Boards & Rec

Boards & Rec (http://www.boardsandrec.com/forum.php)
-   Boards (http://www.boardsandrec.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   game of thrones (hbo) (http://www.boardsandrec.com/showthread.php?t=84263)

KING_HOMER 03-11-2011 11:15 PM

game of thrones (hbo)

haven't read the book but now i definitely will

Run CMB 03-11-2011 11:33 PM

that midge punched somebody

Big McLargehuge 03-12-2011 12:13 AM

http://www.nohomers.net/showthread.p...%28April-17%29

Started a thread a while back.

KING_HOMER 03-12-2011 01:55 AM

it got like 3 replies, are you really gonna blame me for this

TerrorismYay 03-12-2011 05:03 AM

not counting mine, this thread only has 3 replies.

and two of them are about the old thread.

kupomog 03-12-2011 05:44 AM

This show looks cool, it's right up my alley, and I super want to watch it. The sets, detail, and other stuff amazed me in the previews and trailer.

If I remember to watch, this show will replace Big Love for me.

There. A post. It's not that hard.

Revolver 03-12-2011 12:46 PM

definitely read the books. they're good. this show should be too.

blueguy 03-12-2011 02:27 PM

Good to see Boromir survived all those arrows.

joe 03-12-2011 08:28 PM

the old thread is better.

Big McLargehuge 04-18-2011 03:48 PM

Pilot was great - outside a few small changes/additions (most for the sake of exposition, like the Cersei/Jaime scene in King's Landing), it was extremely accurate to the books. Production values and cinematography were excellent as well.

Revolver 04-18-2011 05:25 PM

i enjoyed it, but i wonder if it wasn't confusing as hell to people who haven't read the books.

Big McLargehuge 04-20-2011 01:06 AM

Second season's already been greenlit by HBO. :bang:

morbot 04-25-2011 06:06 PM

Had been waiting til last night to watch the first ep so I could watch the first two back to back.

Very well done. I'm totally hooked. I can already tell Tyrion is going to be my favorite character. Interesting, funny, smart, scheming... don't yet know where his loyalties & moral lines lay... but he's a fun character.

Having never read the books, there's a lot going on and a lot to take in, but I don't feel like I'm missing any important references... even though there's a ton I don't know yet. They did a good job pacing the introduction & relation of the characters. I've done a bit of reading up around some wiki's today, trying to get caught up on some back story without spoiling too much. I may have to read this series rather than wait on HBO to catch up.

Big McLargehuge 05-16-2011 01:59 AM

Kind of surprised how much they brought the Renly/Loras relationship to the forefront, as it's just very, very vaguely insinuated in the books, and never explicitly stated as far as I can remember.

theo 06-13-2011 06:25 PM

anybody been watching this? the last few episodes have been insane. the shits hitting the fan hard.

blueguy 06-13-2011 06:55 PM

Yeah, it's been awesome. Tough to understand what the hell is going on in the earlier episodes, but it starts to come together later on.

Revolver 06-13-2011 10:50 PM

i've been watching it but kind of figured not many people would be discussing it here since this thread was pretty much ignored by everyone. also, difficult to discuss the series when you've read the books without potentially spoiling people.

by the way, next week they'll be killing off jon, dany, tyrion, arya, sansa, catelyn, samwell, jaime, the hound, and several other characters who've yet to be introduced.

KING_HOMER 06-13-2011 11:45 PM

is that a joke because the fuck dude

Revolver 06-13-2011 11:56 PM

haha, of course they're not going to be killing off all those characters next week. there'd be no show by that point.

KING_HOMER 06-14-2011 12:15 AM

well it's not so farfetched that the lannisters/dothraki/white walkers kill most of the starks and the next season jumps forward a decade to when joffrey's in power and everything sucks

morbot 06-23-2011 06:13 PM

Can't wait for next season. I've already read around a bit and spoiled myself on a bit of whats to come... but I'm still excited for it.

do what donny dont does 06-23-2011 07:42 PM

Its gonna be a long wait till season 2. This show kicks ass.

blueguy 01-05-2012 07:03 PM

I'm surprised how little talk the show got. Season 2 starts in April. Blu-ray is out in March. Happened to run across this the other day while looking through the production blog on hbo.com (lots of neat info there and worth checking out).

