Boards & Rec
Old 01-09-2018, 12:37 PM   #1051
DAntae
Hardcore Boarder

I can sort of see myself pulling for the vikings. zimmer is a guy I root for. just burnt out on this season. it had zero to do with the skins, I expected them to be 8-8 at best. just not a compelling season for me as a viewer. I still watched each week, but man I spaced out a bunch during the games.

DAntae is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-09-2018, 01:06 PM   #1052
box elder
Forum Leader

i feel you. to be honest the CTE thing is likely going to make me abandon the sport entirely sooner than later, but i've been attempting to ignore the inevitable for now

box elder is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-09-2018, 02:36 PM   #1053
DAntae
Hardcore Boarder

yeah that impacts me as well. I know injury is part of the risk for certain, but the protocols are great in theory...but they do not follow them. how many guys go back and come out of that tent a few seconds later? it is just more of a show for the public and a lesser extent the players who are more outspoken about it.

this entire year has just been a downer for obvious reasons. I was so geeked about va tech football each week though. I can not get enough of what Fuente is building there. hopefully he is one of those guys who wants to hang his hat there for a couple of decades.

Old 01-10-2018, 06:20 AM   #1054
box elder
Forum Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAntae View Post
this entire year has just been a downer for obvious reasons
Honestly not sure what you mean here and am sort of scared to ask. do you mean the entire year as a whole, or specifically with regards to the nfl?

Last edited by box elder; 01-10-2018 at 08:38 AM.

Old 01-10-2018, 05:12 PM   #1055
DAntae
Hardcore Boarder

haha. did not mean to make it sound that alarming. just the climate of so much right now socially. I am usually a happy go lucky person, but even this past year the amount of hatred spewed by so many just took some of the basic enjoyment I got out of some things.

as for the nfl, the season just seemed like one disaster after another each week. the injuries to guys who I tend to enjoy watching also played a part. nothing I can point to as the one major factor. just seemed like a meh year for the quality of play on the field.

Old 01-13-2018, 08:29 AM   #1056
box elder
Forum Leader

yeah the nfl is horribly mismanaged. they blacklisted kaep and still ended up getting boycotted by racist mouthbreathers

Old 01-16-2018, 09:52 PM   #1057
wallet inspector
Hardcore Boarder

bortles, keenum and foles being 3 of the remaining qbs is pretty wild

wallet inspector is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-17-2018, 03:33 PM   #1058
DAntae
Hardcore Boarder

that was actually a pretty fun divisional round.

wallet, do not forget bortles as of 2 seasons ago was a qb who was on the rise. the offense took a big step back last year in regards to the passing game (which has continued this season). he has a ton of physical talent. I am not sure what happened to him.

as for keenum and foles. prior to this postseason both have shown quality play. foles (in his 2nd year I think_ had a crazy td/int ratio, before a slightly down season the following year. keenum I thought would forever be a backup. he showed he could win a game here or there. I never expected him to make so many plays while moving the pocket. he is great at making something happen on the fly.

as for the saints loss. I felt terribly for the kid who could have made the tackle. freak things happen, but he was a pretty solid rookie starter most of the season. hopefully he can move past it and not let it ruin his career.

Old 01-22-2018, 02:17 AM   #1059
mikel
Has the mark of Cain

Soooooooooo rooting for the asteroid again this superbowl

anyone else?

_________________________________________________________________________________________

mikel is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-22-2018, 01:55 PM   #1060
DAntae
Hardcore Boarder

the two teams I wanted to win both lost yesterday.

so now I guess it is time to root for the eagles. pats will win though. meh

Old 01-31-2018, 12:23 PM   #1061
DAntae
Hardcore Boarder

what in the name of joe gibbs is going on?

I like alex smith. I think he is a fine qb. probably 9th or 10th best starter in the league. I just do not get the long term commitment. agreeing to an additional 3 years after this as part of the deal. I mean sure he may be able to play those 4 years at a solid level but does it make the team any better long or short term.

it is a wash for me. alex smith is much better rolling the pocket and can make some plays with his legs. much better improv qb. cousins I feel is better at the intermediate to long game. so now we got a guy who does not take many shots down the field.

perpetually going to be in the 8-8 area, a win or two more or less each season for the next few seasons. I guess they will look to draft a qb late in the draft or look to next years class.

the third round pick given up is ok, since they will get the compensatory pick back when cousins signs. I was bummed to see fuller moved. in his second season you could see vastly better play from him. he has big time upside, and comes from a family of guys who have all been solid pros. secondary was thin before this move. cravens may or may not be returning, but who knows if he stays at safety or gets moved back to linebacker.

so in the end they save some money, but are still paying out a big chunk after next season. maybe this is a one season rental and they move on. why do I care this much?

