Boards & Rec
Old 04-24-2018, 02:46 PM   #451
kupomog
spring love, come back to me

Ugh Jordan Peterson is awful.

Will just leave this here.

https://www.reddit.com/r/enoughpeter...rdan_peterson/

_________________________________________________________________________________________

kupomog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-24-2018, 07:48 PM   #452
black mozart
quite stylish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Strongo View Post
I've been watching a lot of Jordan Peterson videos lately, the guy is really smarts and make a lot of sense. He has a lot to say about how hardcore leftist politics and the Social Justice agenda has seeped into academia at a ubiquitous level. This video is worth a watch.

lol

black mozart is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-25-2018, 09:17 AM   #453
prince jafar allah
"..."

huge win in the battle of ideas

prince jafar allah is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-25-2018, 11:30 AM   #454
Magnum
Forum Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by KING_HOMER View Post
oh god i forgot

dying

Magnum is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-07-2019, 01:09 AM   #455
chris

This thread is just 6 years old and itís already so antiquated as to legit startle me to read.

Oh and hi.

chris is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-07-2019, 09:44 AM   #456
benjamin
-

I will not read back through this thread as I'm too terrified.

benjamin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-07-2019, 01:49 PM   #457
brody
I'm the real Lance

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjamin View Post
fuckin' soyboys committing white genocide in my videogames. #MAGA

_________________________________________________________________________________________

brody is offline   Reply With Quote
by:  benjamin, chris

Old 04-07-2019, 02:05 PM   #458
brody
I'm the real Lance

lol @ people getting shook at "cis" terminology

Old 04-08-2019, 02:45 PM   #459
box elder
Forum Leader

yeah i'm definitely not gonna dig through this whole thread, but just that first page is a doozy. derek being shocked, simply *shocked* that he would dare get pushback for casually calling people r****ds

box elder is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-08-2019, 04:08 PM   #460
comeau
go to work wasted

pre good discussion on when it is and isn't okay to use the f-slur that went on for quite a few posts a few pages in

comeau is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-09-2019, 12:46 AM   #461
arii
oh, heyyy,

oh man clicking on the previous page and seeing how it started off is enough to make me not want to revisit this ever again

arii is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 04-09-2019, 07:10 AM   #462
CeetjeBeetje
Brick fucking MASTER!

I absolutely do not understand what's going on with people these days. It seems everybody feels the need to stick with their "group" and demonize anyone that says anything about their group.
"I can say (insert slur here) because I'm also that. But if YOU dare to say anything about my group or have any sort of opinion about anything related to my group, there will be hell to pay!"
It's absolutely absurd! I cannot believe humanity stooped to this level of dividing itself into groups like this. How the hell are we going to get along ever if we keep getting offended and outraged at stupid shit like this.
"Shut up! You are from a different group than the group I belong to, so you don't get to have an opinion about this person that also belongs to my group"
"You can't call these people that, they will be offended!"
You can't even review a movie these days without people getting outraged, because you are not from the same group as the people in the movie. Yes, I know. It's a stupid example.

Guns don't kill people. Physics kill people!

CeetjeBeetje is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-09-2019, 07:50 AM   #463
Magnum
Forum Leader

2018 meme alert, RE: Jordan Peterson

https://www.reddit.com/r/enoughpeter..._backpedaling/

Magnum is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-09-2019, 04:10 PM   #464
box elder
Forum Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by CeetjeBeetje View Post
I absolutely do not understand what's going on with people these days. It seems everybody feels the need to stick with their "group" and demonize anyone that says anything about their group.
"I can say (insert slur here) because I'm also that. But if YOU dare to say anything about my group or have any sort of opinion about anything related to my group, there will be hell to pay!"
It's absolutely absurd! I cannot believe humanity stooped to this level of dividing itself into groups like this. How the hell are we going to get along ever if we keep getting offended and outraged at stupid shit like this.
"Shut up! You are from a different group than the group I belong to, so you don't get to have an opinion about this person that also belongs to my group"
"You can't call these people that, they will be offended!"
You can't even review a movie these days without people getting outraged, because you are not from the same group as the people in the movie. Yes, I know. It's a stupid example.
so, which slurs are you just itching to say that you feel you're not allowed to anymore? be specific

