Boards & Rec
Old 11-22-2012, 08:58 PM   #271
benjamin
-

I listened again.

The one with Adam Scott is great because it's so all over the place, they can't even do the intro without getting completely sidetracked. Not much of the episode is actually about Phish. Harris cowboy mouth story is incredible, and I love Adam Scott saying he donates organs to churches and that his tastes are so provincial he prefers rock'n roll that doesn't leave his own zip code. It's like a mini Farts and Procreation episode.

Being a non-phish fan I did actually really like Harry Hood, and the other pretty one they played towards the end of the episode, which I don't think they ever actually said the title of.

Episode 4 is the main even though. I'd always remembered "french dude" but I'd totally forgotten about "Foxy the Lawyer" and the dude that left his girlfriend alone on new years to be at the show. It really works out to be more than the sum of it's parts, as well as being hilarious, it ends up being quite a fascinating insight into a subculture. And Scott's whole attitude towards the whole thing of trying to positive and saying yes to things you'd normally say no to is kind of a good way to live your life.

I had that ethos in mind, when I was last at a festival and actually had some great experiences because of it.

benjamin is offline   Reply With Quote
by:  BILLY, cole

Old 11-23-2012, 10:47 AM   #272
mr. broom
comes from circumstances

Quote:
Originally Posted by cole View Post
i look forward to new cbb episodes more than anything else in media right now. when the new mountgain goats album leaked, i still listened to cbb first. that's kind of ridiculous. dated reference, but i don't think i ever mentioned it before.
still more stoked about the tompkast, but that's mostly because he updates more seldom. cbb definitely brings more laughs

mr. broom is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-26-2012, 01:48 PM   #273
benjamin
-

So you can vote your top 10 comedy bang bang episodes for the year now

http://blog.earwolf.com/post/36579477815

I went with

135 - Scavenge and the Wisemen - Erinn Hayes, Paul F. Tompkins, Dan Telfer

136 2011 Holiday Spectacular - James Adomian, Jon Daly, Brett Gelman, Nick Kroll, & More

143 - Grammy Spectacular - Weird Al Yankovic, Todd Glass, Amy Phillips

148 - Wipeout! - Jason Mantzoukas, Andy Daly

154 - Finger Guns - Lennon Parham, Jessica St. Clair

159 - Apicklelypse - Alison Brie, Jason Mantzoukas, Bob Odenkirk

166 - Farts and Procreation 2 - Adam Scott, Harris Wittels, Chelsea Peretti

167 - New No-Nos - Jessica St. Clair, Paul Rust, Jerrod Carmichael

169 - Immortal Mustache - Jay Chandrasekhar, Paul F. Tompkins

183 - Return to Suicide House - Brett Gelman, Jon Daly, Allan Mcleod, James Adomian

Pretty brutal cutting some out. Sometimes I just went with one's that had some of my favorite moments over episodes that I thought might have been better as a whole. Although it looks like you can vote as many times as you want, so maybe I'll vote for some of the one's that got cut.

Old 11-26-2012, 02:55 PM   #274
BILLY
BOARD MESSIAH COMPLEX

so, my mom and i listened to episodes 1, 2, and 4 of analyze phish on the drive from jackson to houston yesterday. i skipped episode 3 because she was real sick of hearing two guys she knew nothing about discussing a band she doesn't like, but i talked her into listening to the last episode because i knew it would be funny. but i just listened to episode 3, which might have been a better order because scott was like "some CRAZY PEOPLE online are suggesting i do ecstasy for the first time as a 41 year old man." pretty funny given he wound up doing that plus so much more.

anyway, i really enjoyed it. very funny series. hope they do more. i knew next to nothing about phish going into it and thought it was weird how i agreed with almost everything scott said, save some of his complaints about the lyrics.

best moment of the whole series was probably harris' meltdown at the end of episode 4, when he realized how stupid he and all his friends sounded. holy lol.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

trill

BILLY is offline   Reply With Quote
by:  cole

Old 11-27-2012, 01:39 AM   #275
cole
start the clock

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjamin View Post
Pretty brutal cutting some out. Sometimes I just went with one's that had some of my favorite moments over episodes that I thought might have been better as a whole.
same here. i tried to rank my favorite ten in order, but this wasn't exactly a well thought out order:

