Boards & Rec

Boards & Rec (http://www.boardsandrec.com/forum.php)
-   Boards (http://www.boardsandrec.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Roseanne (http://www.boardsandrec.com/showthread.php?t=42667)

kupomog 05-06-2005 07:22 PM

Roseanne

I feel like talking about Roseanne. General opinion on show, favorite episodes, least favorite, characters, whatever. Anything about the show.

This also gives me an excuse to post new info from today on the season 1 dvd.

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=3377

Quote:

Roseanne - 1st Season's Ship Date, Cost, & Cover Art!
Posted by David Lambert
5/06/2005

Fans of Roseanne have wanted DVDs of the show for a looooooong time, and even the show's star started wondering about it early last year. So everybody was very happy when Carsey Werner announced that they had signed up Anchor Bay Entertainment to bring out season sets in the second half of 2005. Now we have the exact date for you!

August 30, 2005 is the one you can circle on your calendar. We're also informed that the cost will be $39.98 for a 4-DVD set. No other information is available just yet, but we have your very first look at the cover art for this highly anticipated release (one of the most requested items at TVShowsOnDVD!):

http://www.mcnally95.com/graphics/news6/Roseanne_S1.jpg

Please remember that nothing is finalized yet, and everything is subject to change. Stay tuned, and we'll fill you in on updates just as soon as they come across!

Link to this page:
http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=3377
All news for this show:
http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/shownews.cfm?ShowID=3609
More info on this show:
Roseanne

nate 05-06-2005 07:27 PM

roseanne was fuckin great. combined with fresh prince on tvland makes for the best early 90s watching ever

bauer 05-06-2005 07:50 PM

Yeah, awesome show. I loved when Nick at Night decided to put it on. The first few seasons are when the show is at its best, but I love all the seasons but the last. They should have NEVER took the show that direction.

Crotis Jivefunk 05-06-2005 08:14 PM

I didn't like it much as a kid, but Nick at Nite's changed that. I watch it when I can't sleep and this show really hits home. It captures the feel of midwestern life. I'm tempted to get that DVD now.

Max Power 05-06-2005 08:18 PM

loved it as a kid. it loses a little bit of its mystique now, but still enjoyable.

bauer 05-06-2005 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Strong Sad
It captures the feel of midwestern life.

Trash?

Crotis Jivefunk 05-06-2005 08:32 PM

Yeah, pretty much. ;)

skittlebrau 05-06-2005 08:49 PM

I remember reading an article in the TV Guide years ago on the Conner household (really the set of the show) about every prop and piece of furniture and found it fascinating. Was cool to know what was in the pantry, the story behind the stuff on the fridge, the pictures on the mantle etc.

I <3 this show, but haven't watched it in at least a year. The final season really pissed me off and made me hate the show for awhile. Conners strike it rich, Jackie comes out, Roseanne's mother comes out, Dan has a heart attack...terrible, just terrible. The copout finale just...ugh.

But this show ruled my life for almost the entire run. Great show.

kuumuus 05-06-2005 08:57 PM

yeah, the last season was atrocious. didn't help that roseanne was no longer laughably obese.

used to watch this every day on tbs and whenever it was on nick at nite.

Dennis 05-06-2005 09:30 PM

ROSEANNE IS MY FAVORITE SHOW IN THE WORLD!!!! My avatar was the "R" from Roseanne for a really long time if anyone remembers. My favorite character is definately Jackie. So neurotic and hilarious! Favorite seasons: 3, 4, 6, and 7.

Jackie: Posession of Candy Cane is a PRIVILEGE! NOT A RIGHT!

Jackie: GET. OUT. OF. MY. WAY, DJ!!!!!!!!!!

"Maybe I could just never find the right guy and you could never find the... wrong donut."

Last two seasons were horrific. Especially the last one. But 3-7 are the best. Except 5, which annoyed me. 2 is terrible, too, just because there was no comedy.