by:  arii

Old 04-09-2019, 06:40 PM   #465
brody
I'm the real Lance

sorry @Rock Strongo, you're gonna need to bring out the big guns to top this

Old 04-10-2019, 11:13 AM   #466
CeetjeBeetje
Brick fucking MASTER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by box elder View Post
so, which slurs are you just itching to say that you feel you're not allowed to anymore? be specific
That is not what I'm trying to say at all. It probably has to do with me not being able to get my statement across clearly and efficiently with text like this.
But what I'm trying to say is that a lot of people get offended the moment their group (no specifics here) gets mentioned, they get overly defensive and everybody has to know how awful it is that they got offended. It's not even about hateful slurs and alike, just any mention of their group by any person not belonging to their group.
It's just part of life in a multicultural society, isn't it? The only thing we can do is to build up a personal shield and eventually being able to ignore the assholes that try to hurt us.
Making a massive outrage every time over something that was said on the news or on the internet or on the street, gets us nowhere. We just become a society of thin skinned weaklings, withdrawing to their respective safe-spaces every time we get offended. Getting offended is part of life, just like buying groceries. It's not that big of a deal.
And if you don't agree with me, that's fine. But that doesn't make me the bad guy. It just means we have different opinions on this matter.

Old 04-10-2019, 11:34 AM   #467
DAntae
Hardcore Boarder

Sean I did not think that was what Ceetje was going for. I took it as more of the constant fake outrage. Look I would love for everyone just to be cool and let people live how they want. That is how I was raised even when my dad was a target of racism all the time.

too often on all sides there is this quick reaction from many who just have agendas. when someone acts in a manner that demonstrates hatred and puts someone in danger (physically/mentally, educationally and in earning a fair wage) whether it be racial, gender or sexual orientation. when those instances occur I am down to be vocal and let everyone know it.

now there is plenty of that hate being spewed, and it makes me question people I have known for years who share some of these opinions and thoughts with me. like people who grew up with me, family friends etc. they will share displeasure over certain minorities, or with gay and now the transgender hate is rolling out. all I can do is point out to them how my dad shared some of his many experiences of racism he received. hell he had to go 3 states away to marry my mom.

the response is usually, 'thats not the same. Ernie was a good guy.' Well yeah my dad was the best person I have ever known, but there are way more good people in my opinion than the assholes who spew shit. After this usual discussion if they spew the same shit around me ever again I just no longer talk to them. I do not return the hate I just cut it out.

I thought I had a point to this post, but it just turned into me rambling. sorry guys.

DAntae is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-11-2019, 09:41 AM   #468
box elder
Forum Leader

i mean, you specifically complained that certain people are not being allowed to use "slurs" against groups they're not a part of, sooo

i just find it ridiculous that the blame of "dividing people" always falls on the marginalized. it's like, why aren't you blasting the ones being offensive for dividing people instead of only the offended? why is their behavior seen as some kind of foregone conclusion and the victims better just shut up and take it or else they're snowflakes in a safe space? why not flip it and say that people who think their racial "jokes" or whatever are somehow sacrosanct and above criticism are the ones demanding a "safe space"? i mean, think about it. the argument boils down to "how dare you criticize me criticizing you?"

but, "just any mention of their group by any person not belonging to their group" -- i'm gonna need some citations here. it sounds like you've made up your mind that the "pc thugs" are run amok and you're seeing it where it doesn't exist and not critically thinking about it anymore. which ironically is exactly what you accuse others of

by:  arii

Old 04-12-2019, 07:09 AM   #469
CeetjeBeetje
Brick fucking MASTER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by box elder View Post
i mean, you specifically complained that certain people are not being allowed to use "slurs" against groups they're not a part of, sooo
Where exactly are you getting this from? I never complained about certain people not being able to use slurs. Don't put words in my mouth.

You can't be offensive without at least a single person being offended. If we would have to blast everyone who's being offensive, we'd literally have to blast everyone for being offensive.
That's the point I'm trying to make here. If someone is saying something "offensive", but you're not offended by it, how could it be offensive? And I get that there are some shitty people trying their best to be as offensive as possible. I'm not saying that that is ok. It's pretty clear to most people what the worst things are to say to someone.
I'm not talking about that and I'm certainly not condoning that. Please stop assuming that I do.

What I'm trying to get across is that where the line is regarding what is offensive and what is not offensive, is incredibly vague. Even when you try to be as pc as possible, someone, somewhere will be offended. You can never be completely inoffensive. So what should we do about that then?
Could we possibly be less offended by a lot of things going on in our lives? If so, the amount of offensive people will go down fast.

