Boards & Rec
Old 10-14-2014, 06:56 AM   #811
CeetjeBeetje
Brick fucking MASTER!

Season 5 started. Anyone still interested? What do you think of the 1st episode?

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Guns don't kill people. Physics kill people!

CeetjeBeetje is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-14-2014, 08:43 AM   #812
box elder
Forum Leader

maybe the best episode this show has produced

i'd say it's made me excited for the rest of the season, but i'm still a little weary. they may have blown their load already (if not story-wise, budget-wise) and will spend the next 6 episodes wandering the woods arguing over dumb shit

box elder is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-16-2014, 07:13 AM   #813
CeetjeBeetje
Brick fucking MASTER!

Yeah, hopefully they still have some money left. Would be shitty if they threw in a bunch of bottle episodes to compensate.
I did find it a bit unrealistic that the lead characters kept getting out of shit by surcomstance and luck. One of the first scenes where they are in front of the big tub tied up, and there are 3 people we've never seen before next to them, you just know they will die and something will suddenly happen, when they are about to kill one of the main characters.
Would be cooler if they actually killed Glenn and then suddenly something happens.
It's always in the last second. Just as the guy is about to hit Glenn with the bat, this other guy walks in. It kinda kills the excitement of "are they gonna get out of this alive?".
But other than that, I liked the first episode.

Old 10-16-2014, 11:00 AM   #814
kimpantaloons
bobby sherman?!?

just watched this last night and i was having an anxiety attack the whole time. pretty good premiere!

according to talking dead the first guy in the trough was in a previous episode

_________________________________________________________________________________________

kimpantaloons is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-20-2014, 12:55 AM   #815
Cash Kerouac
Hardcore Boarder

Yeah, he was in the hippie couple that Rick and Carol found when they were scavenging for food in that suburb-looking neighborhood. He was the guy that Rick gave his watch to (which Carol found in the Terminus looting/treasure room).

"Did you exchange, a walk on part in a war, for a lead role in a cage?"

Cash Kerouac is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-20-2014, 06:52 AM   #816
CeetjeBeetje
Brick fucking MASTER!

Ah, I didn't notice that. But still, he was by no means a lead character. For all we know, he was already dead.

Old 10-27-2014, 06:09 AM   #817
Arizona Bay
hip gangster wannabe

Im really liking the pace of this season. The 3 episodes that have aired could have easily been stretched to 5 or 6 which would have sucked. Hopefully it can continue but I have my doubts.

Arizona Bay is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-28-2014, 09:52 AM   #818
box elder
Forum Leader

yeah i'm glad they're not dragging out storylines this season, but i'm getting sick of the "look how shocked people are at rick's behavior" thing. it's like the show is trying to force us into thinking rick is out of line when in reality i'd have done the same thing to those fucks

Old 10-28-2014, 03:54 PM   #819
Aaron
ouroboros my own lexicon

Location: blasting across the alkali flats in a jet-powered, monkey-navigated...

I don't know about "out-of-line", but it certainly was very hard to watch...and not for the actual violence, but for the implication it had. I mean...they certainly had to get revenge, but is this the world they've resigned themselves to live in? Is this the type of person Rick wants to be, despite the fact that its the person Rick probably HAS to be?

You might have handled the situation the same way, but I don't know if I would have. Hacking a human being to pieces isn't something you do without repercussions to your psyche, even on a zombie TV show.

Aaron is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-29-2015, 08:01 AM   #820
CeetjeBeetje
Brick fucking MASTER!

Yeah, so season 6 started a few weeks ago. I'm liking it so far. A bit too much of the B character that acts like a douche or moron and gets killed 5 minutes later. But then again, they totally got me off guard by  killing off Glenn 
Damn, I wonder how  Maggie will react   It's sad, I really liked Glenn 

Old 10-29-2015, 11:27 AM   #821
box elder
Forum Leader

i'm not gonna spoiler tag stuff that's already aired, but yeah i thought it was incredibly ballsy to kill off Glenn in episode 3. and not even for some noble purpose, just because he kept giving dumb ass nicholas chances.

but then the more i think about it the more i think they're going to pull some cop-out bullshit and have Glenn actually survive, and that would greatly tarnish my opinion of the show. not that i wanted Glenn to die or am happy about it, but having the slow-mo, sad music, death scene only to come back later and say "just kidding!" would place this show squarely into the melrose place, dallas-type category. aka, garbage soap operas snatching ratings with cheap ploys in place of actual good storytelling  

Old 10-30-2015, 09:05 AM   #822
eric
chairman of the board™

Quote:
Originally Posted by box elder View Post
i'm not gonna spoiler tag stuff that's already aired, but yeah i thought it was incredibly ballsy to kill off Glenn in episode 3. and not even for some noble purpose, just because he kept giving dumb ass nicholas chances.

