Boards & Rec
Old 10-06-2012, 09:55 PM   #61
jordan
Hi Doggie

i still prefer holmes to hardwick though

"let me namedrop some comedian or celebrity i happened to be hanging out with the other day"

"let me namedrop you just so i can assure the audience you and me are friends or have a history and i'm not just interviewing you as a fan, even if it is the most smallest connection possible" (i.e. "you and i have the same booking agent" , "we ran into each other at an airport once" (julie benz interview), etc, etc)

"let me ask you the most innocuous boring questions ever instead of finding out anything remotely new or interesting about you"

"that movie/song/album/stand up act/podcast/anything is AMAZING, the greatest work of art ever made, and i'm not just saying that to kiss your ass"

"let me joke around too much annoyingly with some guests but not the ones i am clearly afraid of, like david cross"

jordan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-06-2012, 10:47 PM   #62
Aaron
ouroboros my own lexicon

Location: blasting across the alkali flats in a jet-powered, monkey-navigated...

Not a single of those complaints is worse than anything that Holmes does IMO, and they're all apt criticisms. But really, both Hardwick and Holmes's biggest problems are being over-excitable dorks who want everybody to like them. Which one is more irritating seems to be personal preference.

What puts me off on Holmes though is what was just mentioned: dude does not know how to interview people, and talks over everybody. Sure Hardwick may drop names left-and-right, but he at least has the ability to let a guest finish an interesting anecdote.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Aaron is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-06-2012, 11:14 PM   #63
Kamerica
HOW MUCH WERE MY SHARES DILUT

let me clarify that i have an intense love/hate for pete holmes, as it seems all of his friends do. his comedy is really funny, and his podcast is alternately irritating or fascinating, but never boring. what's weird is that he actually was pretty solid w interviewing in the initial episodes, i think he's just indulged far too much in his podcast "persona" or whatever

my central issue with Chris Hardwick is that he's not very funny, and is too afraid of making enemies in hollywood (hence his tendency to "spin" everything positively except for the lowest of low hanging fruit like kim kardashian, jersey shore, etc). he does have nice energy, and his YMIW was really good

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Kamerica is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-07-2012, 12:18 AM   #64
mr. broom
comes from circumstances

from what I've seen of interviews with comedians on most podcasts, tv shows etc. comedians mostly don't like talking shit on each other. it seems like it is an industry where voicing a negative opinion publicly is the same as beefing so most comedians just do not do it. I think it's kind of a code

makes me miss patrice o'neil. that guy never minced a fucking word in his life

mr. broom is offline   Reply With Quote
by:  jordan

Old 10-07-2012, 10:29 AM   #65
jordan
Hi Doggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
What puts me off on Holmes though is what was just mentioned: dude does not know how to interview people, and talks over everybody. Sure Hardwick may drop names left-and-right, but he at least has the ability to let a guest finish an interesting anecdote.

see, i feel that hardwick ALSO talks over everyone and doesn't let them finish. countless times the guest is about to say something interesting but hardwick and co. start "riffing" all excitedly and 5 minutes later, uh, what was he/she saying? oh no one remembers.

Old 10-07-2012, 11:15 AM   #66
mr. broom
comes from circumstances

that's never really bothered me about Chris Hardwick, Todd Glass, or Pete Holmes - they seem to have set their shows up more as conversations, a format I largely prefer (less true with Hardwick, but still to an extent). it allows them to go on wild tangents, interrupt one another, or even talk about themselves without it being ridiculous. some people don't like that they talk about themselves, particularly Pete, but I enjoy it because it makes me feel like we're all hanging out and just talking, with only occasionally breaks where a hard topic is introduced

again, I 100% understand why other people are not down for that. I can see how that would really irritate some folk. it just doesn't irritate me

Old 10-07-2012, 11:32 AM   #67
AllSussedOut
the ghost of troubled Joe

i think we can all agree that what the world needs now is more andy daly.

