Boards & Rec
Old 07-29-2014, 07:48 PM   #31
scott
He's a Dick!

wait you're bragging that you won a consolation bracket that two seconds ago you said was stupid?

but here you are deciding that the consolation bracket doesn't count for draft order, even though said decision just-so-happens to benefit you. hmmmmm...

_________________________________________________________________________________________

scott is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-29-2014, 08:38 PM   #32
eric
chairman of the board™

one vote for contracting jared from the league

eric is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-29-2014, 08:38 PM   #33
Jared
6ft. 180

:rollseyes:

_________________________________________________________________________________________

R is among the most menacing of sounds. That's why they call it murder, not muckduck.

Jared is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-29-2014, 09:19 PM   #34
scott
He's a Dick!

no, but seriously...the decision was made last year to play by head-to-head rules for the 2013 season. and that means going with the final retarded standings, however retarded they may be. why discard that bracket as part of the standings if it's part of the league format that was chosen, other than discarding it gives you personal benefit? we're not discarding the winner's bracket in deference to the final regular season standings, too, are, we?

Old 07-29-2014, 09:26 PM   #35
Jared
6ft. 180

I don't even care about that, I was just throwing my two cents out there regarding the consolation bracket that obviously you didn't even know existed, in fact when I said that, I didn't even know it benefited me to throw it away.

The "suck it" was entirely tongue in cheek as I don't even remember nor care about that game.

Use the consolation standings, or don't, it matters not to me.

Old 07-29-2014, 09:28 PM   #36
scott
He's a Dick!

i wouldn't have cared about the bracket/draft ordering if you hadn't said the 'suck it' part, so uh..."suck it," indeed, shmuck.

sorry, you choose the shitty head to head, we go by the shitty head to head for draft ordering. only thing that makes sense.

which is why, in the future, we should always do points.

Old 07-29-2014, 10:10 PM   #37
burnin'
To the book depository!

The draft order will reflect the final standings after the brackets.

burnin' is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-29-2014, 10:14 PM   #38
burnin'
To the book depository!

eric
pat
scott
jared

H2H: 4

smyce
mikel
brandon
cash kerouac

Keeper: 2

pat
jared

No Keeper: 2

mikel
cash kerouac

No preference: 3

eric
brandon
scott

so i'd like some votes from @kimpantaloons @DAntae @pocketfox on these and about keepers from @smyce

Old 07-29-2014, 11:43 PM   #39
Cash Kerouac
Hardcore Boarder

Just FYI, I'll be on my honeymoon from 8/29-9/10. I'd obviously prefer to do the draft before then, but I understand if people want to wait until after the last preseason games.

"Did you exchange, a walk on part in a war, for a lead role in a cage?"

Cash Kerouac is offline   Reply With Quote
by:  burnin', eric

Old 07-30-2014, 04:56 PM   #40
eric
chairman of the board™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cash Kerouac View Post
Just FYI, I'll be on my honeymoon from 8/29-9/10.
hey, congrats dude

Old 07-30-2014, 08:53 PM   #41
eric
chairman of the board™

ok I've finally joined

by:  Oatpay

Old 07-30-2014, 10:00 PM   #42
burnin'
To the book depository!

Ok eric, you can find a person to replace Strider now, I still haven't heard from him.

As of right now no rules are set to be changed because voting is tied.

Old 07-31-2014, 12:14 PM   #43
burnin'
To the book depository!

got a hold of strider, he's not coming back but sends you guys his regards.

Old 07-31-2014, 09:09 PM   #44
box elder
Forum Leader

in 4 strider

box elder is offline   Reply With Quote
by:  eric, Oatpay

Old 08-01-2014, 03:01 AM   #45
kimpantaloons
bobby sherman?!?

sorry I'm not working this week so that means boarding is set aside

h2h but I guess I'll try points?
don't care bout keepers

kimpantaloons is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-01-2014, 09:59 AM   #46
box elder
Forum Leader

how do you do points, by the way? i've only ever been in h2h leagues but i've always thought it was lame. is it just whoever has the most total points at the end of the season? i always felt like the fairest way would be to go week-to-week still (with wins and losses), but instead of random h2h matches where you could have the second most points and still lose, it would just award a win to the top half in points and a loss to the bottom half. that way it makes each week matter and would reward a team that was consistently good all season, instead of being terrible one week but racking up points a couple times to take the overall lead. but i don't know if that's a thing that exists or not

Old 08-01-2014, 02:43 PM   #47
scott
He's a Dick!

a points league DOES reward someone who is consistently good. no one ever wins a points/roto league with a couple of good weeks. those are the teams that finish somewhere near the middle of the pack. assigning W/L (even partially) on the basis of scheduling isn't any sort of "fair." it's putting the fate of the week LARGELY in the hands of a totally arbitrary scheduling system. partial credit for a W/L record wouldn't reward consistency, anyway. as i've seen (and we had last year), plenty of people regularly get wins in a given week where their point total wasn't good enough to beat a single other team but the one they faced, and others lost despite their point total being better than every team but the one they faced. happens A LOT.

as we've said before, the reason anything H2H related is so stupid is because there's no ACTUAL head-to-head element to it. you are scoring points, but the points you're "allowing" have literally ZERO to do with anything you can control. if it were even possible to do such a thing, head-to-head would only ever work if you were matching up against opponents in a way that you could control points score and points allowed. as is, you're at the mercy of the scheduling system otherwise. our first place team last year was outscored by 5 of the 11 other teams, for example.

other than allowing some extremely minor degree extra of shit-talking (which is a non-existent thing in this fragmented league of non-boarders, anyway), there's just no advantage to H2H over the course of the season, ESPECIALLY if i'm going to be spending money on something out of my control.

