Boards & Rec
Go Back   Boards & Rec > B&R > Boards

Old 11-07-2016, 03:24 PM   #61
kupomog
spring love, come back to me

I'll eat most any pickles from the big dill ones to the little tiny sweet baby ones, especially garlicky ones because I like to stink.

All the ones.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

kupomog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-07-2016, 04:51 PM   #62
kupomog

I made a gif, y'all. Taking ya BACK to 2012.

by:  benjamin

Old 11-07-2016, 04:54 PM   #63
DAntae
Hardcore Boarder

still not a big fan of parks and rec (but I do watch old eps from time to time)...but anything that allows me to view aubrey plaza is a big plus.

DAntae is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-07-2016, 06:00 PM   #64
jake
...with club sauce.

champion is the best character

jake is offline   Reply With Quote
by:  kupomog

Old 11-07-2016, 07:54 PM   #65
Jared
6ft. 180

Guys, I've been watching Chronologically LOST. (Just like it sounds, some guy re-cut everything from LOST into chronological order). And I'm almost up to the episode with the plane crash. I re-watched seasons 1-4 right before season 5 aired. But haven't revisited this series since the finale. Very fun so far.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

R is among the most menacing of sounds. That's why they call it murder, not muckduck.

Jared is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-07-2016, 08:15 PM   #66
kupomog

I really want to do that and sorta can't believe I still haven't. I did Buffy and Angel chronologically which was fun, but I was also new to Angel and rewatching Buffy for the billionth time.

I miss caring about LOST.

Old 11-07-2016, 11:25 PM   #67
jake
...with club sauce.

i did a rewatch a few years ago when it was put up on netflix. to honor the lost thread, here's a way too long post about lost

it was mostly fun but yeah it was definitely a product of circumstance to the extent that the dweeby experience of being invested in it was a huge part of it's charm and that isn't there the second time. that doesn't make it outright bad or anything but it also has a lot more aggravating stuff that doesn't work as well in retrospect.

i liked the last two seasons when they aired, but when i watched them the second time they didn't hold together really well for me and they seemed really divorced from everything that came before. the time travel stuff is fun but mostly just feels like a weird diversion in context of the rest of the story because it ultimately doesn't effect that much other than bringing the 6 back. it was fun when it was on because it was full of fun revelations to get really excited about but it doesn't hang together without that. sawyer's arc is still great, though, and maybe the biggest thing that makes it work the second time because it's just fun to watch sawyer replace jack as lead for a while.

the final endgame coming down to two characters we've never met before was something i was iffy on at the time and liked even less in retrospect. they did such a great job setting up widmore/ben and it just gets thrown to the side. ben's arc in the last two seasons is frustrating and only works because michael emerson still rules. widmore never becomes more than an all-purpose plot device when the writers needed a new conflict and he just becomes another surprising death scene. the man in black and jacob are okay but the conflict between them is purposely kept vague to the point that no real stakes ever develop until they suddenly become "same the island, save the world".

meanwhile, the rest of the cast is reduced to just ping-ponging back and forth between the two and it's just not all that interesting. sayid's arc makes no sense at all. jin and sun's story felt weirdly cruel to me the second time because sun basically gets no screen time until she gets killed off. claire's arc is weird and kind of makes sense but feels way to broad and goofy. locke's arc is weird because i respect how bleak it is but it's kind of undercut by having terry o'quinn walking around as another character. desmond's arc is awesome but is almost entirely a misdirect that doesn't really have any impact on anything which is kind annoying. i still loved the richard alpert episode but it's partially because it feels so stand alone that you can enjoy it as it's own thing.

