Boards & Rec
Old 02-09-2010, 12:01 PM   #1
gil
Hardcore Boarder

Default the walking dead

good or bad news depending on your perspective...but if it's done well, this could be fantastic.

from imagecomics.com...

Quote:
Wednesday, January 20, 2010
THE WALKING DEAD MARCH ON AMC
"Madmen" and "Breaking Bad" Network Greenlights Walking Dead Pilot

Variety reported today that Robert Kirkman and Charlie Adlard's ongoing tale of survival horror in a post-apocalyptic world, THE WALKING DEAD, has been greenlit as a pilot by AMC.

"THE WALKING DEAD's road to the small screen has been a long one, but so far it's looking like the best of all worlds," creator and writer Robert Kirkman said. "Given AMC's track record with shows like 'Madmen' and 'Breaking Bad,' combined with Frank Darabont writing and directing, I couldn't possibly be more excited for this to come together. Having the pilot greenlit is a huge leap forward to this becoming a reality."

THE WALKING DEAD has been published by Image Comics since 2003, with the series' 69th issue due in stores next week. Current plans are for the AMC series to closely adapt the storylines presented in the monthly comics.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

physics makes us all its bitches.

gil is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-05-2010, 12:42 PM   #2
gil
Hardcore Boarder

fuck yes. darabont AND casting has begun...

http://www.darkhorizons.com/news/17089

Old 05-06-2010, 08:59 PM   #3
Stackhouse
bring the noise

i am stoked for this! only read the first issue of the series, but it was great - and i think would translate real good to cable. honestly its kinda tough to fuck up a good zombie story.

Stackhouse is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-07-2010, 01:45 AM   #4
Vic
see you in the clouds

Let's do it.

Vic is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-08-2010, 02:15 PM   #5
box elder
Forum Leader

i'm not familiar with this. what kind of zombie story is it? is it more in the classic romero style or the newer shite

box elder is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 07-24-2010, 10:32 PM   #6
patrick
forever yours

Default the walking dead trailer and preair ep

AMC unveiled this lovely trailer at Comic-Con 2010. Believe it or not, this is the cut down version because Comic-Con is a "family friendly" event. Cussing is apparently okay.

i was iffy on the whole idea but this looks like it could be neat

this zombie miniseries from 2008 rules btw
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dead_Set_%28TV_series%29

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Quote:
you didn't get jordan'd unless you cried at some point
patrick is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-24-2010, 11:45 PM   #7
Samuel L Bronkowitz
old and in the way

i heard about this the other day 'cuz an old buddy of mine's kids are in it (in what capacity, i don't know). apparently this is bigger than i thought....i guess i need to keep an eye out for it.

Samuel L Bronkowitz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-24-2010, 08:40 PM   #8
qwerasdf
Banned

This looks ridiculous!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://blogs.amctv.com/the-walking-d...iler-video.php

Close your windows, lock your doors and clear your schedules. Come this Halloween, you'll have more to fear than trick-or-treaters. AMC has announced that its newest original series, The Walking Dead, will premiere on Halloween night, Sun., Oct. 31 at 10PM | 9C. The Sunday night series will debut with a 90-minute premiere episode. Subsequent episodes will be one-hour long presentations.

qwerasdf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-27-2010, 12:20 AM   #9
KING_HOMER
rap game taylor swift

28 days later ripoff

KING_HOMER is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-27-2010, 12:38 AM   #10
chris

who the fuck cares what it's ripping off

an episodic zombie tv show has been long overdue

plus, i mean, amc

chris is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-27-2010, 12:44 AM   #11
KING_HOMER
rap game taylor swift

i agree, and i wasn't writing it off or anything, but the premise is exactly the fucking same.

Old 08-27-2010, 01:54 AM   #12
box elder
Forum Leader

the guy waking up in a hospital is pretty bad, but otherwise the premise to every zombie movie/show could be called a night of the living dead rip-off (and yes i know 28dl they weren't technically "zombies")

plus, these are slow-moving zombies it looks like

box elder is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 08-27-2010, 02:30 AM   #13
Roarke
apparso come un fantasma

Quote:
Originally Posted by pecken cosgrove View Post
i agree, and i wasn't writing it off or anything, but the premise is exactly the fucking same.
both were created/written basically at the same time, the hospital bit from both is a nod to The Day of the Triffids, and if you've read the graphic novels, they're fairly different approaches to common zombie motifs.

Roarke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-27-2010, 08:32 AM   #14
mr. broom
comes from circumstances

Yeah, claims of ripoff are understandable but also incorrect. Creator of the comic book has gone to certain lengths to avoid being derivative of other contemporary works, having said he'll probably never read World War Z because he doesn't want it affecting how he writes The Walking Dead

This is one of those series I've been meaning to read and probably ought to get around to sooner rather than later, considering how good a chance this one will get constantly talked about by people I know

mr. broom is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-27-2010, 10:18 AM   #15
jordan
Hi Doggie

I'm almost caught up with all 80-something issues of Walking Dead

And just...holy shit. You guys gotta read it.

And I thought the rip off post was a joke, because it's so ridiculous. But...I guess it was serious.

The thing is: That trailer is essentially issue 1 of the comic. And issue 1 of the comic is....not the best issue. It's a good set up. But once the comic gains momentum and really gets rolling, issue 1 looks like crap.

jordan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-28-2010, 01:03 AM   #16
KING_HOMER
rap game taylor swift

very well.

