Boards & Rec
Old 05-09-2019, 03:54 AM   #511
kupomog
spring love, come back to me

I mean I don’t expect it to change. I’m just not gonna stop pointing it out when it happens no matter how long it has been happening.

Supposedly Arya would’ve had to pass through that area. I haven’t really looked further into this, though.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

kupomog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-09-2019, 11:10 AM   #512
DAntae
Hardcore Boarder

fair enough. I guess for me once I make my dislikes known I am not the type to keep going on about it. not that you guys are over the top or anything in critiques and issues with the show. I just read it much more heavily on other sites/boards and eventually get to the point where it just needs to stop for me personally.

as for Arya, I thought she made it through a 'shortcut' after escaping into the room with Hound and others. I just made the leap there was a back way out or a hidden way to make it to the final confrontation. these are the kind of things that if happened irk me more than the cliches the show uses often.

just like last season when scenes were cut with Bran that would have showed he had already told Sansa and Arya about Littlefinger's plan. sure some mystery is cool, but to omit pretty important info like that was just lazy.

see now I am piling on.

DAntae is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-09-2019, 12:54 PM   #513
box elder
Forum Leader

well for one thing i've been saying this show sucks for like 4 years and only now are most people finally realizing it so let me have my moment! also as someone who read and loves the books, it's too frustrating to just keep my mouth shut when the show is not just lazy and poorly written, but also misses the point of this story on pretty much every level. they think shocking=good and that's literally the only artistic driving force. and as kupo mentioned, it's also hard to just enjoy the ride when they can't seem to stop themselves from propagating tired sexist tropes over and over again.

in any case, buckle up, because it's definitely only going to get worse from here. even the cast can't say this shit is good with a straight face

box elder is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-09-2019, 02:49 PM   #514
DAntae
Hardcore Boarder

haha ok. I started it 3 seasons later after its start. so I noticed the dip in quality pretty quickly since I binged, but the show still does not suck (in my opinion). does it fall short of seasons 1-4?..of course, but we will just disagree on the level of its decline, but yes it not close to what it was originally. thats how so much popular media goes though, pander to people and just go with what has always worked. I will say the writing was never great even from the beginning, but as I have finished some of the books I see they stayed closer to that tone for a bit.

very much as we have discussed in the walking dead thread, this feels disjointed much the same. once the popularity crossed over from just normal flavor of the week to all out fandom the 'dumb' really rolls in. much like with the walking dead I appreciate the universe and will just treat them separate and far from equal.

Old 05-10-2019, 01:47 PM   #515
kupomog

The show was certainly more tolerable and savory when they were going off book content that laid things out for them, so all they had to add was extra sex and violence where they wanted.

Old 05-11-2019, 06:40 PM   #516
box elder
Forum Leader

yeah i mean, it's really poorly written. like, worse than walking dead. at least on walking dead they don't generally have to literally tell the audience how they should feel about characters by having other characters say what we're supposed to think about them when it's not at all supported by the text

Old 05-12-2019, 04:09 AM   #517
kelly
life is a roofie circle

the worst thing about this show are the "behind the episode" segments that autoplay when the episodes end.

if you weren't actually watching the episode that you just finished watching, and/or you'd like to watch the showrunners mansplain what happened during the episode on a very surface level basis, you might check it out.

also i just learned about "confederate", and yikes...

kelly is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-12-2019, 04:11 AM   #518
kelly
life is a roofie circle

with all of that said i do relate to DAn's sentiments. there's two (?) episodes left, and i have every intention of enjoying the hell out of them, even if they don't meet my expectations.

Old 05-13-2019, 02:12 PM   #519
kupomog

I ain't trying to stop anyone from enjoying anything but also no one should be surprised I didn't like last night's ep very much lol

And yet it was probably one of the better eps of this very short season I guess

Qyburn's exit had me lol'n

Old 05-13-2019, 04:17 PM   #520
DAntae
Hardcore Boarder

best part of everything is that Tyrion is now the tallest Lannister.

for discussion however I was entertained but while I enjoy gore and the battle scenes, the burning alive of innocent people after the first couple of shots was just overkill for me. So the mad queen shit happened, really was hoping for a misdirection.