AllSussedOut is offline   Reply With Quote
by:  Aaron, jake

Old 10-07-2012, 11:48 AM   #68
benjamin
-

Hardwick is the only one that bothers me, Holmes can be irritating but he always get's something interesting out of his guests, maybe it's just this his conversations about religion are always interesting to me. Hardwick's topics tend to be so boring and superficial. But then, I very rarely listen to Nerdist, and I don't listen to Holmes that often so he's not had time to get grating.

By the way it's nice that we can discuss this here, I once said something really mild about a podcast on AST and people rained down shit on me, screaming "It's free asshole, don't listen if you don't like it"

benjamin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-07-2012, 07:14 PM   #69
jordan
Hi Doggie

i like some aspects of the conversational nature of nerdist, but other times, 30 minutes pass with a guest i'm REALLY interested in and i'm thinking "ask him a fucking question!"

Old 10-07-2012, 07:43 PM   #70
jake
...with club sauce.

my biggest issue with the nerdist is hardwick's riffing. they'll be having a really good conversation then someone casually references a comic book and hardwick will have to derail the conversation to make a million bad poop jokes about said comic book.

i can get past it if there's a good guest, especially a guest who can take over the riffing and be funny. rich sommer did a good job with this. also, the ben folds episode is great.

speaking of totally laime, i tried to listen to a few episodes this weekend. they were really bad. the patton episode was fun because patton basically took over the show. but laime is just a really terrible host. she's incredibly awkward, doesn't know what questions to ask or even how to phrase basic questions, and she's just not funny. during the aubrey plaza episode there's a part where her dog gets out of the house and she goes to get it, but doesn't edit out the dead air so there's like 2-3 minutes of aubrey plaza and the co-host just sitting around in awkward silence.

jake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-07-2012, 08:37 PM   #71
jordan
Hi Doggie

editing, or rather lack of, is my main problem with podcasts. i mean does every podcast need to be 2 hours? i listen to them in like 20 minute chunks at the most, i don't know, unless it's incredible i don't have a lot of patience.

Old 10-07-2012, 10:39 PM   #72
Aaron
ouroboros my own lexicon

Location: blasting across the alkali flats in a jet-powered, monkey-navigated...

Anyone else listen to The JV Club? Man, it can be some intense stuff, the Maria Bamford and Kulap Vilaysack episodes in particular.

And speaking of Kulap, I've recently tried to get into Who Charted? because I love her, but I find Howard Kremer's immediate dismissal of almost everything really irritating. He's such a fucking sourpuss when Kulap just radiates enthusiasm. It's a ying-yang dynamic that is kind of grating on me the more episodes I hear.

Old 10-07-2012, 11:56 PM   #73
jake
...with club sauce.

i have a bunch of jv club episodes downloaded but haven't listened yet.

Old 10-08-2012, 12:20 AM   #74
Aaron
ouroboros my own lexicon

A couple episodes are a tad boring because of some guests that haven't been that interesting, but for the most part I'm a big fan. If you have any interest in Maria Bamford at all, I highly recommend her episode.

Old 10-08-2012, 10:38 AM   #75
BILLY
BOARD MESSIAH COMPLEX

listened to episode 176 of CBB on the way to work and nearly crashed my car when tom leykis said "EVERY WOMAN WANTS TO DIP NYLONS IN MY BUTTHOLE AND I'VE TURNED THEM DOWN 90% OF THE TIME"

are there any other episodes with that character?

trill

BILLY is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-08-2012, 10:51 AM   #76
benjamin
-

Nope, he's done bits of him on The Todd Glass Show, although he's not in character the whole time, just dips into him for certain bits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
Anyone else listen to The JV Club? Man, it can be some intense stuff, the Maria Bamford and Kulap Vilaysack episodes in particular.
The Mental Illness Happy Hour is also good for really intense, personal conversations. Kulap was on an episode of that as well. She really had a tough life growing up.

Quote:
And speaking of Kulap, I've recently tried to get into Who Charted? because I love her, but I find Howard Kremer's immediate dismissal of almost everything really irritating. He's such a fucking sourpuss when Kulap just radiates enthusiasm. It's a ying-yang dynamic that is kind of grating on me the more episodes I hear.
For a while I utterly loved Who Charted and it was my 2nd favourite podcast, then something snapped and I realized I was only listening out of habit and not really paying any attention. So now I only tune in for certain guests.

