was laughable and predictable.

as for the new trailer, I liked that much more than the other one. had a tone of dread which I dug. so yeah fingers crossed.

I also like to see who gets nominated to find some shows I may have overlooked or not heard about. not many of them appealed to me but may give one or two a go for a few episodes and see.

best part of the night that I watched was seeing Last Week Tonight continue to roll. I love that show so damn much. John Oliver unlike any of the comedic news guys/gals (aside from Stewart) does not eventually run his course with me. in my opinion he is always consistently funny, but bridges some topics I just never thought to really educate myself on.

Old Yesterday, 09:47 AM   #30
box elder
Forum Leader

might as well post this here too:

i thought it was ok and i actually thought the extended todd flashback was good because it added necessary context and also gave us more insight into his life during that period, which we barely got in the show. but i will say, i don't think the mike and walt flashbacks added anything other than "look it's mike and walt!" (and the walt one seemed to be sort of like "look how good of a guy walt was at first" which is dumb) but they were mercifully short at least. and this is maybe more of a nitpick, but i think jesse's known associates would have been the first place the cops looked, no? it also took them nearly a day to think to turn on the LoJack on the car? and of course it happens as someone is literally scanning it for precisely that? also would someone like todd even have that on his car? you'd think if you're a major drug dealer who sometimes drives dead bodies out to the desert, having something a mere warrant away from allowing the cops to track your every movement wouldn't be at the top of your shopping list

but yeah, apart from all that i did think it was enjoyable, if not really necessary. i agree it was a smart choice to just make it feel like an episode of the show for the most part and not go for too over-the-top for its own sake sequences. on that note, i could have done without the shootout at the welders shop or whatever, as that did feel like a bit of "we just need more action here"

oh and it also had the lazy "character has PTSD for like 12 hours and then is fine" trope that a lot of stuff like this falls into. and i get you can't really do something like that justice in a 2 hour movie, but at least coming back to it once or twice would have felt realer. particularly since the end of the movie had him essentially trapped in a small space on the drive up to alaska and would have been the perfect time to at least nod to it being difficult and triggering for him to some extent. maybe they didn't want to undercut the "happy" ending

User Tag List