Boards & Rec
Go Back   Boards & Rec > B&R > Boards

Old 05-30-2018, 08:17 PM   #31
brody
I'm the real Lance

hell yeah

i listened to three jazz albums in a row today - bitches brew (davis)/pithecanthropus erectus (mingus) /mosaic (blakey). had the fewest expectations for mosaic but i liked it the most. though i had heard bitches brew before

also saw solo. it was good and nothing more

_________________________________________________________________________________________

brody is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-31-2018, 06:47 AM   #32
box elder
Forum Leader

to clarify, it's not that i hate vegetables it's more that they just don't satisfy me, if that makes sense? like, whatever drives the craving for food, i can eat a whole shitload of veggies and that doesn't make it go away. unless it's a salad with dressing, in which case you're basically just pouring fat and/or sugar all over it anyway

box elder is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-31-2018, 12:37 PM   #33
brody
I'm the real Lance

i almost never eat salads. find them a chore to get through

not sure if you limit your carb intake but i find mixing them with pasta goes really well. or making a stir-fry over rice

Old 05-31-2018, 02:29 PM   #34
DAntae
Hardcore Boarder

I usually have 2-3 big salads a week. I love pretty much every kind of green and veggie. we do not go overboard on any dressing and have been making our own for awhile. I do dig on the Columbia restaurant oil dressing from time to time. It is low on sugar and fats, but does have a higher carb count than you would expect.

I have gotten into the veggie pasta and buying tofu in noodle form. it costs a little more for the tofu elbow mac noodles and spaghetti noodles, but well worth it. then sneak as many veggies as you can in with the pasta sauce, or whatever you want.

again who knows how I will feel about this in a month or two, but for now it is really hitting the spot.

DAntae is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-31-2018, 06:14 PM   #35
kupomog
spring love, come back to me

The only salad I eat is chicken Caesar salad and it sure ain't for my health *dumps Caesar dressing and cheese over it*

Veggies fill me up depending on preparation but I get filled up pretty quickly anyway with my weirdo stomach issues. Like a plate of roasted veggies, sure, I'm good. A platter of raw veggies and some dip, ehhhh.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

kupomog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-31-2018, 07:43 PM   #36
brody
I'm the real Lance

would love to find some good vegan caesar salad. found a recipe for a dressing with hummus as a base which sounds possibly okay but also possibly terrible

Old 06-01-2018, 01:35 AM   #37
arii
oh, heyyy,

italian dressing is the best dressing tho.

hummus makes a great veggie dip, too, for other alternatives.

my parents raised me on vegetables - I had them every day for lunch and every night for dinner - so I'll happily eat them whenever. I actually have a harder time with fruit because I never ate nearly as much as that and just never really acquired the taste. veggies 4 lyfe.

arii is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-01-2018, 02:38 PM   #38
kupomog

It’s weird because we have this salad dressing thread going on NHC right now heh

But the only dressings I really eat are Caesar, Bernstein’s “cheese fantastico” and then sometimes papaya seed. I would not touch salad dressing growing up.

I like to cook with Italian and ranch tho...they are flavorful in other ways for me. Actually I got really ok with ranch lately but only like restaurant housemade ranch. Not packets you get at fast food. The ranch at the nearby Ruby Tuesday, Chili’s, and local bar are delish.

Old 06-03-2018, 06:37 PM   #39
box elder
Forum Leader

i like the tomato based dressings, so mainly french and russian (the dark, wish bone style russian, not the lighter, thousand island looking one). which thankfully are usually vegan anyway so i don't have to worry about it. i did love me some blue cheese, but more for wings or just dipping stuff into than salads

Old 06-03-2018, 09:58 PM   #40
brody
I'm the real Lance

if i may branch off from the salad talk. i'm working a boring but easy temp job for the next couple weeks so i have an excuse to read. about a quarter the way through this

haven't read any z. smith novels but this is cool. she occasionally has trouble getting her bearings i/r/t relaying her points (mainly towards the beginning) but there hasn't been an essay yet that didn't end on a strong note

looking forward to the chapter on date movie (friedberg/seltzer, 2006)

Old 06-05-2018, 06:54 AM   #41
CeetjeBeetje
Brick fucking MASTER!