but then the more i think about it the more i think they're going to pull some cop-out bullshit and have Glenn actually survive, and that would greatly tarnish my opinion of the show. not that i wanted Glenn to die or am happy about it, but having the slow-mo, sad music, death scene only to come back later and say "just kidding!" would place this show squarely into the melrose place, dallas-type category. aka, garbage soap operas snatching ratings with cheap ploys in place of actual good storytelling  
 hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/walking-dead-glenn-dead-producers-834509

"Dear fans of The Walking Dead, this is a hard story to tell and when we were planning to tell we knew our friends at the Talking Dead would be talking to you about it and knowing you'd all be talking, and feeling and commiserating, I knew we should say something about it lest our silence say something we didn't mean to say or not say," Gimple said in a statement. "So I'll say this: In some way, we will see Glenn, some version of Glenn or parts of Glenn again, either in flashback or in the current story to help complete the story."

if he's not already a goner, I'm ok with really bloody & bitten glenn escaping those walkers to go see maggie for a final time and then, as he turns in front of her, daryl or rick can came out from nowhere and bash his head in with a baseball bat. 

eric is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-31-2015, 12:50 AM   #823
aoife
Ichiban kunoichi, yo!

Glen is supposed to die. I was still so bummed out,even though I knew the show was going to have to do it at some point anyway. 

aoife is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-31-2015, 03:11 PM   #824
CeetjeBeetje
Brick fucking MASTER!

Quote:

I actually didn't think about this. Would be absolutely shit if this would happen.   Okay if we see him in flashbacks, but if Glenn turns out to somehow having survived that massive zombie attack - ooh, sorry. WALKER attack - I'd be very dissapointed. I really liked Glenn, but like you said, he can't come out of this shit alive.
I really expected, when Glenn and Nicholas were on that dumpster, that by some miracle they would be saved. That happens so much in this show. And they only kill off main characters in final episodes.
So the killing off Glenn in the third episode twist is really refreshing.  

Old 11-12-2015, 01:25 PM   #825
DAntae
Hardcore Boarder

I half expect glenn to have survived. this will sound off, but I want him to have the same death he receives in the comic. it would have more impact.

that said if he is already dead I am good with that as well. he tried to redeem nicholas and it did not pan out as he had hoped. solid death if it is so.

DAntae is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-12-2015, 01:53 PM   #826
box elder
Forum Leader

i've said this elsewhere, but if they pull the switcheroo and have glenn somehow survive that, it will be the cheapest, dumbest thing this show has ever done. especially now that it will have been multiple episodes before the "reveal". not that i want glenn to die, but dumb ass soap opera tactics aren't a good look for a show that purports to take itself seriously

Old 11-19-2015, 08:04 AM   #827
CeetjeBeetje
Brick fucking MASTER!

I think they handled the Maggie situation pretty good. Not at all what I expected they'd do.

The last few episode where also OK, I guess. The little side stories of individual characters is fun to watch, but it slows down the show immensely. Character building is important, but I don't think it's necessary to make an episode for every single character.

Old 11-19-2015, 10:29 AM   #828
box elder
Forum Leader

i think that was a financial decision (you don't have to pay the cast as much if each individual only appears in a few episodes a season). and i hate it. first, they have to come up with convoluted ways to split the group up all the time. and second, it slows the pace down immensely because you're telling the same story over and over basically, just from each characters perspective. and then of course you also have a 90 minute episode of the most trite garbage ever put to film with a sprinkle of white savior thrown in for good measure

Old 11-19-2015, 11:56 AM   #829
DAntae
Hardcore Boarder

I did not think of the financial angle.

they have done this before, after fleeing herschel's farm. the next season showed all the seperate stories until they met back up. I think with certain characters it can be powerful, but I think the last 3 could all have been made into one episode showing just the key points. I dunno.

so who does everyone think was on the other walkie talkie?

also I am excited about the negan casting. the guy has done a lot of tv, but I have seen his other roles and he is talented. dark days ahead for our group

Old 11-19-2015, 03:42 PM   #830
box elder
Forum Leader

gotta be glenn on the walkie

Old 11-19-2015, 03:45 PM   #831
DAntae
Hardcore Boarder

I think that is a good bet.

I was reading about when negan would get screen time. then I found a clip by accident that showed what appeared to be his signature moment from the comic. this leads me to believe that it is glenn on the walkie talkie and he will survive. while his survival will be far fetched to believe based on what we saw surrounding him, I am geeked that it looks like this next story arc will closely follow the comic.

Old 11-19-2015, 04:13 PM   #832
box elder
Forum Leader

while i agree that the comic story is great

it would make it even dumber to have this fake-out death last the entire first half of the season, only to bring glenn back right before the break, and then kill him off for real a few episodes later? what's the point? 

Old 11-19-2015, 04:14 PM   #833
box elder
Forum Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAntae View Post
they have done this before, after fleeing herschel's farm. the next season showed all the seperate stories until they met back up. I think with certain characters it can be powerful, but I think the last 3 could all have been made into one episode showing just the key points. I dunno.
it's how they've done it the last few seasons, yeah. like how everyone was split up after the prison until terminus, and then again with the hospital storyline on the way to alexandria. it just gets more and more obvious each season and also more and more contrived. like, how can we break up the gang for a whole season this time?

