Boards & Rec
Old 01-08-2010, 09:22 PM   #1
steve
Hardcore Boarder

Default The Legend of Zelda Thread

Figured we could use this as a central hub for all Zelda discussion, whether it be related to Spirit Tracks if anyone's playing it, or speculation on the new Wii Zelda as its E3 unveiling draws closer.

And we can also reminisce/share/debate about old Zelda games.

steve is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-08-2010, 10:02 PM   #2
Blake
It's a wonderful restaurant!

Navi's annoying

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Blake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-08-2010, 10:03 PM   #3
Dylan
Hardcore Boarder

I haven't really ever played a zelda game, but I have a wii, twilight princess worth getting for a new comer?

Dylan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-08-2010, 10:05 PM   #4
D'ohmer
Banned

I love Zelda. Ocarina of Time is my favorite game of all time.

I got Spirit Tracks for Christmas. I wasn't going to get it because it looked exactly like Phantom Hourglass, which I wasn't a big fan of, but it's a very good game and overall, better than Phantom Hourglass (IMO).

Edit: Dylan, I would recommend playing some of the older games first, like maybe downloading A Link to the Past or Ocarina of Time on the virtual console. Or, you can get the Zelda collection for the gamecube, which can also be played on the Wii That way, you won't play a game that's technically better first because you might not appreciate the classics. Just my thoughts, though.

D'ohmer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-08-2010, 10:07 PM   #5
Blake

I've had the strongest urge to play Wind Waker for a while but i loaned it to my friend 3 months ago and I think he has yet to play it......

Yeah MM is probably my favorite Zelda game though and in the list of my top 5 favorite games

Old 01-08-2010, 10:09 PM   #6
D'ohmer
Banned

Sorry Mt. Doom, but I could never get into MM. The three-day timer is just too stressful for me. I've given it a bunch of chances, but the most I've gotten to is after the first dungeon. I thought the three-day timer killed the game. No offence

Old 01-08-2010, 10:12 PM   #7
Blake

I always saw the 3-Day run as the biggest godsend to any hard-core gamer, but I guess it's just me....

Old 01-08-2010, 10:15 PM   #8
D'ohmer
Banned

I like to play Zelda games to take my time and explore the cool worlds and i can't really do that with MM.

Yeah, I agree. Navi is annoying.

Old 01-08-2010, 10:58 PM   #9
Fish
meh.

Spirit tracks started off decent, but its crazy fucking repetitive. I've beat the fourth temple and headed back to the spirit tower but stopped playing for a while. I tried picking it up again last night, but I just... eh.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Twitter | Facebook | Flickr | Last.fm

Fish is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-08-2010, 11:00 PM   #10
D'ohmer
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish View Post
Spirit tracks started off decent, but its crazy fucking repetitive. I've beat the fourth temple and headed back to the spirit tower but haven't played in a while. I tried picking it up again last night, but I just... eh.
I actually think the opposite. I think the beginning dragged on a little, but the game got more interesting to play.

Old 01-09-2010, 01:02 AM   #11
steve
Hardcore Boarder

the never-ending debate that I will always be a supporter of is Majora's Mask > Ocarina of Time.

But I've said enough on that subject and am stopping right there.

I tend to favor the underdog ones. Zelda II was great. Very un-Zelda like, but a very good game in its own right. And you know, I often wonder if it came about similarly to how the US version of Super Mario Bros. 2 did - started out as another game, then Nintendo altered its storyline to be a sequel to the unexpected hit The Legend of Zelda. Who knows...

I really enjoyed the Oracle games as well. I played both, then linked up and played through again to reach Ganon. Ingenius move, I loved it. Great swansong for the Game Boy Color.

Old 01-09-2010, 01:27 AM   #12
Jims
Hates ferrets.

You only started up the Majora's Mask love until I yelled at you before the podcast about it.

The Oracle Games... Well, I like Oracle of Seasons.

I complained in the last thread that I think Zelda gets a little too cerebral sometimes, and Oracle of Ages is the clear example of it. I like a good puzzle and all... But when you recreate the Water Temple gimmick (rising/falling water) in an overhead view? It's a bit too much for me. Seeing the water rise and fall in a 3-D space was more bearable in Ocarina of Time, but doing the concept in an overhead view is painful.

Jims is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-09-2010, 01:36 AM   #13
steve
Hardcore Boarder

haha, I don't remember you yelling at me. I thought you were in favor of the MM > OoT debate?

Old 01-09-2010, 02:09 AM   #14
Jims
Hates ferrets.

Oh, easily. Because everyone knows that the real Zelda fans like Majora's Mask the best. Nuts to the other games.

Old 01-09-2010, 05:58 AM   #15
Granto
So it goes

heyyy listen!

Granto is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-09-2010, 12:17 PM   #16
Channel Surfer
Hardcore Boarder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish View Post
Spirit tracks started off decent, but its crazy fucking repetitive. I've beat the fourth temple and headed back to the spirit tower but stopped playing for a while. I tried picking it up again last night, but I just... eh.
The biggest problem with Spirit Tracks is really the train rides. They go on too long for how little there is to do during them and the warps aren't very conveniently placed to make much use of them. That and too many of the side quests require you to play chauffeur with all the added excitement of following the signs. Joy.

The game actually does pick up a bit here though, if only because the Spirit Tower becomes increasingly interesting and more complicated in its design. It's a bit better than Phantom Hourglass actually, despite borrowing heavily from it. Yeah it has a lot of the same problems - and strengths - but solving puzzles while controlling two people tends to lead to more elaborate and better thought out areas than a timed dungeon. That and its slightly higher difficulty, generally better character writing (even if prissy Zelda probably should annoy me more), and improved controls help the game out a bit too.

