Boards & Rec
Old 11-08-2010, 11:47 AM   #61
brentmoney
board sheriff

i'm glad they didn't use the grenade in the episode, would have felt like a cheap plot device

i enjoyed the episode. i thought the character who got handcuffed on the roof was sort of obnoxious though

brentmoney is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-08-2010, 12:13 PM   #62
fritz
^_______^

it's more of a flat-out plot device than "cheap," since it really would've made sense for him to use it in multiple situations. it's actually more "cheap" that it's being saved for a future episode

overall, much weaker than the first week, but that was to be expected, what with darabont not directing it (meaning it lost almost all of its dramatic sense). it was basically just an introduction of far too many characters in a hour-long span that are obviously going to get killed off

but it was still fun as hell

fritz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-09-2010, 03:48 PM   #63
Kiyosuki
Profound Sadness

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordan View Post
Huh, all I kept thinking last night is how completely unlike the comic it was. Almost none of last night's episode happened in the comic, including all of those characters
Sorry, I was actually talking about the first episode which is all I'd seen at that time.

I don't have much of an issue with them changing at least a few things or adding some stuff in, they have to spread it out a bit. To me having a bunch of characters show up only to be killed off kind of in it's own way sets the tone for the story from here on out. Just total fleetingness, where almost nothing or nobody is permanent, since Rick has to go from a man of law to a constantly on the go survivalist. It is a kind of filler certainly, but if things went exactly like the comic the episode would have been a lot shorter probably. Glenn surviving is all that mattered.

It looks like next week he's reuniting with Lori, Carl, and the others. That's when things start to get really take off since it begins to introduce the dual conflict of not only the zombie apocalypse, but how the survivors themselves start to change into something more unpredictable. Even if they did...kinda pretty up Shane a bit.

Kiyosuki is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-09-2010, 05:28 PM   #64
mr. broom
comes from circumstances

I was worried about the prettying-up; not everyone is supposed to be good-looking. I think they did a decent job of casting characters who look like regular people... at least insofar as TV is ever capable of that. Definitely above-average looks for this cast re: the general population, but below-average for TV

mr. broom is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-09-2010, 08:31 PM   #65
Squelvin
cardboard horror

I just don't understand why the main character is played by a British actor. it was noticeable to the point of looking up to see if he was British.

Squelvin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-09-2010, 08:36 PM   #66
jordan
Hi Doggie

huh wow I didn't notice that at all

jordan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-09-2010, 08:54 PM   #67
Chapel
Hardcore Boarder

So I've been reading the comic since... well since I said "Damn it... what the hell?" I wasn't going to read it before the tv series. I'd heard plenty of good things, but not until they were serious about putting a lot of good work into a good tv series did I consider reading it. Zombies aren't inherently my thing and I think Crossed ruined horror comics for me a bit. I'll get over that because I really like it. About 1/3 of the way through it in the past couple days.

I plan on streaming the first two episodes late tonight if anyone is up for it. I haven't watched yet.

So Rick is a British actor? Can a British actor do a convincing southern drawl?

_________________________________________________________________________________________

"So this planet is completely uninhabited?"
"No, it's inhabited by robots."
"Oh... like the way a warehouse is inhabited by boxes?"

Chapel is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-09-2010, 09:14 PM   #68
Squelvin
cardboard horror

he's only had a small handful of British slip-ups. the rest is just a TV-dramatic American accent, with an extra drawl the 20% of the time that it sounds right to do it.

he's not bad by any means, and it's not at all distracting (unless you're focusing on it). I just don't see why you'd end up with a British actor is all. is it like a cute/impressive thing to say you did?

Squelvin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-10-2010, 01:13 AM   #69
Chapel
Hardcore Boarder

Typical. Well I don't imagine it being that big of a deal. More about quality of the acting otherwise, really. I can't wait to watch. I hope they don't pull too many punches.
 Especially what happens to most of Hershel's family 

Not that I'm some kind of sicko or anything.

You know what I think I love about The Walking Dead? It's so very, very... NOT Image Comics. This is a company that built its reputation, originally, on ostentatious shit like Spawn and Gen13. I'm glad a lot of their readership were turned off by how subdued TWD is.