Salads what? Bunch of hippies.

Guns don't kill people. Physics kill people!

CeetjeBeetje is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-05-2018, 01:39 PM   #42
kupomog

o ok

Old 06-05-2018, 07:34 PM   #43
brody
I'm the real Lance

Quote:
Originally Posted by CeetjeBeetje View Post
Salads what? Bunch of hippies.
agreed

Old 06-06-2018, 07:21 AM   #44
box elder
Forum Leader

to get back to salad talk, i am realizing i need to be a lot more diligent about checking ingredients if i want to actually cut out animal products. like, a veggie burger with eggs in it -- ok that's on me. i should have checked. but a "cheese substitute" called "go veggie" that contains milk???? like, that's just cheese bro. seriously feels like that one was intentionally misleading

Old 06-06-2018, 10:23 AM   #45
DAntae
Hardcore Boarder

I have not gone too much into the alternate dairy stuff as far as cheese goes. I did try a plant milk over the weekend. it was pretty tasty. good consistency. a small amount of grit, but with cereal it is a good pairing.

you trying to go all in on vegan, or just cut out meat?

Old 06-06-2018, 11:50 AM   #46
box elder
Forum Leader

like i said upthread, i'm not claiming veganism and likely never will. but yeah, i'm trying to limit all animal product intake as much as possible, not just meat

as far as milk, i had pretty much switched to almond milk even before this. it's about a million times better than soy milk if you're looking for milk alternatives

Old 06-06-2018, 06:46 PM   #47
brody
I'm the real Lance

i've never had soy milk in my life

luv almond milk

Old 06-06-2018, 07:15 PM   #48
kupomog

I'm ok w/ soy but prefer vanilla soy for taste.

I like almond and coconut milk.

I should probably really be drinking Lactaid bc I have minor lactose intolerance but I just like regular milk too much.

Old 06-06-2018, 08:25 PM   #49
box elder
Forum Leader

lactaid sucks. when i was drinking milk i drank fairlife. it's a little more expensive and i'm not sure if it's available everywhere, but as far as lactose-free milk it beats the shit out of lactaid

Old 06-06-2018, 09:19 PM   #50
Pax
the heartbreaker

Chocolate soy milk beats all, sorry

Pax is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-07-2018, 11:29 AM   #51
DAntae
Hardcore Boarder

soy is just too watery for me. I can get down with almond milk and even drink it. I have to look up the name of the plant milk we bought, but while I do not think I would want to drink it directly; it pairs great with my shredded wheat and cheerios.

Old 06-14-2018, 07:18 PM   #52
brody
I'm the real Lance

so i'm honestly not quick to dislike anyone but i'm working with someone who is impossibly dense and annoying in ways i've never experienced. he asks questions that aren't necessarily offensive, but no answer i give is ever enough to give him enough information. when i told him i was vegan (as an explanation for why i ate at chipotle and not the dining hall for lunch) he asks "why can't u just eat meat like a normal person" and then finds any reason to bring it up (someone offers us chocolate: "HE'S VEGAN") or when finding out that i take the bus: "so, do you have to catch it?"

on paper this might not read as terribly bad but he's got a super irritating tone of voice that makes everything he say sound like an inquisition and he's a 31-year-old who's probably dumber than most teenagers in terms of understanding proper conversational etiquette. at least i'll only have to work with him five more days

Old 06-14-2018, 08:52 PM   #53
kupomog

Nah I feel you; I work with a few guys like that and try my best to not have to interact with them ever. I suspect one of them has an actual condition or may have legit social communication issues which I imagine would make it hard for them to work with our customers.

One of the other guys in particular (a former teacher, apparently) will ask the same procedure questions every week and is also really jumpy hyper. Like, always wound up speeding around the office practically running into things and READY TO DO ANYTHING YOU NEED I CAN DO IT I WILL MAKE SURE EVERYTHING TESTS TO THE CUSTOMER'S SATISFACTION.