Old 04-12-2019, 08:34 AM   #470
box elder
Forum Leader

Quote:
and speaking of being vague, i asked you for specific instances of "just any mention of their group by any person not belonging to their group" causing an outrage, and you ignored me which i'll assume means you're just talking out of your ass and regurgitating anti-feminist gamer youtubers

Last edited by box elder; 04-12-2019 at 10:50 AM.
by:  brody

Old 04-13-2019, 07:04 PM   #471
rubber cat
pineapple shoes

I remember feeling obligated to link to a definition of trigger warning in one of my something awful articles, which now seems very antiquated in the trump era

rubber cat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-14-2019, 08:42 AM   #472
benjamin
-

Oh good the thread is going to get as bad as it originally was.

benjamin is offline   Reply With Quote
by:  chris

Old 04-14-2019, 03:21 PM   #473
box elder
Forum Leader

I won’t be responding anymore so don’t worry about it

Old 04-15-2019, 07:10 AM   #474
CeetjeBeetje
Brick fucking MASTER!

Yeah, I used the word slur. So? Where do I complain about not being able to use slurs myself?
"But if YOU dare to say anything about my group or have any sort of opinion about anything related to my group, there will be hell to pay!" NOT slurs and not talking about myself specifically.

Here's your example:
https://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkai.../#45fc0338247c
This is just the first example that came to mind. I'm not a misogynist or whatever, so don't go assuming that.

Another great assumption, but that doesn't make it true. I just didn't understand that you required me to provide an example. Can't I just be stupid and completely missed that, instead of being called "talking out of your ass and regurgitating anti-feminist gamer youtubers"?

I'm trying to stay at least a bit friendly in my replies, but if you feel the need to shout me down like that, that's kinda childish. You do realize we were just having a disagreement and can stay nice to each other?

Calm down.

Old 04-15-2019, 02:53 PM   #475
DAntae
Hardcore Boarder

guys, guys I met Beto friday night. we discussed gun control, ghostbusters and a little GOT. everything is going to be ok.

Old 04-15-2019, 03:59 PM   #476
box elder
Forum Leader

Quote:
i know i said i wasn't going to reply anymore, but out of curiosity, what exactly in that story do you consider "just any mention of their group by any person not belonging to their group causing an outrage?"

Old 04-15-2019, 09:10 PM   #477
kupomog

Clicked on a random back page and saw a post from Cole

Old 04-16-2019, 07:24 AM   #478
CeetjeBeetje
Brick fucking MASTER!

The "40-year-old white dudes" were outraged that Brie Larson said in one of her speeches that she doesn't want to know the opinion of some 40-year-old white dudes about this movie she saw. I haven't seen A Wrinkle In Time, but I think it has a cast of black women. So that's why she apparently believes "40-year-old white dudes" opinions don't matter and should not write about this movie.
The writer used the word "silly" to describe this controversy. That's exactly what it is: silly. That's how I perceive it at least.
It's silly from both sides. Brie Larson has made some silly remarks and the "white dudes" got upset over it and did some silly stuff, like trying to boycott her Marvel movie.

It's outrage over something very silly.

Something different.
I do admire Stephen Fry for his ability to articulate. This short bit of him on political correctness is very interesting, in my opinion:

Old 04-16-2019, 01:37 PM   #479
kupomog

What Brie Larson said in her "speech" seems to have gone through some warping that resulted in lot of angry bitches. She essentially said "but can we have more chairs at the Press table for POC and women?" rather than "can we take away all the chairs of all these whites from the entire world?" which is the cry of women and "coloreds" since the dawn of ... us having a voice.

Quote:
In the same style of harassment internet campaigns that have targeted women and minorities in video games, comics, and geek-branded film franchises like Ghostbusters and Star Wars, reactionary trolls have burped up a deluge of content targeting Larson and Captain Marvel in recent weeks. Most of it claims to be outraged over the notion that Larson hates white men, which is what someone might take from the following out-of-context quote by Larson if it were relayed through a 30-person game of telephone in which everyone has cotton balls stuffed in their mouths and is also mostly deaf:

“About a year ago, I started paying attention to what my press days looked like and the critics reviewing movies, and noticed it appeared to be overwhelmingly white male,” Larson told Marie Claire interviewer Keah Brown, a disabled journalist the actress handpicked for the gig. “So, I spoke to Dr. Stacy Smith at the USC Annenberg Inclusion Initiative, who put together a study to confirm that. Moving forward, I decided to make sure my press days were more inclusive. After speaking with you, the film critic Valerie Complex and a few other women of color, it sounded like across the board they weren’t getting the same opportunities as others. When I talked to the facilities that weren’t providing it, they all had different excuses.”

by:  box elder

Old 04-17-2019, 12:20 PM   #480
DAntae
Hardcore Boarder

diversity good. fire bad.

User Tag List