Old 09-29-2010, 12:30 PM   #17
gil
Hardcore Boarder

why the fuck is there no chatter on this?? it's going to be fucking incredible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean View Post
i'm not familiar with this. what kind of zombie story is it? is it more in the classic romero style or the newer shite
hmmm...not sure what you mean. romero is the grandaddy but the genre has become pretty incredible. the graphic novel is an ongoing story of survival in a world where this has happened. it's like THE ROAD but good.

Old 09-29-2010, 12:48 PM   #18
Squelvin
cardboard horror

"alrighty then"

Squelvin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-29-2010, 01:57 PM   #19
Christopher the Chef
He was a zombie?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gil View Post
hmmm...not sure what you mean. romero is the grandaddy but the genre has become pretty incredible. the graphic novel is an ongoing story of survival in a world where this has happened. it's like THE ROAD but good.
I'm not guy's lawyer by any means but I think what he meant was will it have slow Romero's zombies or modern action-packed zombies-on-speed?

From what I saw in the trailer it seems it'll be somewhere in the between.

I think we're in for a treat.

Christopher the Chef is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-29-2010, 01:59 PM   #20
jordan
Hi Doggie

If it's at all faithful to the comic book, which it really seems to be, the zombies will be slow and fairly easy to kill.

jordan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-29-2010, 04:23 PM   #21
Kiyosuki
Profound Sadness

It's the other living survivors Rick has to watch out for the most. 

Kiyosuki is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-29-2010, 05:20 PM   #22
mr. broom
comes from circumstances

I don't like zombies but I really like The Walking Dead. Unlike 90% of zombie fare it doesn't deal as much with the immediate-survival scenario; that part of it's there but the throughline is that these people are trying to understand what the world has become and build a life in it, but at the same time you're watching them erode physically, mentally, and socially because things never let up long enough for them to find a real measure of peace. You're on tenterhooks even when no one's been attacked by a zombie recently because they're not always the most serious threat when everyone around you is traumatized and in some cases questionably sane

As a TV show this thing could play out amazingly if they do it right. The format is just about right

Old 09-29-2010, 05:34 PM   #23
Kiyosuki
Profound Sadness

Yeah that's one thing that's kept me reading the series even when it seemed like it's lost some steam here and there. I like the idea of actually showing the long-term scenerio after the immediate outbreak, and seeing how the survivors start to cope with the idea that this way of life is going to be it now for a long time, if maybe ever. I also really like seeing some of the main characters' changes as it's gone on, reverting to some twisted form of pre-industrial wilderness survival life. (or in some other survivors' cases, attempts to maintain or recreate the world that just died with often predictably mixed results.)

Carl's development's been particularly interesting. It's tough growing up in zombieland. 

Though the comic may need a change of pace soon I think...

Kiyosuki is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-29-2010, 05:42 PM   #24
gil
Hardcore Boarder

well put, both of you. nice to see some solid fanz.

Old 10-20-2010, 12:54 PM   #25
patrick
forever yours

preair first ep leaked. quality iffy but watchable
i might just wait for the 31st

http://www.megavideo.com/?d=543461RR

patrick is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-21-2010, 06:00 PM   #26
EthanRunt
I Just Want My Kids Back

Watched it last night, I'm stuck watching it online anyway, so quality wasn't a factor, thought it was great, and the tone was impressively creepy without ever being ARGH scary. Shame about the long wait to episode 2. *checks watch* Nope, still not aired...

EthanRunt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-28-2010, 04:13 AM   #27
Christopher the Chef
He was a zombie?

I was pleasantly surprised yesterday when they showed promo ad for "The Walking Dead" on our national TV. It's not very often you can't see our national TV showing something so cool!

You can see the ad at 54:02 mark.

Christopher the Chef is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-28-2010, 09:53 PM   #28
qwerasdf
Banned

So saw the leak

- The quality of the download was bad, so imagiary wise i want to wait till i watch it on Sunday.

As for the storyline and characters
- The zombies were well done
- The story was good to get you involved I fell most of this season will follow the three story-lines introduced this pilot.

I am having trouble seeing this series going more then 2 seasons though. I'll give it a couple episodes if not this season to see what happens

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordan View Post

The thing is: That trailer is essentially issue 1 of the comic. And issue 1 of the comic is....not the best issue. It's a good set up. But once the comic gains momentum and really gets rolling, issue 1 looks like crap.
This gives me hope

qwerasdf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-28-2010, 11:41 PM   #29
aoife
Ichiban kunoichi, yo!

I have book 11 and 12 left to read. I am really looking forward to this series since the graphic novels are so good.

aoife is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-29-2010, 08:50 AM   #30
mr. broom
comes from circumstances

I've read up to issue 66. I can't imagine how they'll keep everything going parallel to the comic but I look forward to finding out. Biggest problem to my mind is going to be

keeping the kids from aging to the point where they're no longer kids. The events to date have only taken a little over a year of "real" time but even with a robust shooting schedule Carl is going to get full-on adolescent too fast for them to make people believe that only a small amount of time has passed. Plus most of his development hinges on the fact that he has to grow up in some very heartbreaking ways without really getting any older, which won't work if he gets into his teens before they catch up to the comic. Assuming this show gets a fair shake and goes for several seasons, at some point they're going to have to diverge substantially from the source material to make it work 

User Tag List