Old 08-01-2014, 03:22 PM   #48
box elder
Forum Leader

i'm not sure you read my post right, unless you were just railing against head to head on a separate tangent. to be clear, i don't like head to head for all the reasons you mentioned. but i also think having the person with the most total points over the course of the season isn't the best alternative. because it makes each week fairly useless and you could end up with someone so far ahead by week 14 or whatever that the rest of the season is pointless. i don't think it's unfair to reward the top half scorers a win and the bottom half a loss on a week-to-week basis. i know that still comes down to "what other people scored" to some degree, but if you can't score in the top half of the league you don't deserve a win. and anyway, i think there'd be like a 90% chance in that system that the person with the most total points would win it all anyway. i'm also not totally against keeping a championship game between 1 and 2 (which would no longer be random) and have the title go to the winner. you can say that's still luck (if, say, one guy's best player goes out with an injury in the first quarter), but it adds some suspense at least. and anyway real sports come down to luck sometimes too

Old 08-01-2014, 05:48 PM   #49
scott
He's a Dick!

the last part was a separate tangent, yes. it was primarily directed at the total non-posters like smyce or cash voting for a bullshit system that doesn't make even a little bit of sense.

you've clearly never played points (which i know you said), because it's impossibly rare to have one team rush way out ahead in the first few weeks to a degree that it negates the rest of the season. that would ONLY work if they continued the pace through the entire season, or else they'd be caught up to as quickly as they gained the lead. and if they continue that pace through the entire season? well, then they clearly built a better team than anyone else in the league, and tough shit.

real sports does come down to some degree of luck. but when you play someone head to head in real sports, you're also RESPONSIBLE for the points being allowed. i just don't see, in your scenario, the benefit to trying to put some sort of weight on the week-to-week proceedings under the pretense that it's more "fair." the idea that week-to-week doesn't matter in a points league is totally false, anyway. it's just like head-to-head in that regard: you can have a couple of bad weeks and still survive, but if you fail consistently, your team will, too. and if you succeed consistently, your team will, too. and barring some sort of unprecedented historic explosion of a fantasy week for someone, coupled with the greatest draft in fantasy history, and the worst for everyone else, there's no team that is going to win the entire league on the strength of one week, or even 2 or 3 or 4.

Old 08-02-2014, 11:03 AM   #50
eric
chairman of the board™

no draft date yet?

BTW I can't participate in a draft on the 25th or 26th (monday & tuesday).

Old 08-04-2014, 08:38 PM   #51
DAntae
Hardcore Boarder

I promise if given ownership, the league will not be moved to Canada.

also down for points. best way to determine overall winner. head to head is only fun when you can beat scott.

DAntae is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-05-2014, 11:52 AM   #52
burnin'
To the book depository!

The new format will be points. There doesn't seem to be much interest in keepers so the league will not be a keeper league.

So, draft date: When is the best time/day of the week for everyone so that we can include the most people as possible. I was thinking 10pm (eastern) on a week day. Any suggestions?

by:  eric

Old 08-05-2014, 12:08 PM   #53
Jared
6ft. 180

10PM EST on Mon-Thurs works just fine for me.

Old 08-05-2014, 12:13 PM   #54
mikel
Has the mark of Cain

if that's the time mondays and wednesdays are the best for me

mikel is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-05-2014, 04:17 PM   #55
Oatpay
razor burnz

again, any night theoretically would be fine for me (10pm eastern is perfect), as long as we have a date settled within a week or two of that date so i can make sure i don't work that night

Oatpay is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-05-2014, 11:25 PM   #56
Cash Kerouac
Hardcore Boarder

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric View Post
hey, congrats dude
Thanks!

Cash Kerouac is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-06-2014, 07:53 AM   #57
eric
chairman of the board™

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnin' View Post
So, draft date: When is the best time/day of the week for everyone so that we can include the most people as possible. I was thinking 10pm (eastern) on a week day. Any suggestions?
wednesday the 27th at 10 PM? or the night after, while @Cash Kerouac is packing for his honeymoon.

Old 08-06-2014, 10:49 AM   #58
Jared
6ft. 180

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric View Post
wednesday the 27th at 10 PM?
Seconded

Prob won't have access to the internet if it's Thursday the 28th

by:  eric

Old 08-06-2014, 12:54 PM   #59
box elder
Forum Leader

so, am i in this?

if so, i'll likely be on second shift on the 27th and won't be off work until 11. so i'll probably have to either do the early rounds at work (if i'm able) and go to auto-draft when i leave, or auto-draft the early rounds (ugh) and pick it up when i get home

this will be true for every week night so i'm not asking people schedule around me

Old 08-06-2014, 01:13 PM   #60
Jared
6ft. 180

Fwiw, I think sean should def be in this league.

And also, i remember a few people had problems with the yahoo draft app losing connection last year (scott and cash i think?).

We could draft the early or late rounds via the board over the course of a week or so and the use a chatroom to finish up the rest.

User Tag List