Boards & Rec
Old 03-14-2017, 11:37 AM   #751
DAntae
Hardcore Boarder

agreed. I liked benjamin, but you knew he had to die to make ezekiel change his stance. nothing else would have had that kind of impact.

also lennie james is by far the best actor on the show, especially the recurring cast. I have enjoyed all his other performances and I sometimes wonder why in the hell is he on this show. they are fortunate to have him. I know its a blockbuster show, but still he is way out of everyone's league.

DAntae is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-06-2018, 09:21 PM   #752
Pax
the heartbreaker

So I dunno if anyone cares about this shitty show anymore, but you can rejoice because Rick and Maggie are leaving in S9.

So in other words, it's dooooomed

Pax is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-07-2018, 11:27 AM   #753
DAntae
Hardcore Boarder

it is doomed as far as being a show to thoroughly enjoy...but that has been the case for a few seasons now.

doomed as in the show will be ending because of these departures...not likely. the ratings are down but they still are high for a Sunday time slot. plus this is AMC. they are going to milk this universe for all its got. not to mention the reports are saying the character of Rick Grimes will not be killed off, but just departs. of course this always leaves the door open for a return.

the last two seasons have been poor, but I kept watching...and I will continue I suppose. I do not hate the show, but I know what kind of story could be told from reading the comics. whenever the show tries to make a change or branch off from the comic it fails. big time.

sort of on topic I enjoyed fear the walking dead season 3. a lot of unexpected twists, some interesting characters (especially Troy), etc. so then the time jump and bring in Morgan and now thie current season fear is starting to suffer the same problems. oh well.

Old 06-08-2018, 06:49 AM   #754
CeetjeBeetje
Brick fucking MASTER!

I watched the first 3 episodes of the last season (the eighth, right?), but after that I couldn't be bothered anymore. I watched 5 minute sum-ups of every episode on Funny or Die after that. I thought I would get the jist of it. It's been declining for me since season 5, but I always enjoyed watching it anyway. When Negan showed up is when it got really stupid and ridiculous in my opinion.
I'll tune in for season 9 again, I guess. We'll see.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Guns don't kill people. Physics kill people!

CeetjeBeetje is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-08-2018, 10:33 AM   #755
DAntae
Hardcore Boarder

^ then dude you missed out....on absolutely nothing.

Old 06-08-2018, 12:00 PM   #756
DAntae
Hardcore Boarder

well the show has made some major missteps from the beginning, trying toforce some differences from the comics.

so yeah I actually like the Negan portrayal on the show, and I thought Dwight was done very well. I think the impact would have been better if Abe would have gotten his comic death earlier instead of Denise. That way it would have been closer to the impact of the comic. everyone knew Glen was going to die, no need to add anyone else to that iconic scene from the comic.

comic spoilers below for people who have not read.

It is the earlier mistakes that sort of ruined what we would have had with the governor. Clearly I think it starts with the change of the Andrea character. This messed up the Dale dynamic.

That lead to the weird relationship with the governor on the show. The Michonne/Governor story is what was missing. Then the eventual Andrea and Rick relationship is missed due to the changes in story/character. I mean to me personally nothing with Rick and Michonne on the show comes close to Rick and Andrea in the comic.

If you mean the changing of the governor, they also bungled that. he is a far more interesting character because you always knew where he stood. on the show the 2 sides to him they tried to show just did not work.

how did I write that much. haha

Old 11-14-2018, 03:51 PM   #757
DAntae
Hardcore Boarder

I have found this season far more enjoyable as a viewer. I do agree on the time jumps (actually there have been 3 this season). I do enjoy Judith as a character after the jump. that kid has some acting chops. I enjoy seeing the show as a true ensemble again.

last episode I loved the Judith/Negan convo. it just seemed natural to me. also loved the end of the episode and knowing what is on the horizon. when the fair was mentioned I got a slight chill.

what I did not like was Rick and Michonne having a kid. Judith will carry on the Grimes name, no need to add to it. just seems forced. they did sort of hint at it in Rick's final episode, they were in bed and made some joke about building for the future. it was not subtle but that has never been what the show has been about.

do you think Maggie is still leading hilltop in the future or has Enid taken over?

