Boards & Rec
Old 02-03-2013, 05:24 PM   #31
rubber cat
pineapple shoes

rubber cat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-03-2013, 05:31 PM   #32
scott

The forced apologies in caving to these PC retards might be the worst part of all of this.

Old 02-03-2013, 05:51 PM   #33
shackleton
philistine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum View Post
POC

people of color

colored people
"people of colour" is actually a well-accepted academic term for some reason

_________________________________________________________________________________________

shackleton is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-03-2013, 05:53 PM   #34
derek
貴重な体液

derek is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-03-2013, 05:57 PM   #35
scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by shackleton View Post
"people of colour" is actually a well-accepted academic term for some reason
yeah I've heard that term plenty. But calling it "POC" takes it to a whole new level of douchey.

Old 02-03-2013, 05:58 PM   #36
shackleton
philistine

i was editing this article today and this writer called black people "African American" and i cringed

Old 02-03-2013, 06:27 PM   #37
Spartan
enfranchised and entrenched

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakebert View Post
i'm currently reading a biography of george w bush and there's a part where it details his first campaign spending millions of dollars in california without anyone knowing why.

pretty amazing.
In the final weeks of the 2000 election, the campaign (Rove decision IIRC) decided to appear and stump in the state for no reason other than to get the media to speculate that they were so confident about victory that they would try to steal California.

Spartan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-03-2013, 07:54 PM   #38
rubber cat
pineapple shoes

Quote:
Originally Posted by cerulean privilege View Post
also rubber cat your avatar is seriously abusive to transcats and cats of color. by saying that cats of color are nothing more then toys your non-cat privilege is showing.
it's a real cat you rude... person (no offense to otherkin)

rubber cat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-03-2013, 08:29 PM   #39
jake
...with club sauce.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
In the final weeks of the 2000 election, the campaign (Rove decision IIRC) decided to appear and stump in the state for no reason other than to get the media to speculate that they were so confident about victory that they would try to steal California.
well it was 50% that and 50% because the bush campaign was actually really revolutionary in it's use of micro-targeting voters, but at the same time was really over-confident in how it'd work. bush actually thought he had a chance in california the way he won west virginia despite everyone in the media assuming it'd go democratic.

obviously creating the image of an inevitable victory was a part of it, but not all of it.

the other thing was the bush campaign's "50 states strategy" where they actively wanted to campaign in every single state to prove they were beyond partisanship, echoing nixon's strategy.

jake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-03-2013, 09:02 PM   #40
Spartan
enfranchised and entrenched

Okay, fine.

But it so very nearly cost them.

Spartan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-03-2013, 09:23 PM   #41
jake
...with club sauce.

sorry i was just being a nerd.

jake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-03-2013, 09:55 PM   #42
brentmoney
board sheriff

think you guys are getting a little carried away with this

sure there's a few mongoloids involved with this stuff but pretty big 'political correctness gone MAD' vibes in here

brentmoney is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-03-2013, 10:00 PM   #43
scott

This is political correctness gone wrong though. what are you talking about?

Old 02-03-2013, 10:10 PM   #44
shackleton
philistine

what other insignificant subgenres of tumblr blogs am i not even remotely aware of?

boggles the mind.

Old 02-04-2013, 01:46 AM   #45
The Sovereign
Hella wet

soft grunge is pretty terrible

The Sovereign is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-04-2013, 02:54 AM   #46
Magnum
Forum Leader

especially when it builds on your teeth

Magnum is offline   Reply With Quote
by:  pocketfox

Old 02-04-2013, 05:41 AM   #47
The Sovereign
Hella wet

The Sovereign is offline   Reply With Quote
by:  Spartan

Old 02-04-2013, 06:26 AM   #48
Aaron
ouroboros my own lexicon

Location: blasting across the alkali flats in a jet-powered, monkey-navigated...

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott View Post
silly jakebert. orange county isn't even our state's worst county.
For the record, San Diego is. Conservative asshole of the entire state, and we're right on the border for extra discrimination fun!

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Aaron is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-04-2013, 10:57 AM   #49
joe
board militant™

Quote:
Originally Posted by brentmoney View Post
think you guys are getting a little carried away with this

sure there's a few mongoloids involved with this stuff but pretty big 'political correctness gone MAD' vibes in here
Yeah, no matter how bad the left gets with this shit (and it is indeed pretty unbearable), the whole "PC gone Mad" reductionist bullshit the right will drop so callously is completely insufferable. At least we can argue over the bullshit on this blog. There is nothing to even discuss or gain from those on the right who refuse to engage in any sort of thought.

http://img.chan4chan.com/img/2010-05-26/20qx9bo.jpg
Heckling a Puppet show.

joe is offline   Reply With Quote
by:  brentmoney

Old 02-04-2013, 11:52 AM   #50
Channel Surfer
Hardcore Boarder

So which is worse? Social justice activists on tumblr or men's rights activists on reddit?

Is there a way we can have them meet too, so they can solve the real issues???