166. farts and procreation 2 - adam scott, harris wittels, chelsea peretti
150. time bobby - bobby moynihan, paul f tompkins
154. finger guns - lennon parham, jessica st. clair
135. scavenge and the wiremen - erinn hayes, paul f tompkins, dan telfer
176. out of bleeps - amy poehler, jason mantzoukas, james adman
136. 2011 holiday special - james adomian, jon daly, brett gelman, nick kroll, & more
180. friends without words - gillian jacobs, paul f tompkins, lauren lapps
156. anniversary party! - st. vincent, galifianakis, paul f tompkins, harris wittels, & more
159. apicklelypse - allison brie, jason mantzoukas, bob odenkirk
183. return to suicide house - brett gellman, jon daly, allen mcleod, james adomian

i am pretty confident that i love time bobby more than anyone. moynihan was hysterical and i could listen to alw host a weekly podcast. it also has one of the best downtown abbey callbacks. i love every time scott references it.

this week's episode was very meh. wompler might be my favorite character on the show, but she was dragged down by an episode focussed far more on a q&a with apatow than bits. i prefer bits.

cole is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-27-2012, 10:07 AM   #276
Kamerica
HOW MUCH WERE MY SHARES DILUT

did you guys really like farts and pro 2 or is that just good will from the first one? i thought it was a really boring episode

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Kamerica is offline   Reply With Quote
by:  jordan

Old 11-27-2012, 10:14 AM   #277
benjamin
-

It's nothing compared to the first one, but there's still some amazing bits.

Old 11-27-2012, 10:21 AM   #278
jordan
Hi Doggie

i could not get through it

jordan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-27-2012, 10:23 AM   #279
jake
...with club sauce.

Farts and procreation 2 had peretti and aukerman's song, which is one of my favorite moments of the year. Plus, have you ever gone on like a really long walk to the forest or beach or edge of the city depending on where you live?

I'm having trouble deciding between the marissa wompler episode with rob corddry and the one with lennon parham. Both are amazing.

jake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-27-2012, 12:07 PM   #280
cole
start the clock

i had no idea so many people disliked farts and procreation 2. naming it the top episode of the year was the easiest part of the list for me. i've listened to it far more than any other episode this year, i thought jack sjunior and bryan pieces were almost as good as in their first appearance, and as @Jakebert mentioned: that song. i want that to be my ringtone (first time i've used that term in five years).

i had the same debate about wompler too. i probably should have just included both, because i definitely like the cordrry episode more than the last three on my list.

Old 11-27-2012, 02:38 PM   #281
jake
...with club sauce.

Speaking of chelsea peretti songs, her wolf blizter song from this week's "call chelsea" is so good.

Old 11-30-2012, 11:48 AM   #282
jake
...with club sauce.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
Well while Nocturnal Emotions With Har Mar Superstar doesn't exclusively have interviews with musicians, the people he does interview from that world are pretty damn interesting (Flea, Adam Green, MNDR, Father John Misty).

There's also Shortwave With Grant-Lee Phillips which can be a little dry, but still an interesting listen if you're a fan of the interview subject.
So to follow up on this conversation, I've been listening to the low times podcast all week and have been really enjoying it, and would say it's exactly what I was looking for. I had completely forgotten it existed until scharpling tweeted about it earlier this week. There's a really great interview with guy piccioto that I just listened too this morning and I'm currently listening to a double episode with corin tucker and the vaselines.

So yeah, you guys should check it out. Make sure tp losten to the roundtable on the worst lyrics ever with scharpling and ted leo.

Old 11-30-2012, 09:13 PM   #283
Aaron
ouroboros my own lexicon

Location: blasting across the alkali flats in a jet-powered, monkey-navigated...

Damn, these are some great guests. Janet Weiss, Greg Cartwright, Jens Lekman...thanks for the heads up.

Aaron is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-03-2012, 04:29 PM   #284
jake
...with club sauce.

WHITE FLOWER...is one of the ingredients on the box.

Welp I just busted up laughing out loud at my desk way louder than ever before during would you rather. I can't believe they never though of roleplaying the scenerio before but man that was great.

"Come on chris, get in on the fun"

Last edited by jake; 12-03-2012 at 04:42 PM.

Old 12-03-2012, 09:56 PM   #285
benjamin
-

An Obamacare reference! And duelling Jimmy Stewarts quoting Borat and Austin Powers while Werner Herzog is confused. What more could a person want?

Old 12-03-2012, 11:10 PM   #286
jake
...with club sauce.