Old 10-08-2012, 10:58 AM   #77
jake
...with club sauce.

i did that with professor blastoff.

the mental illness happy hour is really great sometimes but he doesn't get the best guests so i skip a lot of weeks.

and the one with phil hendrie really bothered me.

Old 10-08-2012, 04:46 PM   #78
mr. broom
comes from circumstances

only episode of JV Club I listened to was the Bamford one. really really good. I loved Kulap on YMIW and Todd Glass so I may have give that a listen too

by:  Aaron

Old 10-08-2012, 06:48 PM   #79
Aaron
ouroboros my own lexicon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakebert View Post
and the one with phil hendrie really bothered me.
Why? I haven't listened to that particular one.

Old 10-08-2012, 09:06 PM   #80
jake
...with club sauce.

Its more the subject matter. Phil has some sexual issues with his mother and gets really in depth.

Old 10-09-2012, 12:44 AM   #81
Aaron
ouroboros my own lexicon

Oh yikes.

Old 10-09-2012, 11:55 AM   #82
kimpantaloons
bobby sherman?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. broom View Post
from what I've seen of interviews with comedians on most podcasts, tv shows etc. comedians mostly don't like talking shit on each other. it seems like it is an industry where voicing a negative opinion publicly is the same as beefing so most comedians just do not do it. I think it's kind of a code
true true. the only time i hear anything negative is when there is a definite known riff between comics. they are pretty much a close knit group.

kimpantaloons is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-09-2012, 12:11 PM   #83
mr. broom
comes from circumstances

I think that's part of it. another large part, though, is that talking shit on other comics is just Not Done. it's a kind of mutually assured destruction - comics are built to find flaws and bring them into stark relief. it's why so many of them are also great critics. if you trash another comic, you exclude yourself from the understanding and are now fair game yourself. rather than spend a ton of their energy burning each other back and forth, most comics recognize the value in saying something nice or saying nothing at all

that's not to downplay the closeness. one thing comics are constantly talking about is how the only people they can talk to about what they do are other comics. no doubt this is a shared-struggly group and that's going to breed closeness

Old 10-09-2012, 12:17 PM   #84
jake
...with club sauce.

Which is kind of how you know a comedian like dane cook must really suck because comedians were actually vocal about disliking him.

Old 10-09-2012, 02:11 PM   #85
mr. broom
comes from circumstances

I use him as an example of both how little regard he's held in and how serious the unspoken agreement is - he draws a lot of fire but a lot of comics are still loath to remark on how awful he is publicly. his shitty comedy tests the boundary

Old 10-09-2012, 02:16 PM   #86
jordan
Hi Doggie

and that is why i love andy kindler

Old 10-09-2012, 02:21 PM   #87
benjamin
-

There's people like Dane Cook and Mencia who you're allowed to make fun of, there's always a couple of comics, that it's okay for other comics to make fun of.

In the UK there's Michael Mcintyre who at the height of his popularity, was routinely the subject of jokes at loads of shows I went to, to the point that I started to sympathise with him and making fun of him became hack. (And he wasn't even accused of being a joke thief or anything, people just disliked that he did safe observational comedy that was very popular)

Agreed Jordan. I didn't even agree with Kindler's comments about Louie, but I love that somebody is making fun of Louis C.K when everyone else is talking about how amazing he is.

Old 10-09-2012, 02:25 PM   #88
kimpantaloons
bobby sherman?!?

once you are found out to be a joke stealer all bets are off

kimpantaloons is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-09-2012, 03:14 PM   #89
BILLY
BOARD MESSIAH COMPLEX

jay mohr, who i really don't like, did a pretty good/scathing impression of CK and gervais on opie and anthony or something once. i don't listen to those guys but i heard it on youtube.

BILLY is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-09-2012, 04:33 PM   #90
jordan
Hi Doggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjamin View Post
Agreed Jordan. I didn't even agree with Kindler's comments about Louie, but I love that somebody is making fun of Louis C.K when everyone else is talking about how amazing he is.

waaaaah? what did he say about Louie?

User Tag List