Channel Surfer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-04-2013, 01:02 PM   #51
stu
pendous

i'm generally with @joe and @brentmoney. when people i know call out some of the obviously overreaching aspects about extreme PC-ness that this thread is about i usually infer that it's their way of discrediting actual level-headed social justice initiatives via disingenuously/reductively blowing those things out of proportion. but i think people here are aware of the distinction so i don't mind having a thread about it.

stu is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-04-2013, 01:45 PM   #52
pocketfox
THAT'S MY PURSE!

I said in my initial post that I fully agree with real, level-headed social justice initiatives. In fact, I think that's how most boarders feel. Actually, in the link to "social justice" tagged posts on tumblr, some of the anti-social justice points seemed just egregious as the overly-PC ones, if not worse. I thought it would be fun, however, to explore some of the overreaching ones. I was actually curious to see if anyone would defend them, but so far, that hasn't been the case.

pocketfox is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-04-2013, 03:29 PM   #53
derek
貴重な体液

yah, the problem is how these people go about their opinion, not what their fundamental views are.

Old 02-04-2013, 03:47 PM   #54
scott

i guess it depends on what you mean by fundamental view. if you're simplifying it to say "they're against racism/sexism/bigotry," then sure, the core fundamental view is fine. but the extreme nature of some of their views (and how that manifests itself in "how they go about" their opinions) suggests flaws even in their own fundamentals. i mean, i guess at its core the tea party (if we accept they have any coherent philosophy at all), is simply a group against government waste of taxpayer money. certainly non-objectionable. but since they seem woefully ignorant of the root causes of such problems, their fundamental view itself is on pretty shaky ground. much in the same way these idiots saying white people can't contribute to a dialogue on racism with a minority under any circumstance don't seem to understand the root causes of systemic prejudice themselves.

but brent and joe are just overreaching in a thread that has an otherwise very obvious purpose. to reduce what we're saying in a way that equates it with right-wing dolts who deny these social issues outright is silly. just because there's a parallel between the problems we're discussing here, and a specific form of right-wing rhetoric does not mean we're treading close to their territory whatsoever. there is such a thing as left-wing PC dipshits taking their views to a non-constructive extreme...and taking issue with that does not put you on equal footing with the far right who outright denies social injustices to begin with.

Old 02-04-2013, 03:53 PM   #55
derek
貴重な体液

yeah, i was simplifying things and i agree with you.

Old 02-04-2013, 03:59 PM   #56
scott

Quote:

There is something fundamentally wrong with this game. I’ve already written a long discussion on how Pokemon promotes animal cruelty and violence. I will not mention it any further in this discussion.

It’s not only this game that’s promoting gender binary. The Sims is another example. It’s a popular life simulation game. I’m sorry but how can that game be a life simulator if the only options available to make a Sim are “male” and “female”?

Now back to pokemon. The game is obviously aimed at children. At a young age, they’re already teaching them about the gender binary. Game developers please stop poisoning the minds of the young and for fuck’s sake add some diversity to the game.

Thank you.
yup

Old 02-04-2013, 04:16 PM   #57
joe
board militant™

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott View Post
but brent and joe are just overreaching in a thread that has an otherwise very obvious purpose. to reduce what we're saying in a way that equates it with right-wing dolts who deny these social issues outright is silly. just because there's a parallel between the problems we're discussing here, and a specific form of right-wing rhetoric does not mean we're treading close to their territory whatsoever. there is such a thing as left-wing PC dipshits taking their views to a non-constructive extreme...and taking issue with that does not put you on equal footing with the far right who outright denies social injustices to begin with.
I think that is pretty much what Brent and I are saying. At least, that is what I was saying. I wasn't putting them on an equal footing. I was just saying that given a choice, I would take the left-wing PC thug over the right wing reductionist ignoramus.

joe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-04-2013, 04:32 PM   #58
scott

okay, but why even bother pointing that out in this thread? brent's post in particular seems to make the point that there's no validity to our sentiment, and you posted in (relative) agreement.

Old 02-04-2013, 05:11 PM   #59
adam
sweating holes in my zoot suit

i don't think there's any "pc gone mad" overtones in this thread at all. i wouldn't agree that the problem with this stuff is that it's a ridiculous extremity, i think that to imply anything is political correctness going "too far", and therefore that political correctness can go mad, is dangerous. these bloggers most often fail because what they say is simply wrong or downright absurd, it's not even on any kind of pc spectrum. taking that pokemon example, the problem isn't "pc nuts going too far", it's that the author is missing the point entirely. a game with a custom hero like pokemon allowing gender selection is clearly a good thing that's attempting to make its protagonist easier for more people to relate to, not fewer.

adam is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-04-2013, 05:23 PM   #60
benjamin
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam View Post
it's that the author is missing the point entirely. a game with a custom hero like pokemon allowing gender selection is clearly a good thing that's attempting to make its protagonist easier for more people to relate to, not fewer.
I'm not sure you've understood this, so this'll sound patronizing if you have, but the authors complaint is that it doesn't allow for people who don't identify as male or female. As if the game should be obligated to incorporate the vast spectrum of genderqueer identities into the game http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genderqueer

benjamin is offline   Reply With Quote

User Tag List