Also I just learned that young Henry and old Henry are bothers and the actress who played Sophia is the sister. speaking of Henry I guess he may take on the Carl role with the  whisperer story arc. 

the tone of Michonne may have to do with the scar on her back? that has to play in such it was so prominently shows. as for the communities, we have not seen much. The season has mostly featured the camp settlement for the bridge with slight glimpses of the communities before the time jump. the lack of focus makes me think the sets have had some major changes. guess we will find out.

Old 11-15-2018, 08:01 AM   #758
CeetjeBeetje
Brick fucking MASTER!

I absolutely haven't even tried to follow this show anymore. I have no clue were it's going since around when King Dreadlocks got shot.
You guys seem to enjoy it at least a little bit. I think I will try to check it out again..

CeetjeBeetje is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-15-2018, 02:51 PM   #759
DAntae
Hardcore Boarder

I was worried that when it strayed too far from the comic it usually suffered. This season so far in my opinion has been a big step up from the previous 2. flawed for sure, but much more enjoyable as a viewer.

like sean said, you just have to know that it has now truly departed heavily from the comic; especially with which characters are now involved in certain story arcs. I think the main premise will follow the comic as an outline, but they have gone too far out of bounds to mirror it closely anymore.

Old 11-15-2018, 03:10 PM   #760
I am Lugash, Deceased
Gone And Not For Gettin'

I stopped watching this show so long ago, yet one of my greatest fears is that the final season will be amazing and I'll have to sit through 5+ seasons of shit.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by Financial Panther View Post
Well, I don't want to be sniffing a bunch of shit straight from a toilet bowl; a large amount is still pretty disgusting. But if I just have some of the smell or a litlle bit of it on my finger, I can take a deep whiff and get aroused by the scent. It always smells good to me in those instances, but not when there is a larger quantity of shit around. I don't what it is about the smell that makes me feel like that, though.
I am Lugash, Deceased is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-15-2018, 04:24 PM   #761
DAntae
Hardcore Boarder

I will say that parts of 6 and almost all of 7 and 8 were tough to get through. the story just seemed to go nowhere. sure you have to flesh things out a bit more for a tv show or movie but man they really dragged some of it out.

perhaps it is all the changes this season, but it does feel like a show worthy of my time again. there is also a fair amount of uncertainty again. that said there have been a few moments this season where the annoyance factor was raised.

Old 11-15-2018, 05:23 PM   #762
DAntae
Hardcore Boarder

agreed. they can still address without giving an entire episode to it. just a minute or two glance at what was the cause/result.

I was also confused with the richonne baby at first. I though it might be her imagination showing her son before this all started. it now makes a lot more sense she was talking to him and not just rick/carl. I still feel like that could be the play, its just her mind playing tricks on her. the woman outside looked confused. who knows if it was because she saw the kid, or saw michonne acting out like a person was there.

Old 11-16-2018, 12:46 PM   #763
DAntae
Hardcore Boarder

my wife mentioned that as well. have they addressed the exact length of the big time jump yet?

the first was 18 months in episode one if memory serves. the second episode then jumped 30 days to deal with work on the bridge. after you know who left...I am not sure how much time has passed. was Judith that young before? I thought when they defeated the saviors she was like 4 years old or so. so 5 years might work for the overall jump...or did they say in the last episode how long it has been in totality?

I sometimes look at the timeline on wiki and it seems really hard to imagine, but does make some good points about certain key moments. so who knows.

there is a theory floating around that Negan is the father. I know it sounds crazy, but you know---this show right.? perhaps in a comforting moment she was weak is what is being suggested here and there. I doubt it.

my interest is on who runs Hilltop. We know it is a female leader, but did Maggie stay or has Enid or someone else stepped up?

Old 11-16-2018, 04:06 PM   #764
DAntae
Hardcore Boarder

good question. there were moments where Daryll did blame himself (mostly when he was locked away at Sanctuary). I believe he brought his guilt to Maggie and she did absolve him of it. I think his character at his core is a genuine good person but never sees the big picture. I do suspect he will blame himself for Rick's removal (I will not call it a death since we did not see it, they already got us once with Glenn).

thanks for the info on the time jump. so that would have made Judith in the 3 year old range. so the new addition could be around 5 years old. I know it is so trivial being a tv show but I wish these details were addressed more directly

Old 01-11-2019, 05:07 PM   #765
DAntae
Hardcore Boarder

saw the teaser for 2nd half of the season. you know alpha and beta looked pretty good.

oh also I forgot to mentioned earlier I know Rick was not killed off, but was just saying it because of how Daryll and other characters perceive things after.