NSFW
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ajMzpiyZ4GA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/k5BvNYdcH0c" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

For some reason, he skipped episode 3 and 4, and the first one isn't all that great, but otherwise they crack me the hell up.

Also read the first book and finished it off the other day. Going to watch the show first, then read the books and rewatch the show. Lots of characters to keep straight.

cole 04-01-2012 10:09 PM

i also finished the first book after watching the first season. i was tempted to start the next book, but i think i actually prefer watching the story develop on the show and then relying on the book to fill in the gaps.

tonight's episode was fantastic.

blueguy 04-02-2012 12:22 AM

It was good to have it back and see what events are going on, but the whole episode felt a bit, I dunno. Uninpsired? They didn't do the prologue (only a small bit of it later on) and there really wasn't that exciting moment to set up the rest of the season. This is HBO, it's ok for the show to go over 60 minutes, especially when you waste 2 and a half of them on reminding us what happened last season. As if we'd forget. Last season felt like it had a more natural flow between scenes, but this episode seemed like they jumped back and forth out of sheer necessity checking off characters off the list once we've seen them. Finally, it's sort of curious they didn't tell you where the scene was like they did last season early on. King's Landing is filmed in a new location and looks entirely different and we've never seen Dragonstone before.
Not worried though, I'm sure the season will kick ass. Haven't read the book beyond the prologue yet.

KING_HOMER 04-02-2012 12:38 AM

i thought dragonstone was fucking great and stannis, davos and melisandre are all perfect but it must have made like no sense to a non reader

cole 04-02-2012 12:48 AM

i haven't read the second book and i still liked all of those scenes. they left me more with a high level of intrigue than confusion. if this was the first episode of the series, i might have a complaint. i trust this show, though, and don't mind that time was split somewhat evenly between the different storylines (except for arya ... the only part of the second book i have read is the prologue, but i think the first chapter starts with arya, right? that's not really a big complaint - the formats are so different that i don't expect the story to be told in the same order).

blueguy 04-02-2012 02:22 AM

No, not really confused either. Certainly nowhere near the same as the opening of the first season.

We should probaly keep any mention of the books to spoiler tags. There's going to be those who haven't read, those who have read, and people somewhere in-between.

yeah, I read a review that commented the first chapter is Arya, but that doesn't bother me much.
I'm glad I saw that as my original plan was to start reading after 3 episodes. After watching, I wanted to start right away, but I remained strong. Now I wonder if 3 episodes is enough of a lead.

I also saw mention that perhaps a couple chapters for Jon Snow prior to his events in this episode had been removed. Maybe it was cut for good reason, but it also worries me that they may be a bit more comfortable with straying from the book. I'll have faith though, for now. I thought last year the cuts they made had made sense. What puzzled me sometimes was what they added. 

Forgot to add earlier, the CG on the dragon and the dire wolf were pretty damn good. Ok, the dragon wings might have looked a little rubbery, but it looked like a good rubber. Who's to say real newborn dragon wings wouldn't look a little rubbery?

box elder 04-02-2012 12:31 PM

yeah i think they jumped a little ahead with jon's story, but the missing stuff isn't really important and they touched upon it in the dialogue. it's basically just them passing a bunch of abandoned wildling towns prior to reaching Craster's keep, which they covered

and i agree with whomever said i can't imagine trying to watch this show without having read the books (or watching it with someone who has read the books and asking questions, as i did last season). it just seems like it would be so so confusing otherwise, but i don't know

joel of arc 04-02-2012 01:35 PM

cool premiere, definitely felt more like playing catch-up than really moving things forward but it's fun to be back in this world.

i think i'm the only person on the whole wide internet who wasn't crazy about mellisandre. pictured her being a little more magnetic.