Bro chiiiiiill.

by:  brody

Old 06-14-2018, 08:59 PM   #54
brody
I'm the real Lance

oh this guy's a teacher too

and is married with two (soon to be three) kids

Old 06-14-2018, 09:03 PM   #55
kupomog

Wow coinkydinks~ This guy just has a dog, tho. And the dog has cancer and he has spent literal thousands of dollars on treatment and operations for her to prolong life. He basically treats her like his baby, but I hope she isn't in pain.

Old 06-15-2018, 12:31 PM   #56
DAntae
Hardcore Boarder

is the awkwardness unbearable in these situations? while I have not had anyone that I can recall working with having those issues with just normal communication, I have had my fair share of people who just liked to overly analyze other co-workers (me included). judging to put it bluntly.

there was a really nice guy who worked in our IT dept. he had a major stutter, which made it difficult to carry long conversations. to the point where I would see people in various department just lose patience and give him all kinds of grief. I mean genuine nice guy, worked hard and resolved every issue. anyhow the way he was treated for the stutter and he had a crazy 'terrorist' beard (as many said), and those huge ear lob piercings.

anyhow we usually chatted once we found out we both were into video games. one day he was just gone. no notice or anything. a few months later I get a friend request on psn. he now lives in Boston and got a great job running his own team at a big time health system. I like to go around bragging on him to the people who treated him like shit.

no real point here. I guess.

Old 06-15-2018, 11:37 PM   #57
brody
I'm the real Lance

it's not so much awkward as it is just aggravating. i can handle someone's awkwardness if i can tell they mean well (or at least don't mean any offense) but he's got enough sense to know how annoying he's being. or maybe not, because one of the first interactions we had was where he asked what book i was reading ("our lady of the flowers") and his response was "sounds boring". like he has this vibe of someone who might just lack social decorum and decides to just use dismissiveness as a defense mechanism but i have no idea how someone like that is supposed to make friends

that said he didn't really bother me today

Old 06-22-2018, 03:15 PM   #58
DAntae
Hardcore Boarder

so this has kind of become the chat thread I guess.

so...I pulled a moron move and got an infection in my foot. just going to give the short version. had some calloused skin on bottom of my right foot. maybe a bit bigger than a quarter in size, a couple of inches down from my pinky toe.

I had a big day of yard work planned. woke up super early to try and beat as much of the heat as possible. while still not wide awake I just yanked the skin off(mistake #1). no big deal I figured. I tossed on my 'yard' sneakers which I keep in the garage. (mistake #2). I felt a little discomfort for a few seconds and thought nothing of it. (mistake #3).

about 6 hours later all is done. it was just project after project. I finally get inside and am wiped out from the sun/humidity. I just hit the couch and put my feet up, instead of heading straight for the shower. (mistake #4). I finally grab a shower and scrub my feet but do not inspect, yeah another mistake.

fast forward 2 days I have a 102 fever and a smell coming from my food that would make anyone gag. so yeah it was infected. doc determines the opened area was bitten by a spider that was in my shoe.I take the prescribed antibiotics and the infection clears up quickly. the culture specimen showed some gunk. go to wound care. the previously infected tissue is cut out. I am given a weight off-loading shoe to keep pressure off. the shoe does a meh job. get some synthetic skin next week and a temporary cast that will remove all pressure to heal this thing up. this has now been a 3 week issue.

I would not feel like such a dumbass if I did not work in a hospital and audit cases with these types of problems all the time. so somebody tell me some stupid shit you have done so I feel better.

Old 06-22-2018, 04:31 PM   #59
kupomog

Yikes dude, hope you recover swiftly.

I have chronic ezcema and mutilate myself picking at my scabs and wounds on flare ups so that's pretty stupid.

I probably need another cortisone shot from my dermatologist and then the skin will be scab-free in a few months as usual.

Old 07-27-2018, 09:01 PM   #60
brody
I'm the real Lance

i'm finally listening to metallica
@Krusty the Funny Klown

User Tag List