Old 02-26-2019, 01:42 PM   #766
DAntae
Hardcore Boarder

I have yet to see any of the second half episodes. sean, are they maintaining momentum from the first half?

Old 02-27-2019, 12:19 PM   #767
DAntae
Hardcore Boarder

the character of tara never irked me, but sometimes the actress just did not have the chops in certain episodes. sure the show is not a showcase for great acting/writing but most did usually outperform the script. I hope to catch up this weekend.

Old 03-13-2019, 01:55 PM   #768
DAntae
Hardcore Boarder

still have not had a chance to see any of the second half episodes yet. we move in about 6 weeks and time is just slipping away by doing other stuff. I am looking forward to seeing where things go, but not as a show diehard fan anymore. more as a guy who likes the universe mostly via the comic and has an interest in how things can differ/playout.

I am more interested in seeing dwight on ftwd though. he first season was very slow, season 2 ramped up towards the end. season 3 was great in every way, good character additions, interesting story. just good stuff. season 4 introduced some characters I like but  after nick's death  and the constant time jumps it took a big step back. it provides a different enough mood from the main show. so I stay in that universe but get some different stories.

Old 03-14-2019, 11:39 AM   #769
DAntae
Hardcore Boarder

yeah it was recently announced, at least new to me. I guess at some point he and morgan will be together again. that could be a neat pairing since they are two of the better characters and actors between the two shows.

dwight leaving is tough, he is such a vital guy in the comics. truly rick's #2. I thought with rick leaving darryl and dwight would then have that dynamic.

plus you will have the Rick spinoff with Jadis at some point, and I am certain a Maggie/commonwealth miniseries will be in the works at some point.

maybe the end game is to converge all the shows at some point for a conclusion with final totality. I am giving the people behind all the shows too much credit thinking this.

Old 03-21-2019, 02:58 PM   #770
DAntae
Hardcore Boarder

the Maggie spinoff or event series is just speculation, but since Rick is getting one I think it is possible. again not seeing the second half of the season may change my thoughts on this.

as for the comics, I initially got introduced with the first compendium, but do like the smaller volumes better. they have larger panels which save my eyes big time. I am also behing on these as well. we move in roughly 6 weeks, once all unpacked I am looking forward to kicking back and catching up on a few things, this included.

Old 04-03-2019, 04:26 PM   #771
DAntae
Hardcore Boarder

time for me to catch up so I can read what you post without feat of spoilers.

Old 04-05-2019, 11:12 AM   #772
DAntae
Hardcore Boarder

last night I watched the first episode of the second half of the season. it lost all the momentum built up from the first half. such a lame way to kill off Jesus. also the actress playing Lydia already annoys me, and Henry is boring as shit.

I did enjoy the scenes with Negan and Judith. I especially liked when he returned to sanctuary, and just the realization that there is nothing left for him. he had to stop for that stupid jacket and I did chuckle when he stepped out after the dag chase. it was not subtle as usual, that this is his redemption as a person. I am still curious enough to see where things go and see what characters get killed off.

watching as a casual viewer, fan of the overall universe. there were some seasons where it was cant miss original airing for me. those days are sadly never going to return.

Old 04-09-2019, 11:48 AM   #773
DAntae
Hardcore Boarder

@box elder

sean, only 2 episodes to go. I finished watching the 'scars' episode last night. I thought everything in the episode could have been mentioned in a passing conversation and I would have known as much detail as the episode gave. you never introduce a group for half an episode and expect the viewer to care.

my gripes with the actress playing Lydia has been put to rest, she actually has done a good job. It was just the first episode where the character was insufferable to watch.the alpha and beta portrayals have been pretty good so far.

Henry is still the weakest link for me, I just dislike every second he is on screen. the guy conveys zero emotion no matter what is going on. It has been weird seeing a few things look like they may play out differently heading into the fair. I know what is coming in a sense but not sure which characters will be spared/executed at the end.