Hound/Mountain could have been a highlight but that just felt really flat, until the fall portion. I did lose my shit laughing when Cersei just creeped on by before the fight sequence.

my favorite moment from the entire episode was the couple of minutes of Tyrion/Jaime, I really wish this relationship would have been featured more throughout the shows run.

Old 05-14-2019, 03:38 PM   #521
box elder
Forum Leader

yeah it's almost not even worth shitting on at this point and i don't have the motivation to do so, so i'll just link to this video where he covers most of my grievances with it (though his style can be slightly grating at times -- the super annoying stuff only lasts the first like 10 seconds so bear with it)

Old 05-14-2019, 04:17 PM   #522
kupomog

I'm not book snobs like they are but I rarely disagree with their thoughts:

https://www.thefandomentals.com/back...d-bad-writing/

That said, the internet still has me in stitches this week

Old 05-15-2019, 11:08 AM   #523
DAntae
Hardcore Boarder

so, anything you all liked about the last episode?

Old 05-15-2019, 01:44 PM   #524
kupomog

Well Qyburn dying was hilariously sudden so there's that.

Otherwise uhhhh Tyrion and Jamie saying bye to each other was the best, most earned moment of the episode.

Everything else happened. If I have to pinpoint something good, it was the tension felt when the two armies met on the ground. After that though eh.

Oh yeah Westorosi fuckboi Euron Margera is dead so that's good.

Old 05-15-2019, 01:52 PM   #525
box elder
Forum Leader

about the writing/story? honestly no. i mean, it's still wonderfully shot and executed in many ways, and a lot of the acting is brilliant (ironically, i think amelia clarke is great this season when i've found her mostly mediocre previously). but it's just so obvious that they don't care about the characters and their arcs or meaningful thematic resolution at all. they wanted #cleganebowl because it's BADASS and was something fans wanted, but it basically ruined sandor's arc. after everything, it's still just about revenge and violence for him i guess. jaime effectively had no arc over the series. arya needed to be told her arc by sandor instead of, you know, learning and growing or something, but then she wouldn't have been in king's landing for no discernible reason. etc etc. it's all about the shock value. arya kills the night king even though thematically it makes no sense because OMG SHOCKING. jaime reverts to his episode 1 character i guess because they couldn't think of any other way to give cersei a meaningful death? or maybe they needed another BADASS battle to kill off euron? it's just plotted like it's written by 8th graders

Old 05-15-2019, 10:01 PM   #526
kupomog

Yeah the show LOOKS good at least.

This is a great shot of Cleganebowl

Old 05-16-2019, 04:00 PM   #527
DAntae
Hardcore Boarder

that is a great shot.

the writing has been even lazier. no real excuses for that, I mean you can do anything since now is all uncharted territory. yes they need to create reason for characters to be in certain places for the shock moments, or the few truly good interactions/moments. this is how so many great series go though, when you take on something as massive as this world, you have to know the endgame from the beginning. it is clear a lot of this is off the fly.

that said I am excited with anticipation for Sunday.

Old 05-16-2019, 07:57 PM   #528
box elder
Forum Leader

Lmfao

https://youtu.be/bJkg-p2K3eI

Old 05-16-2019, 08:47 PM   #529
kupomog

Oh those silly bells

Old 05-20-2019, 08:44 AM   #530
DAntae
Hardcore Boarder

@kelly ...I really wanted to just enjoy the end ride (like I previously posted)...but that was by far the worst part of the story told, last night was just dreadful. I am one of those types who rarely complains but so much, but yeah this sucked.

I was cool with the ending for most of the characters in reference to Sansa, Arya and Jon. I liked that they all got something good out of everything at the end. However, dudes; BRAN? Come on. So if he can see everything, why did he not stop what happened at King's Landing? Was he responsible, by warging, or was he just that much of an asshole he let thousands of innocents die by saying nothing?