the flash sideways stuff is weird because i like a lot of the individual episodes and thought some of them were really good. the problem is that the writers are intentionally setting up this misdirect where whatever happened to desmond in the hatch is allowing him to become self-aware of whatever the flash sideways is and that his awareness of that is directly connected to his on-the-island story in the last season. and the bomb exploding at the end of season 5, causing the thing that caused desmond's whole arc, is set up as being directly related to whatever the flash sideways is. so when the flash sideways turns out to just be this place where they all meet to move on does feel kind of cheap, like this storyline that's supposed to have an impact on everything else we're seeing is just an extended epilogue. it's a good epilogue in a lot of ways but it's so entirely dependent on a big twist that feels silly and disconnected from everything else.

i think the problem is that the stuff that made it compelling and fun at the time hurts it in the end. it's a show that built a narrative engine that was designed entirely around plot twists and questions being answered with plot twists. and since so much of lost is about the structure of the story, this means that eventually big twists in turns of how the story is told also becomes a major narrative engine. each season the show has to have multiple timelines with one off island and the nature of those timelines has to change in a dramatic way. the problem is that so much of the last three seasons comes down to just throwing characters around the island until they converge and change the narrative structure. as a result, the show is just forcing these characters into these weird plots that start to feel weirdly arbitrary because the steps to get to the big moments and answers get lazier and lazier. the season 5 finale hinges on juliet just changing her mind a bunch of times. sayid walks around like a zombie for 9 episodes and then suddenly decides to sacrifice himself for some reason. faraday and desmond just disappear for long stretches of a time and faraday comes back just to get killed for a big shocking twist. ben changes sides so many times and his level of information keep changing so many times that his being a liar just becomes a boring plot device.

season 4 is still amazing because it the character motivations make sense and the structure of having the oceanic 6 storyline basically go in reverse until it meets up with the present is really clever and satisfying. i think the other two timeline things were just too forced.

i know that's too long and seems really negative but honestly it is fun to watch again because some of the bad stuff like evil locke or the dharma guy who interrogates sayid is still fun and it's still one of the best looking tv shows ever.

Last edited by jake; 11-08-2016 at 11:15 AM.

Old 11-07-2016, 11:28 PM   #68
jake
...with club sauce.

i'm sorry if i'm being honest i'm real stressed about tomorrow because it's gonna be a long day and it turns out writing a way too long post about LOST is still a good way to ignore reality for like 20 minutes.

the more things change etc

Old 11-08-2016, 12:26 AM   #69
kupomog

We all still hate the tattoo ep right?

Old 11-08-2016, 12:43 AM   #70
jake
...with club sauce.

yeah when i rewatched it, i just ended up throwing it on in the background while i folded laundry because it's genuinely hard to sit through

Old 11-08-2016, 08:02 AM   #71
Jared
6ft. 180

I still remember the lead up to that episode with all the teasers from ABC about big questions being answered. And then that.

LOST was the last appointment tv show for me and I really miss that.

Jared is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-08-2016, 11:40 AM   #72
DAntae
Hardcore Boarder

I love election day. I have a blast talking with people in line.

sorry to derail the lost discussion. carry on.

Old 11-08-2016, 12:47 PM   #73
box elder
Forum Leader

i've re-watched LOST at least twice but both times were fairly shortly after it ended. haven't watched it in like 4 years so i should probably spin it again. i obviously have somewhat strong feelings about it and have always defended the ending. i mean, it's not perfect of course, but i think it was like a million times more satisfying than, say, the breaking bad ending. which people somehow ate up

box elder is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-08-2016, 01:10 PM   #74
kupomog

I'm kinda amazed I managed to get Joshua to sit and watch LOST and he ended up mostly liking it. I found myself kinda tired of certain peoples shenanigans the second time around, like Kate. I dunno what it was but I spent a lot of time saying "ugh damn it Kate."

by:  jake

Old 11-08-2016, 02:39 PM   #75
jake
...with club sauce.