Judith in limited screen time has been one of the better performers this season. Also to my surprise Tara actually work at Hilltop in this take on the story. All in all even if the last couple of episodes disappoint, season 9 has been the best since 6 in my opinion. pretty low bar but it really felt like there were less standalone episodes this season, until 'scars' that is.

Old 04-10-2019, 11:39 AM   #774
DAntae
Hardcore Boarder

all caught up. I was a little disappointed in some of the selections they had for the big reveal shot. Sure more than half were throwaway characters. I really just wanted one true main character to be there and it did not happen.

guess my new found fondness of tara now is moot. Henry...finally. I do think just as a character arc to make Carol have to lose 2 children is pretty shitty.

Old 04-11-2019, 05:13 PM   #775
DAntae
Hardcore Boarder

haha. man I forgot Enid was up there, that sums up what you said. no real connection to these characters. once I saw the big names all together I knew it was going to be the second and third tier guys. I still had hope that Ezekiel would make his way just for some comic continuity.

Old 04-12-2019, 11:51 AM   #776
DAntae
Hardcore Boarder

yeah I did a rewind on a couple of the earlier characters. they also had the fakeout with Rosita. I did wonder how they decided Bret Butler was worthy of going, but not the husband who does not do much of anything either. the only one that truly surprised me was Tara since she had taken a new direction leading hilltop. I guess Enid was a surprise as well, I just assumed she was going to be part of the future.

I do love some of the fan theories that down the line Judith will lead a rescue for Rick at Commonwealth, etc. hopefully they wrap up the whisperers arc quickly, it has already lost most of the impact because the events leading to it are so different from the comic. all the emotion of Carl being at risk are gone. the reveal being so many throw away characters, or characters who do not exist in the comic also made for a super weak reveal.

its almost like the show exists now for people to discuss how its so much less than the comic version. I try not to be one of those people who always claim the source material is superior, but in this case it becomes more and more glaring each time they stray from it.

aside from Judith, and to an extent Negan...but Aaron is becoming my favorite character on the show.

Old 06-18-2019, 01:56 PM   #777
DAntae
Hardcore Boarder

@box elder

sean or anyone else, do you watch fear? it chugged along and then season 3 was really good, bordering on great. you know good story, interesting characters and just some real conflict that even existed before the zombie apocalypse. it just had an uneasy vibe for me as a viewer, but you really got the motivations for most of the characters.

enter season 4. the Morgan crossover. while it was not the worst thing, because Lenny James is a fine actor, but the tone of the series changed. it became all standard TWD formula. there was a good shock moment/death, and after that moment the show lost all momentum season 3 created. it was so much time jumping during the season that you lost any investment in the characters.

I just watched first episode of season 5 the other day. it now feels like TWD 2. any change of pace, or just a different feel style wise is gone. since I think it has a far superior cast it can somehow turn around, but the stories just seem to be rehashes of what has been seen with new names for the 'baddies'.

Old 06-20-2019, 05:41 PM   #778
DAntae
Hardcore Boarder

I almost passed, but I heard some good buzz on season 3. you should at least watch that and then I would say its cool to stop. season 3 would have been a good end point actually. it had a tone of finality, but would have left a few ends open for the viewer to decide for themselves.

it was almost like a standalone. it had no ties to the first 2 seasons.

Old 07-09-2019, 04:58 PM   #779
DAntae
Hardcore Boarder

yeah I saw that the comic is a wrap. I am a few issues behind and am trying my best to avoid everything related to it, I have enjoyed the read over the years and do not want to have it short changed.

the show can now reinvent itself after it passes the comic arc in whatever sense they are still following it. when they veer off the source material in the past it usually fails badly. I expect that to continue.

Old 07-10-2019, 04:23 PM   #780
DAntae
Hardcore Boarder

that is the book I am waiting on as well. I think the final stand alone release was to have the equivalent of 3 issues. I do hope it was a well thought out decision and not a knee jerk reaction to wanting to spend more time in other avenues of the universe.

The main show is still a watch, but for vastly different reasons than it used to be. fear has such crazy highs and lows. last season and this to an extent just feel like more of the same. at this point might as well just combine them together in totality.

I am intrigued for the 'rick movies'. the little bit I have learned about the helicopter people from ftwd has been pretty interesting, and very vague.

User Tag List