Old 11-19-2015, 04:24 PM   #834
DAntae
Hardcore Boarder

yeah to let glenn survive only to go out a few episodes later would be off....thats why I now think glenn survives, but negan kills someone else. perhaps darryl. perhaps morgan. I dunno.

the other big rumor is enid is the one who saves glenn.

some are so out of left field, but I do enjoy reading the theories.

just once, I would like to hear rick or darryl say lets stick together insteead of split up.

Old 11-23-2015, 12:56 PM   #835
box elder
Forum Leader

so, of course, glenn lived. this article sums up my issues with it pretty well

Quote:
it begins with the reveal of what everyone has already known for a while: Glenn is alive. As most of us figured out, all that guts-ripping was of Nicholas’ body, and Glenn manages to scoot underneath the dumpster he was previously standing on to relative safety, and then spends the night there until the zombies leave. When he crawls out, he’s thirsty, and he’s still partially covered in Nicholas juice, but that’s really the only consequences of his seeming death scene back in “Thank You.” I find this “twist” incredibly obnoxious, and not just because it seems completely implausible that none of the several hundred zombies surrounding him would fail to even just scratch him while they’re tearing Jolly Old Nick apart mere inches away from his flesh, or during his slow crawl underneath the dumpster.

I’m mainly angry because The Walking Dead cheated. It’s one thing to present something and let an audience jump to the wrong conclusion on its own, but that’s not what the end of “Thank You” was. It told the audience that Glenn was dead—not just by the deceptive camera angle that made it look like the zombies were pulling out Glenn’s intestines, but the entire scene. The slow-motion, the swelling string music—this isn’t just Glenn appearing to die, but the show telling us by the language of visual media that Glenn is dead. The show lied on a meta-narrative level, and that’s bad storytelling. The Walking Dead has cried wolf, effectively, because now whenever someone does die, and the show wants its to be tragic and meaningful, we won’t be able to trust what we’re seeing, which is going to destroy the impact of these future scenes.

Old 11-23-2015, 01:09 PM   #836
DAntae
Hardcore Boarder

I agree with almost all of that, except for the ending. this was the first okie doke they have pulled as far as a main character death. sometimes they make you wonder for a bit, because you did not see a character after breaking apart from the group, etc.

this time though they made it look like it was glenn being eaten alive. that was my main issue, if you want to leave it as a cliffhanger...dont show that angle, with that expression.

also the absurd escape under the dumpster annoyed the hell out of me.

Old 11-23-2015, 01:31 PM   #837
box elder
Forum Leader

when you say you don't agree with the ending do you mean the "now whenever someone does die, and the show wants its to be tragic and meaningful, we won’t be able to trust what we’re seeing, which is going to destroy the impact of these future scenes" part?

i agree that this show is usually extremely blunt about characters dying (see: noah), but i still do think that point has merit. next time a significant character dies, instead of just taking in the emotional impact of it, the audience is going to be tilting their heads, looking for any potential "tricks" the show might be pulling to actually have them live. and even if that only lasts for a second before the character had their face graphically bitten off, that will still affect the punch of the scene

Old 11-23-2015, 01:42 PM   #838
DAntae
Hardcore Boarder

yeah that is it. I can give everyone a mulligan of sorts. the glenn surviving certain death will not sour me or make other deaths less impactful for me as a viewer/fan. just how I feel on that particular subject.

Old 11-26-2015, 08:12 AM   #839
CeetjeBeetje
Brick fucking MASTER!

That is it, I already - before last episode - was pretty sceptic about Glenn's death. Like you explained, they made it look like he was really being murdered by those hundreds of zombies.
I was shocked at first, but after a little thought, it turned to "nah, this show doesn't have the balls to kill off Glenn"
I wish they had proven me wrong. Glenn escaping like that is lame, and I can't take the show serious anymore as drama. My suspension of belief isn't gonna cut it for that last episode. Already I had trouble sometime believing certain scenes.
But this takes the cake.
I still love the show, but now more as a popcorn zombie gorefest, instead of serious character drama.

Old 12-03-2015, 06:31 PM   #840
Channel Surfer
Hardcore Boarder

Quote:
i've said this elsewhere, but if they pull the switcheroo and have glenn somehow survive that, it will be the cheapest, dumbest thing this show has ever done. especially now that it will have been multiple episodes before the "reveal". not that i want glenn to die, but dumb ass soap opera tactics aren't a good look for a show that purports to take itself seriously
Not that I probably would disagree with you - I haven't watched anything from this season - but this is the same show that live baited Glenn down a well. The show can purport to take itself seriously all it wants, but it still does stupid shit all the time. Just maybe less so than back then.

Channel Surfer is offline   Reply With Quote

User Tag List