Why did Greyworm not kill Jon on first sight, or Tyrion? Were Sansa and the armies on the way? I assume it takes more than 3 weeks to get from Winterfell, but again who really knows. Why was Gendry not even mentioned for King? Why did no one else want independence aside from the North? When Greyworm tells Tyrion to not speak, but then goes on and delivers a speech. Sam introducing democracy, only to be laughed off. then they do it anyway.

Yay John gets to go with the free folk and I assume be the king/leader. I liked that. just not the way we got there.

I mean, I just wanted something better as a sendoff. nothing that had to be amazing, and even if Bran has to be the ruler; ok. just give me something more to show why he should be.

A good story, hell almost every character has a better story than him, memories withstanding.

sean, amber...go to it.

Old 05-20-2019, 02:28 PM   #531
kupomog

Man Robyn Arryn is such a big boy full of breast milk now

I agree Drogon, fuck that dumb throne

Old 05-20-2019, 02:28 PM   #532
kupomog

Bring on a spin off about Arya dear god pls

Old 05-20-2019, 11:16 PM   #533
kupomog

I mean they probably just chose Bran bc he has his own mobile throne and the other is melted AF

Old 05-21-2019, 02:33 PM   #534
DAntae
Hardcore Boarder

they plan to form it into the iron ramp. (I know this joke is all over the place)

Old 05-21-2019, 06:32 PM   #535
kupomog

An iron ramp fitting for Bran the Broken, king with tHe BeSt StOrY unlike any of his living siblings, aaahhhhh.

Old 05-22-2019, 01:47 PM   #536
DAntae
Hardcore Boarder

so Bran really started everything. He put Sam up to telling Jon...knowing the chain of events it would set into motion. like maybe if Tyrion and Jon never knew they would have been able to handle Dany differently and she may have approached taking king's landing differently. warning the ships about the giant bow and arrows, would have saved Missandei and a dragon. Bran is the ultimate piece of shit.

Also why did Sansa say he could not have children? did he criple his dick as well?

Old 05-22-2019, 04:50 PM   #537
box elder
Forum Leader

also, even if he can't (which is definitely not just a given with leg paralysis), how the fuck would she know that?

i know i've said this before, but this was seriously like some bad fanfic. everyone is ready to kill tryion and then he...just starts giving a big monologue and basically handpicking the next king? and what in the entire fuck has bran ever done to make anyone think he'd be a good ruler anyway? just creepily being emotionless and not helping people out when he easily could? in fact, hasn't he been insisting for years that he's not even bran anymore? like, i know you're joking about him manipulating this whole thing just to become king, but honestly that's about the only way any of this makes any sense

Old 05-22-2019, 11:13 PM   #538
kelly
life is a roofie circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAntae View Post
@kelly ...I really wanted to just enjoy the end ride (like I previously posted)...but that was by far the worst part of the story told, last night was just dreadful. I am one of those types who rarely complains but so much, but yeah this sucked.
yeah, i'm with you.

it was a letdown, for sure. not just this episode but the season as a whole.

Old 05-23-2019, 12:50 AM   #539
kupomog

You can’t deny this show didn’t give us goodies, though. Not just memes, but general moments, scenery, music, the actors especially (I loooove all the ladies of this show so much). I appreciate it for that but I think it is lot more flawed than I realized at times mostly due to these dopey writers. I’m terrified for their take on Star Wars material.

That said @Dantae I lol’d when she said that because damn way to call a paralyzed boy out..

I am curious as to Bran suddenly gaining something of a personality the moment he is to be King. They made him a bit too mysterious this whole time for me to think being King was his plan. I guess I have to assume Bran knows things and this shall lead to something else for the story if people wish it so.

I do wonder what the spin offs will be specifically based around.

Old 05-24-2019, 09:23 AM   #540
box elder
Forum Leader

hey remember how bran warged back in time and gave hodor brain damage? and then not only was there never any reflection on his part about what he did (or the death of hodor at all), but that whole ability/plot point just never came up again? like, i know everyone is (amazingly and suddenly) saying this now, but these guys seriously just don't know how to write a story. in fact, that hodor backstory feels like the last of grrm's finger prints on the show; because that was genuinely weird and interesting. and everything since then has been "what's the easiest and dumbest way we can get from A to B to C with as little effort as possible"

User Tag List