Lady2Hotty 05-06-2005 09:39 PM

I practically grew up with this show until the later seasons when it lost my attention. but recently thanks to the magic of Nick at Nite, I was able to relive moments from the series that I just vaguely remembered, or completely missed altogether. Like I knew that they won the lottery, but I never saw or knew about the final episode, until I read about it on tvtome, and then watched it on Nick at Nite. I'm still dissappointed in how they tried to fuck up the whole series in the end. IMHO, a huge bastardization. I couldn't believe it. But maybe they wanted to piss people off and be different. But I can do without that episode ever again. Much happier pretending it doesn't exist. The rest of the series is pure gold though. Love it.

The General 05-06-2005 09:48 PM

I liked Rosanne, but not enough to buy the DVD. I still catch reruns on satellite sometimes...

derelictpi 05-07-2005 12:03 AM

I agree that it was a great show until the end.

When did Jackie come out? I don't remember that at all.

kupomog 05-07-2005 01:30 AM

The last episode, at the end where Roseanne is narrating about the "real" lives of everyone, she admits the reason Jackie had so many man problems was because she was actually gay, and not straight like Roseanne had been "portraying" her.

IdRathaHavaBeer 05-07-2005 10:52 AM

yea...i loved that show. i watched it all the time growing up and i love the reruns on nick at nite

Grippa 05-07-2005 11:13 AM

It was a great show. John Goodman is just a legend.

kuje 05-07-2005 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by General GK
I liked Rosanne, but not enough to buy the DVD. I still catch reruns on satellite sometimes...

Ditto. I love watching it on Paramount when I'm bored.

Colburn 05-07-2005 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by General GK

Ditto (oh, and ditto to Luke's response) (replace "Paramount" with "Nick-at-Nite" though.)

derelictpi 05-07-2005 12:08 PM

Thanks Kupomog. I remember that now.

BILLY 05-07-2005 11:56 PM

I never liked it all that much. I guess I was just too young to like it, but it never got my interest.

I'll watch an episode if nothing else is on, but ever since I got a DVR, that situation doesn't present itself too often.

joe 05-08-2005 01:12 AM

Besides the last season, I really like this show... One of the more "realistic" working class sitcoms out there.

caramelbart 05-08-2005 11:53 PM

I love this show

Spooked out wigga 05-09-2005 12:25 AM

First years dont care to much for like... first 3 years. then started to get interested around season4+. Then when they change characters for blond girl big mistake. Ending point for me and the show.

skittlebrau 05-09-2005 12:37 AM

Her name was Becky and the "original" one returned for the final two seasons. Good thing too, because I never did like the replacement Becky...

Necromancer 05-09-2005 12:37 AM

contrary to popular opinion, the last episode did not suck.

skittlebrau 05-09-2005 12:46 AM

It was kinda like a Newhart ending (which I thought was clever), but it's depressing, bad and a total copout to the previous season all rolled into one. I'd rather do without it.

RembrandtQEinstein 05-10-2005 09:16 AM

granted, the last season was basically unwatchable. HOWEVER, if anyone stuck it out until the last episode, we find out that the whole "getting rich" plot was just a fantasy world that roseanne had created for herself after dan died of a heart attack... which i found sort of interesting (from a psychological standpoint, only). unfortunately, it was also a HUGE cop-out on roseanne's part, seeing as how she had to somehow account for the unfathomable slide in quality that the show experienced after she fired all of her writers and insisted on writing the show herself (she had pretty much lost her mind, by this point). not to mention that it entirely undermined the original point of the show. sigh...

kupomog 05-10-2005 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skittlebräu
Good thing too, because I never did like the replacement Becky...

Unacceptable to diss Sarah Chalke, bräu :p

pocketfox 05-10-2005 02:48 PM

Hmm, I only watch Roseanne occassionally, but when I do, I really enjoy it. maybe I'll pick this up. And I'll definitely agree on Sarah Chalke. As with Roseanne, anyone on Scrubs is awesome.

Dennis 05-10-2005 03:12 PM

I didn't like the 2nd Becky because she's just so different than the 1st Becky, which irritates me. I mean I don't really care which one was Becky. Not a big part of the show for me. I still loved seasons 6 and 7 and Sarah Chalke was in those. The 1st Becky was really annoying to me, but she was more realistic.

Darlene really got on my fucking nerves sometime during the 5th season. She became such a bitch. She just thought she was better than everyone and it just irritated me. And during her time at that college she was just awful... Really got on my nerves.