"that was confusing and unpleasant"
"for you and the audience"

Old 12-05-2012, 02:15 PM   #287
cole
start the clock

what's the last thing he reaches for in that movie?

the credits. he pulls them down like a window shade, and at the bottom of the screen you just see his thumb and forefinger

i want that to be true!

... i loved how much that cracked scott up. great episode.

Old 12-13-2012, 04:32 PM   #288
benjamin
-

Interview with Scott on his top 3 comedy bang bang episodes http://www.avclub.com/articles/scott...-bang,89838/1/

by:  Aaron, BILLY, cole

Old 12-13-2012, 06:14 PM   #289
Aaron
ouroboros my own lexicon

Location: blasting across the alkali flats in a jet-powered, monkey-navigated...

Oh awesome. I tried to plug that new feature from AVClub a few weeks ago, it's pretty great.

Aaron is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-13-2012, 09:39 PM   #290
jake
...with club sauce.

i love the idea of harris walking into the studio and blatantly saying "i have an idea: i'm going to do a character that's not funny or interesting"

by:  Kamerica

Old 12-13-2012, 10:49 PM   #291
Raoul Dukie
beatles this beatles that

^Haha, I was thinking the same thing while I was reading that. I loved the character knowing he was supposed to be a bad character but knowing he was actively trying to avoid saying anything funny or interesting makes the whole bit even funnier. That whole article is really interesting.

Raoul Dukie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-13-2012, 10:58 PM   #292
jake
...with club sauce.

definitely. i loved scott discussing his "interview" style- that he likes to sidetrack guests by purposely asking the worst questions, etc. obviously we all know what he does, but it's kind of nice to see the thought processes behind it.

it was also nice to be reminded of "CHIP WILL YOU SHUT THE FUCK UP?!?!" which was one of my favorite bits that i had completely forgotten.

Old 12-14-2012, 02:12 AM   #293
cole
start the clock

it makes me so happy that time bobby is one of his three favorite episodes

and i liked that he referenced letterman twice, even comparing having pft on the show to a murray or martin appearance on letterman. great interview.

also looking forward to listening to the earwolf presents cbb nativity pageant. even though i never saw their live ucb shows, it still bums me out that they're ending.

Old 12-17-2012, 09:56 PM   #294
jake
...with club sauce.

i haven't had a chance to listened yet, but the christmas cbb is up. plus there's a earwolf present's christmas special hosted by marissa wompler, with special guests GUTTERBALLS (as played by manzukas) and MISS LISTLER.

and someone on hpn pointed this out, but aukerman's wiki page:

Quote:
Scott David Aukerman, better known as The Choctaw,

by:  cole, mr. broom

Old 12-18-2012, 12:29 AM   #295
cole
start the clock

wasn't aware of the womp up the jams podcast. the fact that gutterballs is played by jason mantzoukas makes my day. how dare you misspell his name, @Jakebert (... i had to google it). i really want to listen to this now, but i'm going to save it for my miserable drive tomorrow ... along with the new cbb and the nativity special. fuck you, drive time. i'm glad there will be traffic.

Old 12-18-2012, 12:32 AM   #296
cole
start the clock

god damn do i wish this show was filmed. i want to be in that room so bad

by:  Aaron

Old 12-19-2012, 06:39 AM   #297
benjamin
-

I hope they do more, there's a lot more they could explore with Wompler. They've got quite a cast of characters now, and there's potential for more. Even though it's still mostly improvised conversations, there's a lot they could do with the idea of a podcast with an ongoing narrative.

Old 12-19-2012, 07:17 AM   #298
BILLY
BOARD MESSIAH COMPLEX

scott aukerman is quickly becoming my favorite dude in showbiz. earwolf is putting out so much incredible stuff right now... the most recent cbb is hilarious. i cannot wait to hear the best of 2012 episodes.

BILLY is offline   Reply With Quote
by:  cole

Old 12-19-2012, 07:46 AM   #299
jake
...with club sauce.

I knew it was gonna be a great episode as soon as I heard "aand Iiiiiii'm harris"

by:  BILLY

Old 12-19-2012, 08:25 AM   #300
cole
start the clock

the new no no's were hilarious. i haven't heard paul rust do that bit before.

bill cosby bukowski remains one of the most ridiculous conceptions of a character ever and i love it.

the neil young character was maybe the one weakness, but that even paid off when besser got confused and thought he was still bjork.

User Tag List