Old 01-31-2018, 02:08 PM   #1062
box elder
Forum Leader

I feel awful for whatever dumb team makes cousins the highest paid player in the league

Old 01-31-2018, 03:43 PM   #1063
DAntae
Hardcore Boarder

I like the guy a lot. he has said/done everything you can considering the situation he was in. 3 straight 4000 yard seasons is not too shabby for a guy who was pegged to hold a clipboard.

I think he is in the same range of talent as alex smith, so while he should command a solid contract...in no way will he deserve what he is going to get. by all predictions it will be the richest contract in league history. he just hit the market at the right time. entering his prime, etc.

Denver should be looking hard at him. perhaps elway can talk him down on the deal enough to make it work. that team is really only a qb away from being a 12 win squad. the oline will need a little retooling but they have some good skill players and still one of the best defenses in the league.

I was hopeful the skins would have admitted they did him wrong and truly apologized. then they could work something out that both sides felt good about. I know he cleaned up on the franchise tag deals, but he was treated poorly by ownership/management for most of his tenure there.

oh well heres to alex. dilly dilly

Old 01-31-2018, 09:43 PM   #1064
comeau
go to work wasted

I just don't want Denver to get Cousins because I hate them and want them to suffer through more mediocre QB play for a while longer.

comeau is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-04-2018, 11:33 PM   #1065
wallet inspector
Hardcore Boarder

Old 02-05-2018, 05:07 PM   #1066
DAntae
Hardcore Boarder

^ ditto.

I am happy to be wrong about expecting the pats to win. the scoring was great, but man both teams played soft off the receivers almost the entire game. the cushion given to the receivers was bonkers. eh well. soon as the strip fumble happened, you know brady knew it was over. best part of the game by far.

Old 02-05-2018, 07:39 PM   #1067
wallet inspector
Hardcore Boarder

That foles td was so gutsy and well executed. What happens with foles now?

Old 02-06-2018, 01:19 PM   #1068
DAntae
Hardcore Boarder

that is the big question. I know many think trade him since his value is high. he is signed for one more season. I would keep him. I think Wentz is awesome. he would have been the mvp barring his injury. even if his rehab goes perfectly and he is ready for week 1, it is great to have a guy behind him that you know; won a super bowl. worst case Wentz misses the first quarter or so of the season. then you have the guy who can keep you in play until Wentz is ready to play.

no real downside to keep Foles on the squad. the eagles have depth on both sides of the ball. Pederson knew how to push all the right buttons. So hold onto Foles now, maybe deal him during the season once Wentz shows he is healthy, and make sure to have another guy groomed to at least manage the offense if injury strikes again.

whew.

Old 02-06-2018, 02:08 PM   #1069
box elder
Forum Leader

you gotta trade him, right? if there's interest in him being a starter (which there certainly will be) then he'll leave to take a starter job as soon as he can anyway. you have to get something out of it. and anyway, even if wentz isn't healthy, there's no guarantee foles doesn't regress and greatly reduce interest in him. if wentz is your guy going forward (which he should be) trade foles while he's a hot commodity

Old 02-06-2018, 06:58 PM   #1070
DAntae
Hardcore Boarder

I can't argue against that...but i will to an extent. I would trade during the season once wentz returns and shows he is capable of this year's level of play.

You can still get a 2nd or 3rd for him then. Even now best you will get is a 2nd. No one is giving up a 1st for him. It's not so much about him regressing @sean. The offense was changed when he became the starter. A lot of what worked for him when he had earlier success in Philly. Wentz ran a much more intricate passing attack and made a ton of changes at the line.

I'm in favor of trading foles..Just not now. Eagles have depth all over. Just address the few free agents they have.

Old 02-07-2018, 02:53 AM   #1071
Drew
Banned

It was painful to see the Patriots lose. Even more painful for GRONK to lose and then have his house robbed.

The only real football news is THE XFL BABY!!

Drew is offline   Reply With Quote

User Tag List