EDIT: Just watched. Normally, I nitpick changes between media presentations of the same story, but I have no loyalty to Kirkman's book before now and I simply appreciate it as what it is. What they did for this series on their own is still very fun.  I really don't like how intense the affair between Shane/Lori is, but I suppose that will draw viewers in quicker when you've only 6 episodes to work with. It makes Lori really unlikeable but if they keep with how Shane dies it'll be even more satisfying. 

The make-up is great and I really enjoy the acting. Can't say much for the sets but occasionally the areas look really good, I'm sure some of it is CG but the CG is used to great effect so far. Sometimes blood splatter looks a little fake (as in it looks like it's at a different resolution than the rest of the scene, somehow) but hey... screw it.

I could tell ep.2 was different. Didn't realize it was a different director but I really see it. It was for the best really. I liked it and it needed a bit more energy in this particular episode.

Old 11-18-2010, 01:40 AM   #70
i'mbatman

The comicbook's great, I just hope they got enough of a budget to make good quality, which it doesn't seem so by looking at the trailer. Could have put at least one well-known actor..

_________________________________________________________________________________________

I moved here from Canada, and they think I'm slow, eh?

i'mbatman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-18-2010, 03:26 AM   #71
Cash Kerouac
Hardcore Boarder

Just caught up with the last few episodes and I'm really enjoying this so far. The first episode was amazing the second and third have been good as well.

"Did you exchange, a walk on part in a war, for a lead role in a cage?"

Cash Kerouac is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-18-2010, 09:50 AM   #72
jordan
Hi Doggie

I'm still enjoying it, but I'm really bored by the red neck asshole characters who don't act in any reasonable way at all. It seems like they're setting up assholes just so they can be killed gloriously...whereas in the comic, it's brutal because the characters who die are usually the good, decent ones. But who knows.

Also why on earth would not having big name actors in the show be a deterrent from watching it at all? Why would anyone care? The casting should reflect the characters, not who's most famous.

Old 11-18-2010, 11:30 AM   #73
bmac
something something haha funny

i'm not not really sure why amc only ordered a six episode first season, especially since they've already renewed it for another 13 episodes. they better leave us with something amazing by the end of episode six because right now i can't really say i'm hooked yet.

bmac is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-18-2010, 11:45 AM   #74
jordan
Hi Doggie

The budget (huge ensemble cast, tons of extras, shooting on film) probably scared AMC, and they said they were not expecting this level of success or ratings. But yeah, I agree...I am hoping the season finale really fucks shit up.

Old 11-18-2010, 05:40 PM   #75
pepper
почему

Quote:
Originally Posted by i'mbatman View Post
The comicbook's great, I just hope they got enough of a budget to make good quality, which it doesn't seem so by looking at the trailer. Could have put at least one well-known actor..
that is not necessarily how quality works
they could have hired hayden christensen and it definitely would not have improved the series in any way

pepper is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-18-2010, 08:47 PM   #76
mr. broom
comes from circumstances

Putting well-known actors in a scenario where you're supposed to feel like anyone could die is about as counterproductive as casting gets

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordan View Post
I'm still enjoying it, but I'm really bored by the red neck asshole characters who don't act in any reasonable way at all. It seems like they're setting up assholes just so they can be killed gloriously...whereas in the comic, it's brutal because the characters who die are usually the good, decent ones. But who knows.
That's not really true. The rain falls on the good and the wicked alike in the comic. Sometimes it's more of one and sometimes it's more of the other, but in the overall picture you end up with just a lot of people getting killed, period

mr. broom is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-18-2010, 10:40 PM   #77
jordan
Hi Doggie

I don't know, all I can think of from the comic are all the innocent people who get horribly killed...a couple villainous characters get their comeuppance but...

Old 11-19-2010, 02:21 AM   #78
Chapel
Hardcore Boarder

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepper View Post
that is not necessarily how quality works
they could have hired hayden christensen and it definitely would not have improved the series in any way

Waitwaitwaitwait....wait...