Channel Surfer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-09-2010, 12:28 PM   #17
D'ohmer
Banned

I actually enjoy the train rides so far. I like them much more than the boat segments from Phantom Hourglass.

However, I hate Zelda in this game. She's annoying and wimpy, at least that's what I've noticed.

Old 01-09-2010, 02:01 PM   #18
Blake

I've noticed D'ohmer isn't fond of any young female characters whatsoever......

And I strongly disagree with the train rides. They feel so limiting and constricted compared to Linebeck's boat

Old 01-09-2010, 02:25 PM   #19
Vic
see you in the clouds

No mentions of Link's Awakening yet.

That windfish song is forever stuck in my head (mainly when all the instruments finally come together).

Vic is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-09-2010, 02:31 PM   #20
D'ohmer
Banned

I have never played much of Link's Awakening.

I also haven't played much of A Link to the Past, but I want to. I have it for the GBA.

Also, I heard a rumor that Link will fly in the next Zelda game.

Old 01-09-2010, 02:47 PM   #21
steve
Hardcore Boarder

Sub, Link's Awakening has got a very special place in my heart because it was the game that forever made me a Zelda fan. I got it for Xmas when I was ten, and fell in love with it. The music, the levels, the sidequests, the awesome new items... Really dark story too. I remember crying when I found out that the whole island and everyone on it was a dream.

Another top 5 Zelda for me.

Old 01-09-2010, 07:31 PM   #22
Disgruntled Goat
has his moments

Link's Awakening was the first Zelda game I played, and kinda got me hooked. Had some great puzzles in there IIRC. Though I played it really late so I haven't played many others. I played Wind Waker on a friend's GameCube, I think he had Ocarina of Time too but I never got round to playing...

Currently playing Twilight Princess on Wii and Spirit Tracks on DS. Both good games so far, ST is pretty similar to Phantom Hourglass. Totally agree about the train though, it's got boring already.

Simpson Crazy
Now with iGoogle gadgets! Try Quote of the Day and Word of the Day

my other sites: Toon images Song Lyrics Website tutorials

Disgruntled Goat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-09-2010, 07:47 PM   #23
Ihaveblink
Morman Standard Time

I'm actually almost finished Master Quest. The game is so great, they don't make games like that anymore (without zelda in the title).

Ihaveblink is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-09-2010, 07:59 PM   #24
Disgruntled Goat
has his moments

Also, there are sooooo many "cut scenes" on Twilight Princess...I must have watched more video than actually played the game so far!

Disgruntled Goat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-10-2010, 01:46 AM   #25
Jims
Hates ferrets.

Link's Awakening is great. As sad as it sounds, the first time I beat that game, I got kinda teary-eyed at the ending. I felt so bad for Marin and all them on that island.

Hey, I was 10 years old at the time. Kids are allowed to cry a little over video games.

To this day, I still kinda feel bad about Marin when I think about the character. One of my favorite parts of that game is when Link goes on his "date" with Marin and they sit on the beach and stare at the ocean... And then Marin goes on about having never left the island and wondering what lies beyond the ocean. It's a nice little character moment and makes you kinda think about what life is in general.

Old 01-10-2010, 01:49 AM   #26
Firestarter17
Boarder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgruntled Goat View Post
Also, there are sooooo many "cut scenes" on Twilight Princess...I must have watched more video than actually played the game so far!
i for one am thankful that most of them are skippable -- they're really nice but i don't like to deal with cutscenes too often.

Firestarter17 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-10-2010, 02:26 AM   #27
steve
Hardcore Boarder

The part that got me teary-eyed was the Face Shrine (not the level, but the part before it where you get the Face Key) and you read this tablet telling you that the whole island is a dream that will disappear when the Wind Fish wakes.

That's heavy shit for a ten year-old.

Long as we're talking about getting emotional while playing Zelda, I teared up first time I started up Twilight Princess and watched the intro with the music. It was so epic, and it was even a remix of the intro music from the first Zelda.

Old 01-10-2010, 03:21 PM   #28
Greased Scotsman
Stranger in this town

Just listening to the Zelda Reorchestrated version of the Ocarina of Time soundtrack, and it's getting me super-nostalgic for the game (and a little emotional when Zelda's Lullaby comes on). I really really want to go back and play through it again when I have time. Screw all these new unfinished games. I'm always adamant that Majora's Mask is my favourite Zelda game because of the side-quests and the characters, but there's no denying how epic OoT is.

Also honorable mentions to Link's Awakening and the Oracle games - both are crying out for a re-release. I wish Nintendo would hurry up and add the Game Boy to the Virtual Console.

Greased Scotsman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-10-2010, 04:04 PM   #29
Vic
see you in the clouds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greased Scotsman View Post
Screw all these new unfinished games
Yea that's the eternal struggle. Play something from the unplayed queue or go back and play something that's years old. In my old age I keep opting to go back and play something like MM instead of finally getting through TP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greased Scotsman View Post
Also honorable mentions to Link's Awakening and the Oracle games - both are crying out for a re-release. I wish Nintendo would hurry up and add the Game Boy to the Virtual Console.
Always figured they were holding onto GB games to release as VC titles for DS.

Either way sucks that they're not re-releasing on the Wii.

Vic is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-10-2010, 04:30 PM   #30
steve
Hardcore Boarder

wow, there are more people in favor of MM over OoT than I thought. I like that.

that's a good point on the GB games, Sub. that'd be a great idea, releasing them as VC titles for the DS. I wonder if Nintendo has any plans for that. it'd be a good reason to upgrade to a DSi when they come out with the XL ones later this year.

User Tag List