Quote:
Originally Posted by box elder View Post
i've re-watched LOST at least twice but both times were fairly shortly after it ended. haven't watched it in like 4 years so i should probably spin it again. i obviously have somewhat strong feelings about it and have always defended the ending. i mean, it's not perfect of course, but i think it was like a million times more satisfying than, say, the breaking bad ending. which people somehow ate up
even with the diminished view i had of lost after the second time, i still agree with this. lost was an issue of writers backing themselves into a million corners but it was always trying interesting stuff and there's still a lot to admire about the ambition even if it ultimately doesn't come together in a super coherent way and even if the steps taken to get there feel really contrived sometimes. plus, like i said, i liked the lost finale when it aired and only dislike it more in retrospect which is something i can't say about the breaking bad finale which left me cold immediately.

it probably didn't help that i had just finished watching the shield for the first time, which basically has the same general arc as breaking bad but executes it so, so much better.

i think i posted this in the thread when it happened, but i laughed so hard at walt laying on the floor dying leading into "WELL I GUESS I GOT WHAT I DESERVED". same with walt skulking around gretchen and elliot's house and calling them "the beautiful people" like some kind of batman villain.

by:  box elder

Old 11-08-2016, 03:13 PM   #76
Ginster
in the bushes

I got lost somewhere at the end of the fifth season and stopped watching for a while and never found the time or guts to watch the final episodes... rewatching 'Police Squad!' though

Ginster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-08-2016, 06:46 PM   #77
jake
...with club sauce.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAntae View Post
I love election day. I have a blast talking with people in line.

sorry to derail the lost discussion. carry on.
i only had to work half a day today so i'm already drinking. i got invited to a few work-related parties but i don't like being drunk around co-workers and i need to drink for this. i might go to one with a group of other friends but i also just kind of want to watch a ton of shitty cable news and laugh at GOP people melting down on twitter and just taking it all in.

Old 11-08-2016, 06:54 PM   #78
kupomog

I did mail-in ballot weeks ago. I really don't desire to stand in our lines here >.>

Gotta go get a filling put back in after work, tho :/

Old 11-08-2016, 06:58 PM   #79
comeau
go to work wasted

sent my ballot in on like october 4th. this idaho resident voted for clinton, which pretty much means i might as well have just thrown the ballot in the trash since it won't matter

comeau is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-08-2016, 07:08 PM   #80
jake
...with club sauce.

sent my ballot in like 2 weeks ago. god vote by mail is so good.

Old 11-09-2016, 12:45 AM   #81
jake
...with club sauce.

jesus fucking christ

by:  DAntae

Old 11-09-2016, 01:21 AM   #82
DAntae
Hardcore Boarder

My thoughts exactly.

Old 11-09-2016, 01:23 AM   #83
kupomog

I have said many bad words

Old 11-09-2016, 01:33 AM   #84
DAntae
Hardcore Boarder

How could it have gone this wrong? Praying Michigan and Wisconsin close strong for Clinton.

Old 11-09-2016, 01:41 AM   #85
kupomog

I want Trump to get immediately impeached or get sucked into a patch of zero matter maybe because I wouldn't want to see him get sniped on live tv.

Old 11-09-2016, 01:47 AM   #86
jake
...with club sauce.

a single party government with donald trump as the head of the executive branch.

i wish i was dead

Old 11-09-2016, 01:50 AM   #87
comeau
go to work wasted

i just can't think of anything to say right now. the shock is too much.

comeau is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-09-2016, 02:00 AM   #88
jake
...with club sauce.

i have so many things i want to say but no idea how to put them into words and it feels so hallucinatory and horrible.

i just started yelling at nothing

Old 11-09-2016, 02:01 AM   #89
DAntae
Hardcore Boarder

I know it's over...but I have to keep watching. It just seems like the worst kind of dream.

Old 11-09-2016, 07:46 AM   #90
CeetjeBeetje
Brick fucking MASTER!

I'm not even American, but it bothers me that the majority of voters think Trump is gonna be a good president.
I can't fucking believe that that idiot is gonna represent America.

Guns don't kill people. Physics kill people!

CeetjeBeetje is offline   Reply With Quote

User Tag List