Hayden Christensen eaten by zombies?

FUND IT

Old 11-21-2010, 11:49 PM   #79
patrick
forever yours

the first ep was really tense and since then it's just a soap opera with zombies. i'm half watching tonights episode

zzzzzz

haha the last 5 mins were good. pretty much like last weeks
worthless outside of the last 10 mins

Quote:
you didn't get jordan'd unless you cried at some point
patrick is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-22-2010, 01:05 AM   #80
jordan
Hi Doggie

Uhh tonight's episode was fucking great all around

Old 11-22-2010, 01:45 AM   #81
Dave Shutton
Thundercougerfalconbird

well now they don't gotta worry about those background extras at the camp

Dave Shutton is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-22-2010, 06:33 AM   #82
qwerasdf
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick View Post
the first ep was really tense and since then it's just a soap opera with zombies. i'm half watching tonights episode

zzzzzz

haha the last 5 mins were good. pretty much like last weeks
worthless outside of the last 10 mins
Agree but it was better then the Futurama special

qwerasdf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-24-2010, 06:58 AM   #83
scott
He's a Dick!

love the show so far, but so fucking annoyed by how easily a couple of characters got chomped at the end of episode 4 by an underwhelmingly small group of zombies. watching amy get her arm bitten (nevermind her neck since it was already too late at that point anyway) by a single slow as fuck zombie like it was happening in slow motion was just 'tarded. she opened the door to the RV and just stared down this decrepit thing for 10 minutes before it finally grabbed her. just ugh.

also, why wouldn't a group of paranoid survivors camped out in the exposed outdoors put up some kind of perimeter warning system? like cans tied to a rope or something simple? c'mon now.

scott is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-24-2010, 07:03 AM   #84
Kiyosuki
Profound Sadness

let's be nice now they're from Atlanta.

Old 11-24-2010, 07:14 AM   #85
scott
He's a Dick!

exactly. hillbillies should be more resourceful than some white suburbanite like me.

Old 11-24-2010, 02:54 PM   #86
jordan
Hi Doggie

I could be mistaken but I recall seeing a quick shot of a rope with cans on it somewhere in the woods

Old 11-24-2010, 05:00 PM   #87
scott
He's a Dick!

not a very good job then if no one heard a damn thing.

Old 11-24-2010, 05:13 PM   #88
jordan
Hi Doggie

Hey I was just glad there were zombies in the episode at all

Old 11-24-2010, 07:20 PM   #89
Kiyosuki
Profound Sadness

maybe they use the kids as the alarm system, I mean it's worked so far.

I wish the season were a bit longer too, this is such a comparably small part of even the first part of the comic that while I like the atmosphere building, I wish we could speed things up a bit because there's so many great scenes later and even the drama between people gets a bit more interesting, I agree they're kind of dragging some of this a bit.

Old 12-01-2010, 02:14 AM   #90
patrick
forever yours

hopefully they hire some good writers

I hear The Walking Dead writer/ executive producer/ director Frank Darabont has let go of the writers on the hot freshman AMC series, which has already renewed for a second season. That includes Darabont's No.2, writing executive producer Charles “Chic” Eglee. Writer turnover on series between seasons is commonplace but wholesale overhauls are unusual. What's more, I hear Darabont is looking to forgo having a writing staff for the second season of Walking Dead altogether and assign scripts to freelancers. Darabont, who hails from the feature world with The Young Indiana Jones as the only series credit before Walking Dead, ended up writing 2 of the first season's 6 episodes of Walking Dead - the pilot and the second episode - and co-writing/rewriting the other 4. Two of those 4 were written by non-staff writers, one by executive producer Robert Kirkman, on whose comics the series is based, and one by Glen Mazzara. The freelance model is employed by the Starz/BBC series Tourchwood, which in turn borrowed it from the U.K. where the show originated. Having BBC as producer has allowed Torchwood to proceed with no writing staff but I hear such a plan on an U.S.-based series such as Walking Dead may face issues with the Writers Guild.

http://www.deadline.com/2010/11/the-...-for-season-2/

patrick is offline   Reply With Quote

User Tag List